Tuscany Region - Pre Cruise Oct 2012

MERLOTCHAMPAGNE

We will be flying into Florence on the Sat prior to our cruise that departs Venice on Tues. We have been to Venice and loved it however we've heard wonderful things about the Tuscany area and thought we might like to explore that for a few days. We would prefer not renting a car and therefore will plan to make Florence our home base as it is close to restaurants and shops. Our cruise does make a 12 hr stop in Livorno so we plan to do a couple of museums in Florence that day.

Does anyone have suggestions for private tours/guides so we can enjoy the history, culture, food and wine of this region without the stress of driving/directions with no speaking the language???? We've done private tours on the Amalfi coast and it's so nice to just experience what's around you including tasting the wines....

You might look at this site:

http://www.lebaccanti.com/site/index.php

Karen

Karen,

Thank you! Just what I was looking for. I have read the numerous threads and most of them have tours that originate from Rome. I am quite familiar with Rome Cabs and RomeinLimos from previous visits but I was hoping to find someone that tours just in that area without paying for them to drive in from Rome since we'll be staying in Florence.

Karen,

Thank you! Just what I was looking for. I have read the numerous threads and most of them have tours that originate from Rome. I am quite familiar with Rome Cabs and RomeinLimos from previous visits but I was hoping to find someone that tours just in that area without paying for them to drive in from Rome since we'll be staying in Florence.

Rome in Limo has an operation in Florence. They are not "driving in from Rome".

We will be flying into Florence on the Sat prior to our cruise that departs Venice on Tues. We have been to Venice and loved it however we've heard wonderful things about the Tuscany area and thought we might like to explore that for a few days. We would prefer not renting a car and therefore will plan to make Florence our home base as it is close to restaurants and shops. Our cruise does make a 12 hr stop in Livorno so we plan to do a couple of museums in Florence that day.

Does anyone have suggestions for private tours/guides so we can enjoy the history, culture, food and wine of this region without the stress of driving/directions with no speaking the language???? We've done private tours on the Amalfi coast and it's so nice to just experience what's around you including tasting the wines....

You will only have three days in FLorence, which you can easily do in Florence. However, if you can go to Sienna and San Gimignano, do so, but it is best done by car. You might find tours from Florence.

I would not go BACK into Florence when your ship gets into Livorno, it is a long ride to and from for one day. Try Cinque Tera area. While you are in the Florence area, there is Lucca,Sienna, San Giamiagiano, and Chianti regions to explore. Do the museums in Florence while you are there pre-cruise. ENJOY!!!

I highly suggest Romeinlimo. We have done the same thing with them, only a pickup at the train station instead. You will definitely get such a unique experience with a private tour. The added local experience with a guide is something that I try to do everywhere. Just get in touch with romeinlimo.com They will give you a great day in that area. We are going next month and spending a great day with Romeinlimo. I can't wait!:)

There are many local tour operators in Florence who have various day trips outside of the city. However, we love to simply rent cars in Italy (we noted that you might not want to go this route) because just like in the US, the best way to explore the countryside and have maximum flexibility is to drive. Driving outside of Florence in the countryside and to the smaller towns and cities is not overly difficult (assuming you can drive a manual transmission) and quite economical when compared to tours. Private tour companies such as Romeinlimo provide excellent tours, but they can be quite expensive if you are only a couple. A less costly way (other then renting a car) is to use one of the larger tour companies such as Grayline which usually have larger groups (often a bus load) but have lots of options. You might want to look at their web site just to see what they offer:http://graylinevacations.com/partner/europe/default.aspx?cityid=23

Hank

With a few days in Florence, there are all sorts of tours available from free http://www.florencefreetour.com/ (which was very good) to all sorts of day trips and tours in various price ranges http://www.viator.com/Florence/d519-ttd?pref=02&aid=g3314 to the expensive private tours others have already mentioned.

The Hop on Hop off bus has a couple routes around Florence and is really quite good.

Lastly, there is the ever popular walkabout. A little map and away you go. Finding that little restaurant off the beaten path to rest your feet and have a drink and a bite is where the memories are made.

I second all the recommendations for Rome in Limo. We've used them, and the same great driver Gianmaria, twice now. In 2009 we spent a wonderful day visiting San Gemignano, Volterra and, the highlight of our whole cruise, a superb munch and winetasting at a local vineyard. We had 8 folks in our van and all had a very special day. You'll be very happy with your choice.

I also highly recommend using RIL as well. With thousands of others who have used their service and still recommended them, you know you can't go wrong by using RIL. They have drivers that will give you an unique experience that you will not get from taking the large group bus tours. And since you are already using cruise critics, go on your roll call and form a small group or join others (someone probably also started forming tours) and split the cost with RIL. 6 or 8 would be the best in a van. More personal experience and way cheaper than the bug tours, plus you won't have to worry about getting your own transportation, renting cars, getting lost and not making it back to ship on line. RIL drivers will give you lots of history and show you a really good time. Also take advantage of tours outside of Florence to the country side. RIL took us to San Gimignano and it's certainly a charming place to visit, had a wine tasting with lunch (only $20) and olive oil tasting...etc. RIL is the best. You will have a trouble free experience going with them.

I personally can't recommend them enough. Hope you will enjoy yours as well.

Thank you all for your recommendations. We would love to have others join us on our precruise but unfortunately, at this point, no one on our roll call is doing a precruise in the Florence/Tuscany area - Venice, Rome and Paris seem to be the cities of choice. 500 Euro for a day tour for the two of us does seem to be a bit much. Hopefully a couple of new people from our roll call will have the Tuscany region on their list for a precruise visit and we can coordinate a tour together.

I highly recommend the tuscany in one day on viator's website. I'm not one for big tours but this tour was worth every penny we spent. It included wine tasting with lunch at a vineyard which was very generous, saw san gimingano, sienna, and pisa. It was a 12 hour tour but not terribly rushed. We paid extra to climb the tower of pisa which was totally worth it. We paid $275 for two in April which was only about $80more than what it would have cost us to do pisa on our own with transportation and scheduling. A lot of wine tasting tours cost just as much where this way we were able to do almost everything. Then you can see which towns you want to spend more time in afterwards.

I highly recommend the tuscany in one day on viator's website. I'm not one for big tours but this tour was worth every penny we spent. It included wine tasting with lunch at a vineyard which was very generous, saw san gimingano, sienna, and pisa. It was a 12 hour tour but not terribly rushed. We paid extra to climb the tower of pisa which was totally worth it. We paid $275 for two in April which was only about $80more than what it would have cost us to do pisa on our own with transportation and scheduling. A lot of wine tasting tours cost just as much where this way we were able to do almost everything. Then you can see which towns you want to spend more time in afterwards.

Thank you for your affirmation of the Viator tour. We have looked at viator... and that's what we plan to do on our first day and then choose what town we want to explore for our other days on our private tours. Rome in Limo is very flexible at that time of the year

Archived