Well handled "complaints"

lrtjs5

Who has had a problem well handled by Carnival? Last year I mentioned to the cruise director on the Victory that I certainly missed the little chocolate that had always been on my bed at night. That night there were chocolate dipped strawberries waiting for me!! ummmm. In 2004 on the very last cruise of the Jubilee I wrote a very polite letter after our return explaining how loud the noises were when docking. Did not ask for anything at all. We recieved a 10 discount on our next cruise. Another time jewelry was taken from an overnight bag I stupidly let be carried from a bus to the ship. The letter I got back was not nice, stating they had no responsibility which of course I knew....just thought they might want to inform the bus company hired by Carnival...

Who has had a problem well handled by Carnival? Last year I mentioned to the cruise director on the Victory that I certainly missed the little chocolate that had always been on my bed at night. That night there were chocolate dipped strawberries waiting for me!! ummmm. In 2004 on the very last cruise of the Jubilee I wrote a very polite letter after our return explaining how loud the noises were when docking. Did not ask for anything at all. We recieved a 10 discount on our next cruise. Another time jewelry was taken from an overnight bag I stupidly let be carried from a bus to the ship. The letter I got back was not nice, stating they had no responsibility which of course I knew....just thought they might want to inform the bus company hired by Carnival...

No more complaniers...you will be banned for life....

DW and I are Platinum and haven't had many complaints, but in 2009 did the express luggage in Miami from the Liberty. We arrived home and no luggage. Filed claim with Delta, 3 days later no luggage, and Delta stated it was never checked in Miami. Finally someone with CCL said the luggage was still at the Port.:confused: Why so long to let us know this? Will not use this again.:(

Now for the good. Issues with room and MDR waiter on Fascination in 2008. CCL changed our room and dining arrangements 2nd day on a 5 night cruise. Never asked for this,just corrections and this is how they handled.:D

You don't get banned for life for complaining. Now, acting like a jackwagon and causing a public scene and abusing the crew and staff, that's another story. There's a right way to complain. We have had bogus charges (double) removed from our folios and other issues resolved. That 750 post thread was a classic "he said, she said" case and I hope it doesn't discourage those with problems to get them cleared up.

We did have a problem at dinner on the Destiny in the MDR. Several families were travelling together and decided to create a children's table right next to us, with the adults several tables away, enjoying a quiet dinner. We were miserable throughout the dinner, with the kids (these were pretty young children) creating a very noisy, very disruptive evening.We tried to get the Maitre d' to come over so we could ask him to get the adults to sit with their kids for the rest of the week. Our waiter was very apologetic, and he asked the maitre d' to come over several times. We saw the MD as he made his rounds, and at one point one of the men at our table went over to him and asked him to stop by our table. He nodded and shooed him away. He never did come over to our table.

After the difficult dinner was over (one of the ladies at our table actually went over to the adults and asked them to have just one adult sit with the children...which caused a huge argument between their table and ours) we stopped at the maitre d' station to complain about the issue. We were moved immediately to a different table in a different dining room for the rest of the week.

Our new waiters were extremely courteous and attentive and apologized for our experience of the first night. They couldn't have been more accommodating.

Two points I'm making by relating this story: We were very polite and asked for something that was not unreasonable. We only asked to be moved...any dinner time, any dining room was fine with us. Also, the Maitre d' appeared to be avoiding an issue and was definitely not willing to even discuss the problem with us.

So you might have an issue with a crew member who does, indeed, want to be difficult. However, you can deal with other members of the dining staff in the restaurant who can remedy the situation. It's how you choose to complain that makes a difference.

When my first cruise was over in 08 I was furious. I complained to several staff members and none of them resolved the issue. I was devastated and deeply saddened by this. The issue that I had was that the cruise was coming to an end, and I did not want to leave the ship!! HAHA :D

We've had about 7 cruises with Carnival and booked for another 2. I have to say that I can only count about 2 issues with my S&S charges which was resolved to my satisfaction in a timely manner during the cruise. I have been fortunate to have such a positive experience with Carnival, from the Camp Carnival, accommodations, and dining experience, thus, we kept coming back. Whether we are sailing with Carnival or any other line, we have always enjoyed each and every one of them.

