I think my TA is a liar

He says that Royal will not honor any price drops once the cruise is paid in full no matter the date :mad:

I haven't read your replies, but I will add, I did receive a $300 OBC because of a price drop on my Allure cruise. I had already paid in full, but it was before the required pay off date. I did call back weeks later and confirmed my OBC was in place.

He says that Royal will not honor any price drops once the cruise is paid in full no matter the date :mad:

You need to be more clear on what you mean by paid in full....paid in full after final payment due date...then yes that is correct....paid in full before final payment due date and the statement is false.

I had a small price difference between what I paid and the price that was on the web site yesterday (I'm past final payment date - about 40 days to cruise date, and I booked in March, 2010, before the policy change of 5/17/10), and my TA was told I am not entitled to any price reduction or on-board credit. TA also said she verified with supervisor. I can still upgrade and pay the difference (the balcony I am contemplating upgrading is still higher than outside I originally booked.)

I had a small price difference between what I paid and the price that was on the web site yesterday (I'm past final payment date - about 40 days to cruise date, and I booked in March, 2010, before the policy change of 5/17/10), and my TA was told I am not entitled to any price reduction or on-board credit. TA also said she verified with supervisor. I can still upgrade and pay the difference (the balcony I am contemplating upgrading is still higher than outside I originally booked.)

Correct, because from looking at your posts, you are on the Explorer in June. That sailing was on the Sales Event for this week and those prices are for new bookings only.

Edit to add link, save the link for the future.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/RCI_Sales_Event/rci_sales_event.pdf

I'd call back. I think this is wrong. Does your TA understand about the dating or is it because your TA would lose part of her commission?

I'd call back. I think this is wrong. Does your TA understand about the dating or is it because your TA would lose part of her commission?

My TA did understand about the dating - actually the price difference was so small I was not that concerned (about $25). The other poster's indication that the prices on the web site from yesterday was a sale for new bookings may explain it. I was either going to wait it out to see if there was another price reduction (as there seemed to be a lot of my category outside rooms available on the web site) or upgrade to a balcony. The lower prices that were on the web site yesterday are now gone, and the prices seem to be where they were at on Monday. Still contemplating the upgrade - but may wait for a while to see what the prices do.

This would make no business sense at all for RCI. Think about it... if that were true they would be discouraging anyone from paying more than the required deposit before the final payment date.

If you are outside of final payment date, you can always cancel your cruise which is the reason that cruise lines allow for price drops to begin with. You may be charged a cancellation fee by your TA for doing so, but if the price drop were large enough, it might make sense to pay the cancellation fee your TA wants and then re-book at the lower amount.

My guess is you either have a very uninformed TA or they don't want to lose any commission. I went through about six different excuses with my TA on why I couldn't get a price drop honored, none of which were true. I have used this agent for 20+ years and will continue to use her for more complex trips or group trips, but not for any more cruises. She doesn't provide any perks, and I haven't been able to find anyone that does.

This would make no business sense at all for RCI. Think about it... if that were true they would be discouraging anyone from paying more than the required deposit before the final payment date.

If you are outside of final payment date, you can always cancel your cruise which is the reason that cruise lines allow for price drops to begin with. You may be charged a cancellation fee by your TA for doing so, but if the price drop were large enough, it might make sense to pay the cancellation fee your TA wants and then re-book at the lower amount.

My guess is you either have a very uninformed TA or they don't want to lose any commission. I went through about six different excuses with my TA on why I couldn't get a price drop honored, none of which were true. I have used this agent for 20+ years and will continue to use her for more complex trips or group trips, but not for any more cruises. She doesn't provide any perks, and I haven't been able to find anyone that does.

They used to honor price drops. A few years ago, we got a $600 price drop after final payment. At that point, they were crediting back to the orginal credit card used. The policy changed to getting OBC and now it is different again.

They used to honor price drops. A few years ago, we got a $600 price drop after final payment. At that point, they were crediting back to the orginal credit card used. The policy changed to getting OBC and now it is different again.

They still do before final payment due date, unless the policy has changed in the last couple of weeks.

Our last cruise a few weeks ago had a price drop (outside of final payment date) that RCI honored for us as a refund to our credit card. We booked well after May 17, 2010, so that didn't affect us. The same thing happened for our cruise in January. Both cruises we booked after the new policy went into affect.

They still do before final payment due date, unless the policy has changed in the last couple of weeks.

