Cabanas

AtMaui

A friend and I are booked on our first Oceania cruise on the Regatta in November. What are the cabanas that are at the front of deck 11? We've been on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam on HAL where you can rent your own private cabana. But I haven't seen any mention of that for the Regatta.

The cabanas on Regatta are wonderful! We have booked one every cruise since our Panama Canal Cruise (and boy, did it come in handy!) I have never been in the cabanas on HAL, but I can speak from my experience on O. All of the R ships have them. They come equipped with a double balinese bed, a table, fan, phone to reach personnel. The cabana personnel will serve you fruit skewers in the a.m., bring you lunch from the grill, ice cream for dessert and/or high tea. Drinks can be ordered at any time and they are always available to bring blankets if you need one (and we did need blanketS on the Route of the Vikings). If you order the cabana package for the whole cruise, you will find a great beach bag loaded with hats, towels and sun products in your cabin on arrival. It is a wonderfully peaceful place to read, talk or just watch the world go by, and no worrying about finding a lounge by the pool.

Try it, you'll like it!

I believe they can be booked for the entire cruise in advance or by the day on board, both subject to availablibilty when booking.

There is a reduction in price over the daily rate if the whole cruise is booked.

It IS indeed hard to find out about the cabanas on O's website - if they had a Search feature for other than itineraries it would be very handy.

There is no pricing and it appears you cannot book on-line but you can read O's description (though GrammieK's write-up is very good) if you look up under Onboard Options after logging in to the 'Already Booked' Manage my Trip section.

I've read some folks are very enthusiastic and others have booked but rarely use them. I've seen bookings both for sun and 'cold weather' destinations so I think it depends on what your after and expectations if you'll get good use.

We've not yet tried one but I think I'd like that view under a shady cover with a light breeze ...

Personally

A friend and I are booked on our first Oceania cruise on the Regatta in November. What are the cabanas that are at the front of deck 11? We've been on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam on HAL where you can rent your own private cabana. But I haven't seen any mention of that for the Regatta.

Oceanias' smaller ships (the Regatta is one of those), also have private Cabanas for rent.

125940.jpgThey may be rented for the full length of your cruise, or on a day by day basis. The rates vary, dependant on the length of your cruise. Naturally, on those cruises to warmer climates, the Cabanas are more popular.

Ask your Travel Agent, or call Oceania for a rate for your cruise.

As you say, the Cabanas can be found at the forward end of deck 11 and so have fabulous views over the bow.

011412.jpg

The Cabanas are private by virtue of canvas screens which partition them from each other. They also have canvas "roofs" which can be cranked open or closed, depending on your desire for the sun.

Each Cabana is equipped with a fan, which can be used alone or in conjunction with misters which add moisture into the air.

There is also a telephone in each cabana from which you may summon staff, or call around the ship.

011429.jpg

There is a Balinese Day Bed, in each Cabana, for which is serviced by a staff of indefatigable Cabana Boys who will be at your beck and call whenever you are in your cabana. They will fetch you whatever food and beverages you require, as well as keep you well supplied with towels.

If you prefer to lunch in your Cabana, they will bring it to you. The same goes for tea. As with all food service on Oceania, you will be served beautifully. Cloth napkins are used, the glassware is beautiful, the silverware is never plastic.

We have very often had cocktails in our Cabana, particularly when the ship is entering or leaving a scenic port. Having a pre-reserved lounge chair with a view is sometimes worth the entire cost of the Cabana rental (at least, it is to us). We have enjoyed our Cabana as much in the Mediterranean as we ever did in the Caribbean.

OOPS! I did forget to tell you the price! On our Panama Cruise Canal (16 days) and the Route of the Vikings (14 days) it was $750 for the whole package. On our New England Cruise (12 days) it is $500 for the package.

Thanks to all of you. I just had my TA book one for the entire 10 days at a cost of $500. I think the pix from Jim and Stan was what sold us. Very similar to what we've had on HAL and the service is similar too. We weren't planning to spend much time at the ports because we've been to all of them so the cabana will be wonderful. Can't wait!

Thanks to all of you. I just had my TA book one for the entire 10 days at a cost of $500. I think the pix from Jim and Stan was what sold us. Very similar to what we've had on HAL and the service is similar too. We weren't planning to spend much time at the ports because we've been to all of them so the cabana will be wonderful. Can't wait!

You will absolutely love it!

One of lifes guilty pleasures is high tea in ones Cabana while your fellow passengers are trekking around some hot sweaty town. HEAVEN!

Does anyone recall the day rate?