The most positive Guest Services memory that stands out for me was when we sailed Glory and I lost my brand new iPhone. I went to Guest Services, the staff communicated such an understanding and comforted me (as I was in panic mode, LOL)...she opened the drawer and there I saw it - she said that a room steward turned it in (found by a staircase) and so they tagged it. I was so thrilled! I asked who it was so I can tip him, but GS staff said that it was not indicated on the form filled out for Lost and Found - either way, I wrote an outstanding note on the comment card and added more tip.

On 3 cruises I have turned in a Carnival Care card. On all 3 cruises they were not handled very well at all. On one cruise a 4 sentence generic letter was left in my cabin somewhere between 34 and 38 3/4 hours later. On the other 2 sailings I never received any type of reply.

When my first cruise was over in 08 I was furious. I complained to several staff members and none of them resolved the issue. I was devastated and deeply saddened by this. The issue that I had was that the cruise was coming to an end, and I did not want to leave the ship!! HAHA :D

Now that you mention it, this has happened to me too and on every one of the cruises I've taken. :(

Now that you mention it, this has happened to me too and on every one of the cruises I've taken. :(

Hate it when the CD tells us, "Will the last 40 passengers please leave the ship!";)

ps--cute cavies

I love Carnival, but I have to admit, it has been my experience that for customer service or the purser's desk, there is no problem too small to solve.

Still, I enjoy my Carnival cruises, but I know if I have a problem, I'm on my own.

Last year a friend and I sailed on the Triumph. Midway on our sailing we had a "wave" of water flooding our cabin. A water pipe had broken outside our cabin.

Within a short time, the night shift housekeeping manager and employee were at our cabin to dry out the carpet. Unfortunately they couldn't get all the water up. Since the ship was sailing full, we only had the option of having industrial fan in the cabin (very noisy) or no fan and smelling a sour smell. We opt for the fan.

The last two nights we got very little sleep. We received a letter stating that due to the issue, an adjustment will be made for the flooding.

When I went to speak with the hotel manager, there were several others who also had flooding in their cabin. The front desk told me that the offer was $90 (or $45 each) for the flooding. Losing two nights of sleep, having a soggy wet sour smelling floor and a loud fan didn't equal $45 for two people. :mad:

The supervisor at the front desk explained that this was the amount set by the corporate office. Unlike some of the others who were yelling, shouting,cursing, I told them that I understand that they were only following policy and that I sometimes have to follow things on my job with our guest that I feel not fair. I asked for a name to address the issue at their corporate office once I return home and thank them for their effort.

Within a week, someone from Carnival main office contact me first. They apologize on what happen. Both my friend and I received about a third of our cruise refunded and a discount on our next cruise. The check for the amount was at my house within that same week.:D

This was more than what I was going to ask for and Carnival showed me that even though I wasn't a platinum, a suite or high limit guest, they main me feel like one!

I think the fact that when dealing with the front desk, I was very polite and showed that I could relate to them when dealing with customer service issues. My momma always said people will do more for you when acting nice than cursing and yelling.

Out of the 4 cruises Ive been on Ive only had two issues that needed resolving. They were both resolved but not without Carnival resisting.

On the Triumph in 2000 we had and issue with S&S and we had been charged twice for the same excursion. We brought it up to the purser and she said it would drop after the cruise. Sure enough we were charged and had to dispute it with our credit card with Carnival refusing to say that anything was wrong.

On the Victory in 2002, I had a tray of food dropped on me at the first elegant night. A waiter was coming around the corner fast and lost control and I had soup and salad on my new suit. The maitre'd rushed to our table to apologize. I joked about it with no complaints. They promised to have my suit dry cleaned on board. Laundry services came and got the suit that night and when I got it back the next day you could see the grease stains still there. The laundry services guy said he will have someone come to check it out.

Within 15 minutes another guy comes to check the suit out and then offers me $25 credit. He had a take or leave it attitude and I still was being nice about the whole thing. My damn suit costs $300( I know cheap compared to some but expensive to me). So I ended up getting $50 dollar credit.

You were devastated and saddened and yet nothing was done for you? I feel your pain and offer my personal apologies. I hope that a future cruise will help ease your strife.

Within 15 minutes another guy comes to check the suit out and then offers me $25 credit. He had a take or leave it attitude and I still was being nice about the whole thing. My damn suit costs $300( I know cheap compared to some but expensive to me). So I ended up getting $50 dollar credit.

