First cruise

ketchikanlocal

I would like to take my wife on a cruise, and need advice. Somewhere warm, what to do, inside/outside cabin, I dont know the first thing and just looking for experienced advice. How about carribbean to start with. Must visit ports? Where to leave out of...where do I begin???!!!

The Caribbean is a warm spot...the southern Carib. stays warm to hot all year long. The East and Western Carib. can be cooler in Dec-Feb....just like Fla.

If you're interested in the ports, then get yourself a guidebook on the entire Caribbean....read it and find out which islands interest you the most...then talk to a travel agent and find out which ships go where!

Personally, I won't cruise without a balcony....the entire purpose (for me) in cruising is to be able to access the ocean views whenever I want, and a balcony allows that, without dressing, combing hair, etc.....easy! Yes, it may be more expensive, but for me, it's worth it.

A travel agent will be able to give you materials to compare all the cruiselines....after reading up on each, seeing the brochures, etc...you'll begin to feel an affinity with 1 particular line....pick that one!

Since you'll HAVE to fly to your port, the departure city won't make that much difference...a flight is a flight!

Well, like the previous poster, I personally prefer a balcony. That's me. Some people figure they are not in the cabin that much, and they would rather save the expense and invest it elsewhere on the trip or save the money altogether. I don't think there is an answer that anyone can give that is necessarily right for you. All we can do is offer our thoughts and why. I really enjoy being able to walk outside or sit outside anytime and read, etc. For all I know, it's a reaction to 2 years in the Navy and not having a balcony!

As also stated, which port is not material -- find the cruise you want and fly to the appropriate port.

Were it me, and were I getting out of Ketchikan, I would try to head down into the Caribbean rather than hanging around the Bahamas. If the weather is cool, the Bahamas can be cool. Of course, compared to Ketchikan in the winter, you are likely to think just about anywhere is nice, but you might as well go for all the gusto and get some really warm weather.

You could, of course, go to South America too and see lots of interesting ports and sights. Caribbean islands vary a little, but the shops are the same in most ports, and there are beaches (you know with sand, surf you can actually swim in) and the sightseeing is a bit limited as far as lots of interesting sights is concerned. (I don't mean to slight the Caribbean folks, but it isn't Rio either.) Be aware however, if you go far enough south in South America, you will find cold weather again.

Look over the various catalogs (online or in print) decide what sort of trip you want, narrow down the selection and then perhaps check out the lines you are thinking of on the various boards and then pick one. You can only go so wrong.

not sure of your finances -- you really should go to a travel agency where you can sit down and talk to someone personally

we also like balconies/verandahs

southern caribbean is very nice

choose a cruise out of ft lauderdale or miami -- more choices from those ports

I'll be back in ketchikan in june!!

Congratulations on taking your first step ... deciding on taking a cruise.:)

I was just as confused as you were when the idea of a cruise popped into my head, and I found the best thing to do was to pick up a reference book on cruising, like the "Unofficial Guide to Cruises" or something similar at your local bookstore (or load one on to your e-reader if you have one). I found that for a general overall view of cruising, reading a guidebook at my leisure was easier than sitting at my computer for hours getting facts. I think the Caribbean is a good place to start, eastern or western, as it is warm, the seas are typically fairly calm, and there is a lot to do. Generally, the western caribbean is known for water sports, snorkeling, Mayan ruins and history, while the Eastern is famous for beaches and shopping.

There are so many variables to consider: budget, season, cruise line, size of the ship, type of cruise experience and types of fellow cruisers you wouldn't mind hanging out with, inside cabin, outside cabin, balcony cabin, and the list goes on and on and on....

Once you've narrowed down your choices, it will be easier to come back to these boards and get more concise feedback by posting questions and reading some cruise reviews.

Enjoy the hunt!:D

Archived