In the Caribbean, I believe that it was on the order of $50 for a port day and $100 for a sea day, but I'm sure that the prices vary depending on the itinerary.

I'm disappointed to learn the cabanas still exist. On the Lands of the Midnight Sun cruise last year, only a few of the cabanas were used and only briefly. Yet they were still blocked off to keep everyone from seeing the views from the front of the ship. Eventually, people just ignored the ropes and went into the empty cabanas when they felt like it.

The best thing O could do is get rid of the cabanas and smoking in Horizons.

Nice to know you still remember us! :D

Oh Pam, you know that you and Gerry are unforgetable!

Any chance that you talked him into the Riviera maiden voyage yet?

Remember the little engine that could: I think I can, I think I can, I think I can ;)

Oh Pam, you know that you and Gerry are unforgetable!

Any chance that you talked him into the Riviera maiden voyage yet?

Remember the little engine that could: I think I can, I think I can, I think I can ;)

Only two children and both got engaged in the last two months, with son's wedding in early June next year and daughter (just engaged two weeks ago) not yet setting her date. Therefore, next year's European venture is very up in the air at the moment but for absolutely wonderful reasons!:D I still am floating in a cloud of happiness!:)

I'm disappointed to learn the cabanas still exist. On the Lands of the Midnight Sun cruise last year, only a few of the cabanas were used and only briefly. Yet they were still blocked off to keep everyone from seeing the views from the front of the ship. Eventually, people just ignored the ropes and went into the empty cabanas when they felt like it.

I'm one of those who ignored the ropes but the darkened windows (which are probably great for the people who pay to use the cabanas) didn't help photography much!

It was very frustrating not to be able to find a spot on the ship where you really had an outdoors unobstructed facing-front view.

Maybe I should have asked the captain to let me take my pictures from the bridge! :)

I'm one of those who ignored the ropes but the darkened windows (which are probably great for the people who pay to use the cabanas) didn't help photography much!

It was very frustrating not to be able to find a spot on the ship where you really had an outdoors unobstructed facing-front view.

Maybe I should have asked the captain to let me take my pictures from the bridge! :)

I'm suprised to hear you say this Mura, as you often speak of being a Renaissance alumnus.

The Deck 11 wind screens were tinted when those ships were built.

rn_r1.jpg

Thanks for the reminder! I'd forgotten that. So I retract my criticism of Oceania on that score!

Maybe the reason I forgot was that even then (3 cruises on Ren between Oct '99 and May '01) I tended not to go up to Deck 11. And that was before my digital camera days as well.

Also, come to think of it, none of the three cruises were the kind where I really wanted/needed a full-front view of where we were heading. So a photo from the veranda or the side up top was sufficient. On the Midnight Sun cruise, though, there were several times when I did want that full vista.

Yesterday my TA was quoted prices of $95/day while in port and $150/day while at sea.

Ouch! I'd definitely book it for the whole cruise, if those were the per diems.

There are added benefits, like Spa discounts, access to the Thalassotherapy pool deck, and a beach bag full of visors, skincare products and monogrammed towels, if you book the full cruise package.

I just booked one on the Regatta for my June 29th 12 day Alaska cruise and they quoted me $500. That ends up less than $42. a day. We are celebrating our 25th anniversary and I thought that would be a nice place to watch the glaciers.

I just booked one on the Regatta for my June 29th 12 day Alaska cruise and they quoted me $500. That ends up less than $42. a day. We are celebrating our 25th anniversary and I thought that would be a nice place to watch the glaciers.

You made a brilliant decision! Alaska can be very warm in June, and a reserved lounge chair with a view may be just the ticket, especially when you are up amongst the glaciers.

alaska-glacier-usa.jpg

Edited by JimandStan

We have always fantasized about having our own cabana, and with all this talk again about it, have a question. Is it possible to get a tan in there? I know the top rolls back, but would like to hear from people that have actually had one. Thanks!

We have always fantasized about having our own cabana, and with all this talk again about it, have a question. Is it possible to get a tan in there? I know the top rolls back, but would like to hear from people that have actually had one. Thanks!

It is VERY possible to get a tan in a cabana.

I'm the type who NEVER thought that I would EVER have the roof rolled closed, but there were times when, even with the fan and the misters going, I just had to block the sun.

JimandStan,

Do you think that there is any possibility that the new Riviera might have cabanas added back in place of the golf course? We think we would use a cabana more than the golf course, etc. and from pictures I have seen, it seems that there is not much forward viewing area between the sports area and the front windscreens, which is or was the complaint of many who do or did not like the cabanas.