When should I be at port?

Im going this august to Barcelona, my ship sails for 6pm, my question is when do I go to the port?

I have to checkout at noon out of my hotel, if I grab a cab to the port I will have probably 5 hours of waiting time , is that too early, is there a waiting area??? Im going there alone, so I would find it very long to just wait there with my luggage, but then again, I have never taken a cruise, so I have no clue when is the right time.

Btw ill be staying at hotel Del Mar which is not too far from the port...Most probably my boat will be at Moll Adossat port.

Another question, anyone been to Del Mar hotel, if so, how was your experience there and its surroundings?

Everything I have read on the board indicates that you can start checking in around noon at the ship (at least the Epic), which gives you a lot of time once on board to explore the ship, grab a bite to eat and then about 2:00 you are allowed to go to your cabin and hopefully your luggage will be waiting for you then. Our plans are to leave our hotel around 11:00 and be there early.

B. Cole

Everything I have read on the board indicates that you can start checking in around noon at the ship (at least the Epic), which gives you a lot of time once on board to explore the ship, grab a bite to eat and then about 2:00 you are allowed to go to your cabin and hopefully your luggage will be waiting for you then. Our plans are to leave our hotel around 11:00 and be there early.

B. Cole

I will be going on the Norwegian Epic cruise infact. Oh and if by misfortune I would lose my passport for whatever reason, would I still be able to go in with copy of a passport?

checked out of hotel at 12 and had them store luggage,,,wandered around,,etc...till 3,,had lunch,shopped,etc..then headed to boat,,,had no problem with check in and cabin ready,,,worked perfectly,,do plan on getting to ship at least 2 hrs.prior to departure...that s what they told me...different cruiseline,,but same guidelines,,I bet...most hotels offer this service,,but can always ask your ahead of time...good luck and have fun...:)

You have two good ways to handle this issue. #1. Check out of your hotel about 11:30 and go to your ship. There is generally little delay in boarding in Barcelona. Once on-board have your lunch (this saves you money over eating in town). After lunch you can go back into town (there is a cheap local bus that stops right across from the terminal building, you could pay for the ship's shuttle, you could take a taxi or you can even walk (about 30 min). #2. Check out of your hotel by noon (usually the requirement) and have the bellman hold your luggage (all hotels have a locked secure room for this). You can spend a few hour in town. Then grab a taxi to your ship about 3.

Hank

Our experience with embarkation was a breeze. Now disembarking their was a very long taxi line. So expect to wait for a taxi at the other end.

The good news is ill have a shuttle waiting for me to bring me at the airport.

Personally - I would definitely head to the ship around noon and check in. Most lines allow check in around noon and that gives you the afternoon to explore the ship and unpack (late afternoon when your luggage is delivery) and just enjoy your cruise ship for the afternoon.

In most cases a 6PM departure would require you to be on board at least by 4:30 in any event. Double check with the cruise line to make sure you understand the latest you can arrive to check in and the latest you can board after you are checked in.

If you check-in and have no desire to explore the ship and relax on board then take a taxi or bus (about 5 euro taxi and 2 euro bus) back to the food of Ramblas and explore a bit on foot then take the same back, allowing plenty of time to get back on the ship.

This is what we've always done. We usually just stay on the ship although once in Barcelona we got off and took a taxi to a Tapas restuarant we found the prior day for lunch that was about a 10 min drive away (about twice the distance from the ship to the Columbus monument). Taxi cost was about 10 euros each way.

Personally - I would definitely head to the ship around noon and check in. Most lines allow check in around noon and that gives you the afternoon to explore the ship and unpack (late afternoon when your luggage is delivery) and just enjoy your cruise ship for the afternoon.

In most cases a 6PM departure would require you to be on board at least by 4:30 in any event. Double check with the cruise line to make sure you understand the latest you can arrive to check in and the latest you can board after you are checked in.

If you check-in and have no desire to explore the ship and relax on board then take a taxi or bus (about 5 euro taxi and 2 euro bus) back to the food of Ramblas and explore a bit on foot then take the same back, allowing plenty of time to get back on the ship.

This is what we've always done. We usually just stay on the ship although once in Barcelona we got off and took a taxi to a Tapas restuarant we found the prior day for lunch that was about a 10 min drive away (about twice the distance from the ship to the Columbus monument). Taxi cost was about 10 euros each way.

Good to know :)

I will be going on the Norwegian Epic cruise infact. Oh and if by misfortune I would lose my passport for whatever reason, would I still be able to go in with copy of a passport?

You would be better advised to put this question to your cruise line rather than in this forum.

My advice to you is "Don't Lose Your Passport".....

I agree. You need to contact the cruise line.

If you are asking can you board the ship at embarkation with just a copy of your passport I am sure the answer is a simple "no". But I don't fully understand your question and regardless you will be better served having your TA contact the cruise line and if you don't have a TA contacting them directly yourself.

Keith

Filbo- we were in an NCL hotel, with transport provided to the ship, and the coach came for us at 12 noon. There were already people checking in when the coach arrived, at around 12.20.

Jo.

There is no mystery to this question. Put simply, you will not be allowed to embark without a valid passport. You would be stopped during the check-in procedures during which you are required to present your passport. If you lose your passport you would need to get a replacement (which can take several days) before you can cruise or even fly home. This is why we advise folks to treat their passports as very valuable documents (they are) and keep them in a very secure place at all times.

Hank

You have two good ways to handle this issue. #1. Check out of your hotel about 11:30 and go to your ship. There is generally little delay in boarding in Barcelona. Once on-board have your lunch (this saves you money over eating in town). After lunch you can go back into town (there is a cheap local bus that stops right across from the terminal building, you could pay for the ship's shuttle, you could take a taxi or you can even walk (about 30 min). #2. Check out of your hotel by noon (usually the requirement) and have the bellman hold your luggage (all hotels have a locked secure room for this). You can spend a few hour in town. Then grab a taxi to your ship about 3.

