Cabanas

AtMaui

On the deck plan on the web site, it doesn't look like there are chairs on the sun deck just aft of the cabanas. Are there? I wouldn't mind being out there in the sun for a little bit while my friend could enjoy the shade in the cabana.

On the deck plan on the web site, it doesn't look like there are chairs on the sun deck just aft of the cabanas. Are there? I wouldn't mind being out there in the sun for a little bit while my friend could enjoy the shade in the cabana.

Yes there are loungers on the sun deck

You made a brilliant decision! Alaska can be very warm in June, and a reserved lounge chair with a view may be just the ticket, especially when you are up amongst the glaciers.

alaska-glacier-usa.jpg

Thank you, I was second guessing my decision as we do have a balcony room, but it just looks like a great place to sit and watch the ship come into port, as well as the sea days. Great picture I can't wait.

Well, you all certainly sold us. We're on a 21-day voyage from San Francisco to New York City, will be in a PH on the port side, but decided, what with 11 sea days, including - especially - the Canal, a cabana would be just the ticket! Asked for the starboard corner - the one in the pix -fantasizing cocktails and Pacific sunsets before late suppers.... Yikes!

Well, you all certainly sold us. We're on a 21-day voyage from San Francisco to New York City, will be in a PH on the port side, but decided, what with 11 sea days, including - especially - the Canal, a cabana would be just the ticket! Asked for the starboard corner - the one in the pix -fantasizing cocktails and Pacific sunsets before late suppers.... Yikes!

I wish you well with your choice of Cabanas but be advised that your specific Cabana will not be assigned until you are on the ship.

You'll find the name of your Cabana on a card in the complimentary beachbag which you will find in your suite (they have names like Portofino, Monte Carlo, St. Tropez, etc).

We always jot down the telephone number of our cabana on the back of that card, and then leave it in the stateroom so that if somebody faithfully promises to be back in the stateroom in time to dress for dinner but takes a three hour cabana-nap instead..........but I digress!

Have a fantastic cruise! :D

It is VERY possible to get a tan in a cabana.

I'm the type who NEVER thought that I would EVER have the roof rolled closed, but there were times when, even with the fan and the misters going, I just had to block the sun.

Thank you for your answer! It was just the answer I was hoping for. Booked it and now will just keep my fingers crossed we get a corner one, but will be happy if we don't too.

Hunding,

I have one little concern about the cabana on the starboard side.....and I don't mean to start a problem, but the shuffle board and the golf net are on the starboard side as well. We were in the starboard end cabana (with our friends in the next-door one) on our Panama Canal Cruise and loved it, but the shuffle was a little noisy. We chose the port side for our next two cruises (and had it on our Route of the Vikings cruise) because it is quieter and most people going up to the 11th deck use the stairs on the starboard side as well. Not that I am antisocial, it is just that the port side seems more peaceful. I must add that we thoroughly enjoyed them both!!!

You are so gonna love it!!!!!!

K

Hunding

On a 28 day B2B around SA in '08, we had the port side end cabana (Monte Carlo?) ressrved for the entire cruise. Why the port side? Because we were traveling around the continent counter-clockwise! Hmmm. I think we spent 50 minutes in the cabana over the month on board. No particular reason, we just didn;t get there much! We will be doing the SFO-NYC cruise and have opted for a Vista - will get the forward view from there.

Edited by hrprof

We chose the port side for our next two cruises (and had it on our Route of the Vikings cruise) because it is quieter and most people going up to the 11th deck use the stairs on the starboard side as well.

Hi GrammieK. :)

At what point did you get to choose your cabana? On boarding or in advance?

In our case, we won't be doing a full cruise cabana, just want to try one out, so I realize we will get what is left over (if any), but for future planning of trips where we would like one for the full cruise, this information would be helpful.

Hi GrammieK. :)

At what point did you get to choose your cabana? On boarding or in advance?

In our case, we won't be doing a full cruise cabana, just want to try one out, so I realize we will get what is left over (if any), but for future planning of trips where we would like one for the full cruise, this information would be helpful.

You never get to choose your Cabana, but you may certainly request the location that you desire, once you see the Concierge on the ship.

We have friends who always insist that a Cabana location request be inserted into their "notes" when they book a full -cruise Cabana.

Their request is honored about 50% of the time.

Gosh, I wish that the Riviera would have Cabanas instead of that ridiculous, underused, expensive looking, putting green!

Hello Oceans&Rivers,

Hope you enjoyed Mother's Day!

I hope that I don't jinx myself, but I have always made my request when booking the cruise and I have found the card with the name of the cabana on the desk or with the beach bag full of goodies.

So far, so good!

How comfortable would the cabana be on the Spitzbergen/North Cape trip?

If you have a blanket & heater you probably be fine & they will deliver hot chocolate if you ask ;)

It was chilly in Longyearbyen in August last year

You can check the previous temps

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Svalbard/Longyearbyen/statistics.html

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

How comfortable would the cabana be on the Spitzbergen/North Cape trip?

