Dining on embarkation day??

Apparently, it's more common than my wife and I originally thought, but it is not universal. We did so on our most recent cruise, but ate in the main dining room on the first night of our previous cruise.

Lunch for sure in the Windjammer, but dinner was in the main dining room, and by the looks of it....mostly all the tables were full :) Plus, it was one of only 2 evenings where the dress code was "casual" !

Lunch on embarkation day is only in the Windjammer, but most people have dinner in the dining rooms. The dress code that first night is casual and VERY relaxed as some people don't have their luggage yet so you can come as you are if you haven't gotten yours. There's no need to go to the Windjammer if you haven't.

We did WJ on the first night because we were tired (and we had come in a day early and had a relaxing embarkation day!) and didn't want the long meal. Plus it was Superbowl Sunday and we wanted a quiet night after listening to all the mayhem over most of the ship. We knew that we had a big week including a full day on Day 2 (when dc-diva was married in Key West). So we just had a 25 min meal at the WJ and turned in. We ate in the DR the rest of the week.

On a cruiseship, casual never means jeans. For some reason, they frown upon that in the dining room. They are looking for something along the lines of khakis-type casual. We usually wear onboard what we plan to wear for dinner then change to more casual clothes once in our cabin.

If that is all you have, go to dinner! I wouldn't let it keep me out of there. It is just that they ask you not to wear jeans in the dining room. That is why if dh takes jeans, he doesn't wear them onboard. Always wears something he can wear to dinner without a problem. Being the first day, I doubt they will question it but when you read these boards many find it "horrible" to see jeans in the dining room. Doesn't bother me at all as long as I get fed!

I think your tablemates would certainly understand if you wore your jeans to dinner the first night because you had not received your luggage. Chances are you will have received your luggage in plenty of time to be ready for dinner though.

Since most everyone has a carry on.......you can pack an appropriate outfit (not jeans....since they take up more room) for the dining room. We always pack dockers for the DH and a capri outfit for me. Have to say however that we have always had our luggage in plenty of time for early dining. I take a pair of jeans for the return home ( usually travel in the winter) but never wear them to the dining room as our host has asked that we not.

Cindy ;)

While we haven't seen jeans in the dining room for the other 6 nights, on both of our cruises we've seen jeans AND shorts the first night - I don't believe they'll turn anyone away the first night. The Compass even states 'come as you are' - it's the only day that the Compass says that.

On the first night if you haven't received your luggage and wore jeans to board the ship you can wear them to dinner! You will see people in jeans, shorts, and whatever on the FIRST night. No, those things are not acceptable on the rest of the nights, but are FINE on the first night.

I love jeans too, but find them much to warm to wear on a cruise, especially a summer time cruise. :eek:

The DH and I wear khakis and a sundress/capris on embarkation day. A cruise casual tropical thing.

I would also like to echo the previous poster's question as to if Chops or Portofino is open that first night?

On my next cruise, we are embarking the day of my 50th birthday and would like to rightly celebrate that night in style!

Thanks for input,

Cheers!

On our cruises, the specialty restaurant was not only OPEN the first night, it was discounted. We went! (it was my daughter's birthday)

etiquette hint: if you are not going to eat in the dining room the first night, do what we did: drop by, introduce yourselves and say "hi", tell your waiter where you are going and that you look forward to spending the rest of your cruise with him/her. It is REALLY appreciated.

Carol

On our cruises, the specialty restaurant was not only OPEN the first night, it was discounted. We went! (it was my daughter's birthday)

etiquette hint: if you are not going to eat in the dining room the first night, do what we did: drop by, introduce yourselves and say "hi", tell your waiter where you are going and that you look forward to spending the rest of your cruise with him/her. It is REALLY appreciated.

Carol

Fantastic idea!! I will do that!! :)

Thanks, and also thanks for the info on the specialty restaurants. Sounds like I will indeed celebrate that "ooohhh my gosh" :eek: :eek: half century mark in style!! :D

Cheers!

We have never missed a meal in the dining room for dinner. We have made 3 first nights there. We usually pack a change of clothes in the carryon but have always had our luggage before 1st seating. You do see most anything goes on the first night.

As for jeans, I guess you could the first night. It is funny, I live in jeans at home but don't pack any for a cruise, I think it is a heat thing with them.

Anyway, happy cruising.

Archived