Hank

What do you think about this? We are flying in Same day as departure we arrive at 1030 a.m. hoping to go right to ship check in then go back out into town for a hop on hop off bus tour of a few sights we really want to see then head back to the ship for around 5 p.m. at the latest our ship leaves at 7 p.m.. Do you think this would be doable ?

Dorsey

What do you think about this? We are flying in Same day as departure we arrive at 1030 a.m. hoping to go right to ship check in then go back out into town for a hop on hop off bus tour of a few sights we really want to see then head back to the ship for around 5 p.m. at the latest our ship leaves at 7 p.m.. Do you think this would be doable ?

Dorsey

Absolutely doable. With a 10:30 arrival at the airport you will not have your luggage and get out of the airport until after 11. It then will take you twenty minutes to the port which means you should arrive around 11:30 which is perfect. You can certainly check your luggage right away, but you might have to wait a few minutes to get processed and get on the ship. Obviously you want to get on the ship so you can dump your carry-on stuff in your cabin. Then you can leave the ship and go into town by walking, taxi, shuttle bus (there is a fee) or the local bus.

Hank

Absolutely doable. With a 10:30 arrival at the airport you will not have your luggage and get out of the airport until after 11. It then will take you twenty minutes to the port which means you should arrive around 11:30 which is perfect. You can certainly check your luggage right away, but you might have to wait a few minutes to get processed and get on the ship. Obviously you want to get on the ship so you can dump your carry-on stuff in your cabin. Then you can leave the ship and go into town by walking, taxi, shuttle bus (there is a fee) or the local bus.

Hank

Thanks we want to see Familia Sagrada, possibly parc guelle, and a few others.

Thanks Dorsey

Dorsey

I seem to recall the loop of the hop on hop off bus taking several hours without even getting off. About 1/3 of the ride was very interesting as you could see the sights from the bus (exterior of the Sagrada, buildings on Paseo de Gracia,etc) the other 2/3 were not so interesting as they really took you to stops where you'd need to get off to walk a distance from the bus stop to see anything. Parc Guell is several blocks from the HOHO stop and if you want to see it in your very short time frame take a taxi.

I've been to Barcelona 5 times. My advice: For a few afternoon hours of touring take a taxi to the old Cathedral in the Gothic Quarter, tour it then walk through the Gothic quarter to Ramblas and walk the length of it. This alone could take a couple hours which is more or less all you have.

We really think using the HoHo bus is a very bad idea for an afternoon. You will spend a good part of your afternoon just waiting for the bus not to mention it is not inexpensive. Since you want to to a few specific places you can easily do this by using the very efficient Metro or taking a taxi. Just read a guide book on the city, get yourself a metro map (available on line or in any decent guide book) and you are good to go. As to Sagrada Familia you need to decide if you want to spend the time and money to tour the inside (we recommend this) which can involve waiting in lines.

Hank

You don't tell us what nationality you are.

In general, you need a passport to take that cruise.

However, in looking at the itinerary of the Epic this summer, it only visits EU ports.

Therefore, if you are a citizen of an EU or EEA country that issues National ID cards as well as passports (the UK does not issue ID cards, most continental European countries do), you can take that cruise with your European ID card, and not necessarily a passport.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I seem to recall the loop of the hop on hop off bus taking several hours without even getting off. About 1/3 of the ride was very interesting as you could see the sights from the bus (exterior of the Sagrada, buildings on Paseo de Gracia,etc) the other 2/3 were not so interesting as they really took you to stops where you'd need to get off to walk a distance from the bus stop to see anything. Parc Guell is several blocks from the HOHO stop and if you want to see it in your very short time frame take a taxi.

I've been to Barcelona 5 times. My advice: For a few afternoon hours of touring take a taxi to the old Cathedral in the Gothic Quarter, tour it then walk through the Gothic quarter to Ramblas and walk the length of it. This alone could take a couple hours which is more or less all you have.

Thank you for your advice I will definitely rethink this.

Dorsery

We really think using the HoHo bus is a very bad idea for an afternoon. You will spend a good part of your afternoon just waiting for the bus not to mention it is not inexpensive. Since you want to to a few specific places you can easily do this by using the very efficient Metro or taking a taxi. Just read a guide book on the city, get yourself a metro map (available on line or in any decent guide book) and you are good to go. As to Sagrada Familia you need to decide if you want to spend the time and money to tour the inside (we recommend this) which can involve waiting in lines.

Hank

Thanks will do

Dorsey

• 4 weeks later...

Hank

I saw a thread from 2008 that said you could leave your bags with the ship's porter in advance of checking in. Is that still doable?

Our flight arrives at 9:15, so we're expecting to get to the port around 10:30. Too early to board, and not wanting to drag our luggage sightseeing, it seemed like the best option. Will that work?

I saw a thread from 2008 that said you could leave your bags with the ship's porter in advance of checking in. Is that still doable?

Our flight arrives at 9:15, so we're expecting to get to the port around 10:30. Too early to board, and not wanting to drag our luggage sightseeing, it seemed like the best option. Will that work?

It should work. At other ports when we've arrived before all the passengers had disembarked they wouldn't take our luggage until the disembarkation is complete (never got to Barcelona port that early). But I'd guess that should be all done by 10:30 in Barcelona and that they might even start check in by then. Personally, I'd prefer to be done with check in if I was at the port anyways before heading back to town for lunch and/or a little exploring.

Archived