A Few Questions About the Crown

KaththeTaff

Hi, we are newcomers to Princess and we are going on the Crown Princess cruise to Norway on 27 June. We have been looking at the deck plans and have some possibly dumb questions sorry!

Firstly, I noticed some of the inside cabins seem to be 'on their own', and surrounded by non public space - except for the corridors obviously!

So if you are in one of these cabins, might you end up being next to a laundry or something? Would that be really noisy? Has anyone experienced life in one of these staterooms? (An example is C312, or E715/719)

Also, there appears to be no deck 13! Is this superstition?!

Finally, what time would people suggest we arrive for boarding at Southampton?

We've been on the Crown twice now and its a beautiful ship.

We've also had an inside room next to some of that large white nonspecified area on the deck plans. Its not laudry area...the laundry areas are marked. I don't actually know what was there, it looked like a large expanse of white wall. It was very quite. It may have been vents or something like that.

Kath, I took a peak at those cabins. Although I have no idea what that space is, I would not want to find out by booking one. I see a laundrymat next to C312, but not sure what the other space is. I hope someone on here can give some insight.

No deck 13 ... I guess it is superstition just like hotels.

Have a great time on the Crown.

I have been in C312. It is a handicapped accessible cabin (I had polio as a child and now deal with the aftermath). On one side is the laundromat. I heard no noise at all ever from the laundromat. The upside of being so close to the laundry room is that you can check on your clothes and relax in your cabin at the same time. I believe it closes before bedtime anyway. The other side is the freight elevator which does have a little noise spill over during the afternoon/early evening of the first day on board when the luggage is being delivered to the staterooms. The reverse happens on the last evening as the luggage is collected and the elevators are used to deliver it to the hold. Even on the last night we heard nothing after 11:30 PM or so. These were minor downsides for a room that has no step into the bathroom and an accessible shower (although the whole bathroom floor can get wet but that is true of any accessible cabin).

Thanks for your helpful replies folks! I don't think we've been allocated a stateroom yet, but in anticipation I was scanning the deck plans and wondering which one we might get - it's all part of the fun of a late guarantee booking!

Kath, we have a roll call for the 27 June Crown cruise to Norway, please come join us, we have a meet & greet set up for 27 June, not sure of the location yet. 06/27/11 NORTH CAPE & NORWEGIAN FJORDS- Crown Princess

Finally, what time would people suggest we arrive for boarding at Southampton?

We used the Princess transfer bus from London to Southampton and it was a nice easy ride, but not too timely.

We were told to be at the bus station at noon, and we were, but our bus didn't leave until about 2pm! By the time we arrived at the port, the waiting area was packed. We got onboard just about 30 min. before sailaway and missed our usual leisurely lunch. :(

I have been in C312. It is a handicapped accessible cabin (I had polio as a child and now deal with the aftermath). On one side is the laundromat. I heard no noise at all ever from the laundromat. The upside of being so close to the laundry room is that you can check on your clothes and relax in your cabin at the same time. I believe it closes before bedtime anyway. The other side is the freight elevator which does have a little noise spill over during the afternoon/early evening of the first day on board when the luggage is being delivered to the staterooms. The reverse happens on the last evening as the luggage is collected and the elevators are used to deliver it to the hold. Even on the last night we heard nothing after 11:30 PM or so. These were minor downsides for a room that has no step into the bathroom and an accessible shower (although the whole bathroom floor can get wet but that is true of any accessible cabin).

I've also had C312 (on the Ruby, not the Crown) and I found this post to be spot on in describing it. The most noise we encountered was from the freight elevator during luggage delivery and pickup on the first day and last night. The laundry room does close around 9 or 10pm, so there shouldn't be any activity in there late at night.

I believe embarkation on the Crown in Southampton should start before noon. Even though the Personalizer will state arrival after X, I always try to board as early as possible to enjoy the luncheon and relax on board. Our car service from London will pick us up by 10:30, so we should be on board early!

Enjoy your cruise no matter where you lay your head on the pillow! Hope the upgrade fairy is good to you.

We were on the Crown in March for western carribbean cruise. Loved the ship! We had an inside on the Plaza deck. Conveniant location to things like the International Cafe. But it seemed noisy. I think the crew uses the deck below. That might be all the noise we heard in the wee hours of the night. I plan next time to use a deck with cabins above and below. Also when arriving at a port in the early Am the captain blows a loud horn which we heard very loudly. Also being on the bottom deck you have to deal with the elevator stopping at all the other floors. This slows up getting anywhere from the Plaza deck to above floors like the Lido deck. The traditional dining room was very confusing to get to.

Most of the "white space" areas in the deck plans are either storage areas or (in some cases) crew quarters. The passenger laundromats are clearly marked on the deck plans, and the ship's laundry facilities (which are rather large given the quantities of laundry the ship generates) are located all the way down on deck 2, well away from the passenger areas.

We sail on Princess quite extensively and have sailed on many of the fleet. We sailed on the Crown last Nov. and found the ship to be very compartmentalized....we like the open areas on the ships instead of how this one is laid out. The Main deck is nothing like the Grand or Golden and those are smaller ships...the Crown pipes in music in almost every lounge area so you can't get away for a private moment of reading. Even the library is a joke...it's a small area with uncomfortable chairs and movies you can rent. I won't sail on the Crown ever...it's almost a carbon copy of Carnival Ships without the gaudy colors. Even the MDR's seem smaller with one level...seems to be more like the Horizen Court with better dishes.

Archived