I hope another cleaner was able to get the stains out once you got home. If not, they really should have replaced the suit for what it cost you, if it was new.

any issues we have had over the years have been handled directly with carnival; those needing immediate attention handle while still on the ship.

have always heard back with an offer of anything from 10 to 20% off our best booked price toward our next cruise, and once, a 45 day letter.

Hmmm, let's see.

On the Victory, the brats next door were emptying trash cans into the ocean from the balcony. Called the Purser's desk and security was there with lightning speed. Next day we got a 10% off letter for our trouble, which I took down and gave back as I had done nothing to earn it.

Got a nauseating migraine and was unable to go on a pre-paid ship excursion. Since it was our first cruise, I didn't know if they would be waiting for us so we called down to the purser to let them know we wouldn't be going. Very nice, they explained that it was non-refundable (which we already knew) but she would give us back 25% since it was a special circumstance. We had not even asked.

Also on the Victory, we used 4 drink coupons to buy a bottle of wine. Which was also charged to our card. Trip to Purser's desk with our receipts solved the problem.

First Pride cruise, no issues. Well, we missed HMC and went to San Juan instead, but that wasn't just us.

First Glory, I can't recall any problems that I needed to call anyone about.

Triumph, our first aft wrap. The drain in the bathroom floor backed up and we experienced "the smell". It was a port day, and when we got back to the ship, everything was fixed and we had no further issues.

Second Glory, I can't recall any problems that I needed to call anyone about.

Second Pride, I can't recall any problems that I needed to call anyone about.

Dream - not a complaint really, but I stopped to talk to Butch, the CD one day and mentioned that it was VERY annoying that we get a letter about balcony cleaning every cruise while we are on the ship, meaning, why don't they do it while we are in port. For example, on that cruise we would be in port and could get off the ship at 11am, but were told we couldn't use our balcony from 8:30-10:30 am that day. One of the reasons we pay for a balcony is so we can use it, especially when pulling in and out of port, why can't they do the balcony cleaning after we dock or are allowed off the ship?. Was just a conversation, however, I got a call from the purser, and a letter abut the "issue". BTW, this was the first cruise where I bought a FCC.

On every cruise, I waited in line to see the Maitre'D about getting a table for 2 and was accommodated every time.

As you can see, I am quite the complainer, and I have 2 more Carnival cruises booked right now.

The first night of our cruise aboard the Conquest, the seas were rough, and there was a lot of wind. We had a whistling through our balcony door all night. We told the room steward the next morning, he checked it, he said the seal was loose, and it was fixed before the lunch.

Also, our shower drained slowly, and we just thought that's the way it was supposed to be until we asked our friends, and theirs was draining just fine. This was day four or five. We told the room steward, and again, it was fixed by the next time we used the shower. I wish we had known to ask sooner.

Both things were handled immediately.

Last year a friend and I sailed on the Triumph. Midway on our sailing we had a "wave" of water flooding our cabin. A water pipe had broken outside our cabin.

Within a short time, the night shift housekeeping manager and employee were at our cabin to dry out the carpet. Unfortunately they couldn't get all the water up. Since the ship was sailing full, we only had the option of having industrial fan in the cabin (very noisy) or no fan and smelling a sour smell. We opt for the fan.

The last two nights we got very little sleep. We received a letter stating that due to the issue, an adjustment will be made for the flooding.

When I went to speak with the hotel manager, there were several others who also had flooding in their cabin. The front desk told me that the offer was $90 (or $45 each) for the flooding. Losing two nights of sleep, having a soggy wet sour smelling floor and a loud fan didn't equal $45 for two people. :mad:

The supervisor at the front desk explained that this was the amount set by the corporate office. Unlike some of the others who were yelling, shouting,cursing, I told them that I understand that they were only following policy and that I sometimes have to follow things on my job with our guest that I feel not fair. I asked for a name to address the issue at their corporate office once I return home and thank them for their effort.

Within a week, someone from Carnival main office contact me first. They apologize on what happen. Both my friend and I received about a third of our cruise refunded and a discount on our next cruise. The check for the amount was at my house within that same week.:D

This was more than what I was going to ask for and Carnival showed me that even though I wasn't a platinum, a suite or high limit guest, they main me feel like one!

I think the fact that when dealing with the front desk, I was very polite and showed that I could relate to them when dealing with customer service issues. My momma always said people will do more for you when acting nice than cursing and yelling.

I'm sorry you went through that hell, but that was nice that they refunded and gave you a discount for your next cruise. I bet you weren't expecting that.

Archived