We were there in early August which I THINK is somewhat warmer than June/July. That's a guess.

Up there we needed jackets. It's not exactly bathing suit weather!

When we were up at the artic ice cap it was the coldest weather we had.

But still ... you'll have a lovely view.

You all are wonderful sales people. I booked a cabana for my Aug. Alaska cruise. I know the weather can be iffy, but thought I'd take a chance. DH doesn't know about this ~ it's a surprise for him! Prices quoted were $95 for port days and $150 for sea days (we have four of them); $500 for the entire cruise seemed like a better deal. However, O would not even take a request for location, said I had to make the request once on board. And it was my TA who called with the reservation.

We have booked a Cabana for our Alaska Cruise and tried to find out if heaters would be available before we booked but to no avail. Does anyone recall when they sailed in colder climes whether or not there were heaters for use in the Cabanas ?

I'm sure that we will enjoy them in any event, but I'm in the process of gathering clothing for our trip and would like to know how many "wooly" items I should pack for our lazing about on our Balinese bed..: )

Many thanks,

Jill

We rented a cabana last summer on our Route of the Vikings cruise. and we did not have a heater. I don't know if they are available and it never occurred to me to ask. While it was pretty chilly and somewhat windy on the 11th deck, we were sheltered by the glass. We kept the top closed and the curtain behind us pulled over. The cabana attendant will provide however many blankets you need. I wore a lite weight 2 pc jacket and pants (think GAP or Lands End) and my husband was fine in his shorts, golf shirt and wind jacket. Of course, we did make use of the blankets. Being out of the wind, it was really quit comfortable. Of course, you do have to make the walk up the stairs and across the deck to the cabana. It was soooo worth it!!!

Enjoy!!

We have booked a Cabana for our Alaska Cruise and tried to find out if heaters would be available before we booked but to no avail. Does anyone recall when they sailed in colder climes whether or not there were heaters for use in the Cabanas ?

I'm sure that we will enjoy them in any event, but I'm in the process of gathering clothing for our trip and would like to know how many "wooly" items I should pack for our lazing about on our Balinese bed..: )

Many thanks,

Jill

You won't be able to use a heater. Egads, think of the fire prevention nightmare that kind of thing would entail. :eek:

The Cabana Boys will, however, make up the daybeds with blankets (one under you and one over you), which will keep you very snug.

Before you pack, I would urge you to google the average temperatures for the ports during the month of your cruise..

You may well be surprised at how mild it is in Alaska during the Summer.

I'd venture that many Cabana holders will find Alaska too warm rather than too cold.......particularly if it is sunny.

There is a reason why it is "the Season" up there.

I was e-mailed a query from Oceania about preferred cabana locations (I had called to reserve one, and expressed a preference) -- am I interested in a starboard corner facing forward or one facing aft? Have I lost my mind? I have no recollection of any aft-facing cabanas on the Insignia four years ago. Are there such on the Regatta? I can't even visualize how that would work. Please advise. I thought/assumed I was asking for a forward-facing cabana. I was assured that my request would be recorded, but, as others have noted here, that cabana assignments are made on the ship close to sailing day.

I was e-mailed a query from Oceania about preferred cabana locations (I had called to reserve one, and expressed a preference) -- am I interested in a starboard corner facing forward or one facing aft?

Someone has lost their mind but probably not you

There is only one starboard side of the ship ...maybe the person asking is trying to find out if you know the difference :D

go for the starboard facing forward ;)

Methinks that this email will turn out to be from another source rather than Oceania.

Unless the policy has changed greatly, the Cabana reservations are simply forwarded to the Concierge on the ship, and the Concierge isn't supposed to get involved in the specifics of your cruise until the passengers from the previous cruise have left the ship.

They want his full attention to be on the onboard passengers, at least, as far as that is practical.

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone,

I realize this is a year later, but hopefully you will get some sort of an alert. I booked a cruise-long cabana for our upcoming sailing on Regatta in late July and have a couple of questions:

Based on your past experience with the cabanas on Oceania, did you tip the cabana attendants?

I am wondering if, with all of the requesting (tea, blankets, cocktails etc.), you felt the need to tip in addition to the cost of the cabana itself?

If so, how much did you tip?

Thanks!

Ashley

Hi Everyone,

I realize this is a year later, but hopefully you will get some sort of an alert. I booked a cruise-long cabana for our upcoming sailing on Regatta in late July and have a couple of questions:

Based on your past experience with the cabanas on Oceania, did you tip the cabana attendants?

I am wondering if, with all of the requesting (tea, blankets, cocktails etc.), you felt the need to tip in addition to the cost of the cabana itself?

If so, how much did you tip?

Thanks!

Ashley

We had a cabana on our 12 day Alaskan sailing last summer and loved it. We did tip extra as all of the cabana staff were wonderful and very accomodating.

Can't remember the exact amount but I think it was around and extra $125.00.