Our last cruise a few weeks ago had a price drop (outside of final payment date) that RCI honored for us as a refund to our credit card. We booked well after May 17, 2010, so that didn't affect us. The same thing happened for our cruise in January. Both cruises we booked after the new policy went into affect.

Both of the posters on this thread are looking for price drops after final payment not before final payment. Whether it was good business sense or not, RCCL did offer price drops after final payment for many years.

Both of the posters on this thread are looking for price drops after final payment not before final payment. Whether it was good business sense or not, RCCL did offer price drops after final payment for many years.

Unless I'm mistaken, OP and the other poster are looking for price drops after they paid in full, but not after the "final payment date" (i.e., about 75 days in advance of a 7-night cruise).

I agree with a PP that it would make no sense for RCI to tell me to go pound sand if the price drops 100 days out from my cruise for which I have paid in full - I can still just cancel. I can see them offering OBC, which seems to be the current practice, rather than refunding my card. But to tell me that I'm out of luck when I paid in full on the date I booked, 150 days in advance, that's just dumb - I can still cancel.

My TA did understand about the dating - actually the price difference was so small I was not that concerned (about $25). The other poster's indication that the prices on the web site from yesterday was a sale for new bookings may explain it. I was either going to wait it out to see if there was another price reduction (as there seemed to be a lot of my category outside rooms available on the web site) or upgrade to a balcony. The lower prices that were on the web site yesterday are now gone, and the prices seem to be where they were at on Monday. Still contemplating the upgrade - but may wait for a while to see what the prices do.

Since the reduced price was there yesterday (which was Tuesday) and it is not there today and is now the same as it was on Monday..........I would bet that the reduced price you saw was for the Tuesday Sale and for new bookings only.

Depends where you live / booked.

If you booked in the UK, they will honour price drops at any time.

We were able to take advantage of one recently, well after the final payment date.

from august 2010:

Royal Caribbean: Book now, and we'll guarantee you get the best price

6a00d83451b46269e20120a5e78132970c-200wi

Ever booked a cruise far in advance only to find out later you could have gotten a better deal by waiting?

Banish the thought, says Royal Caribbean. Starting immediately, the line says it is offering a "best price guarantee" that will cut you in on any price drops that take place after you book.

Under the conditions of the guarantee, announced late Tuesday, passengers who book early and later find a lower fare advertised by Royal Caribbean for the same ship, sail date and cabin category can receive the full difference in price as an onboard credit. Any dollars not spent onboard will be refunded at the conclusion of the cruise.

“Best Price Guarantee gives guests peace of mind, allowing them to plan ahead, book early and get the staterooms and excursions that they want with no worries that a better deal will come along after they’ve committed,” says Royal Caribbean marketing chief Betsy O’Rourke in a statement. “We want our guests to know that they received a good deal from us.”

The new program comes less than a year after rival Carnival unveiled new Early Saver rates that come with a similar price guarantee.

Royal Caribbean's Best Price Guarantee is good up until 72 hours prior to sailing. Passengers who find a better deal must contact Royal Caribbean or their travel agent to request the credit. The line adds that for reservations that haven't been paid in full, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to a passenger's outstanding balance.

Royal Caribbean also says a small number of pricing programs are excluded from the Best Price Guarantee program, and it doesn't apply to group bookings. Full terms and conditions are online at RoyalCaribbean.com/BestPriceGuarantee

AND just to add. IF you do find a price drop that is not a "For new bookings only" your TA can call RCI and have you upgraded to a higher category IF that higher category is at a lower price than you paid.

Yes, I know this to be a fact. ;)

Yup.

Royal Sales Event pricing policy states that if the Sales Event Pricing is MORE than you are currently paying, you can upgrade and pay the additional fare. You cannot do this through regular Res, however, you MUST go through Resolutions.

Non-Royal Sales Event "New Booking Only" pricing does not have this same benefit. The biggest time we see this is with Z,Y,X and W guarantees recently. Those Royal is (inconsistently) saying do not get the same exception as Royal Sales Event.

Upgrades with pricing for existing bookings - if the new price is less than you paid, you get the upgrade for no additional cost, but no refund either.

I was lucky enough to sit in on a meeting with my manager and the Director of Sales for our area and all of this was confirmed. Royal is starting to introduce a lot of "new booking only" pricing that is not Royal Sales Event. The two are not being handled the same way.

Archived