Cabanas

AtMaui

Yes, we tipped the cabana attendant for his excellent service and extreme care and friendliness above and beyond the regular tips. Don't gorget, he or she is there to serve you however much you use the cabana!!

We had a cabana for our entire 21 day cruise this past March in the South Pacific. Hardly used it at all as DH got squamish the first day.

Whenever I was there, there was no one around unless I called, so no, I did not tip. No pampering apparent. I did tip the guy who delivered me tea one afternoon.

Would not bother with a cabana again. I can find many other uses for $750.

Just my experience. We laugh about our $375 towels!

Mo

Thank you so much for all of your experiences (and WOW! your quick response time!).

We will definitely make sure to tip for good service.

Hopefully, we will get full use out of our cabana and it will really put the icing on the cake that is this cruise!

Thanks again!

Ashley

• 1 year later...

So, after reading the positive cabana comments we thought what a great place to be ( we love to be outdoors ) as the ship is leaving a port, the sun is setting and the drinks are poured ( we realize that weather can be a factor but think elevated blood alcohol levels may alleviate some of the adverse effects). We had a drink and decided to book the cabana for the entire cruise through the Panama Canal. After another drink, questions started to surface for which we had no answers. It was at that moment we realized that we would have to appeal to the experts on the Cruise Critic Board for help.

Here is what we think know: liquor can be brought on board (wine, beer & hard):there is a "Happy Hour" and drinks are served on a two for one cost basis; "Brought-on" liquor can only be consumed in one's stateroom and the kidney dialysis machine can be reserved on a first-come-first-served basis only.

Here are the questions for the panel of experts: #1 Is the Cabanna considered an extension of the stateroom and therefore are drinks made with brought-on liquor permissible in the cabana? #2 Are the Cabana Boys allowed to serve Happy Hour priced drinks in the cabanas during Happy Hour times? #3 If the answer to #2 is no, is it feasible to walk down to Horizons, purchase the Happy Hour drinks and return to the cabanas for their consumptions? #4 if the answer to #2 is no and the answer to #3 is yes, and if one were wearing a leopard speedo, would one need to dress differently to enter Horizons while on the afore mentioned drink-run? #5 Are we allowed to use our cabana 24/18 or is use restricted to daylight hours? #6 Is there anything else we should know that would increase our enjoyment in the cabanas ( other than all the great comments above )?

We are looking forward to our cruise and your answers/suggestions.

Here are the questions for the panel of experts: #1 Is the Cabanna considered an extension of the stateroom and therefore are drinks made with brought-on liquor permissible in the cabana? NO it is still a public area

#3 If the answer to #2 is no, is it feasible to walk down to Horizons, purchase the Happy Hour drinks and return to the cabanas for their consumptions? Yes, if you can walk down the stairs to Horizons

#4 if the answer to #2 is no and the answer to #3 is yes, and if one were wearing a leopard speedo, would one need to dress differently to enter Horizons while on the afore mentioned drink-run? YES

#5 Are we allowed to use our cabana 24/18 or is use restricted to daylight hours? #6 Is there anything else we should know that would increase our enjoyment in the cabanas ( other than all the great comments above )?

We are looking forward to our cruise and your answers/suggestions.

Hopefully someone will have the answers to your other question

5 Are we allowed to use our cabana 24/18 or is use restricted to daylight hours?

You won't be asked to leave your Cabana, but the furniture cushions are removed at dusk, and deck 11 is not well illuminated after dark (it would interfere with the Captains' ability to see from the Bridge).

Is there anything else we should know that would increase our enjoyment in the cabanas ( other than all the great comments above )?

Two things spring to mind:

1) There is a telephone in each Cabana, placed there so that the Cabana boys may be summoned at a moments notice, make note of the telephone number. There were so many times when we just needed to check on something (is the sunscreen in the beachbag?) and the walk back to the cabin seems miles long. ;)

2) There have been several instances where we spent more time (awake time anyway) in our Cabana than in our Stateroom. Don't neglect to tip your Cabana boy early and well, it will come back to you, triple-fold!

011429.jpg

Enjoy your Cabana.....they are essential to us on an R ship

...think elevated blood alcohol levels may alleviate some of the adverse effects...After another drink, questions started to surface......and the kidney dialysis machine can be reserved on a first-come-first-served basis only...if one were wearing a leopard speedo...use our cabana 24/18...

No answers (never tried a Cabana), but I love your sense of humor...

No answers (never tried a Cabana), but I love your sense of humor...

As you know Don we have an aft verandah on Regatta for our June sailing. Does it make any sense to do a cabana? I have wandered around looking at them and I personally don't see what the big to do is all about. I suppose we should save the money for the "package" and just hang out on out neat little B1 balcony. Deb

As you know Don we have an aft verandah on Regatta for our June sailing. Does it make any sense to do a cabana? I have wandered around looking at them and I personally don't see what the big to do is all about. I suppose we should save the money for the "package" and just hang out on out neat little B1 balcony. Deb

You have the best views already IMHO..no need to spend money on the cabana.

Enjoy your balcony.

You have the best views already IMHO..no need to spend money on the cabana.

Enjoy your balcony.

Thank you again for reinforcing my choice. Don & Betsy have also told me about this cabin. I just can't wait, not only for this wonderful cabin but to be on Regatta again. She was our first 4 sailings then we went on the Marina and Riviera and now we really want to see Regatta again. And she is due out of refit drydock just 10 days before we sail. So I guess no need for cabana, didn't really think so.

I have never rented a cabana but we did go through the Panama Canal on the Regatta and I think that is one occasion when renting a cabana for the day may be worth it. The cabanas have a clear forward view on the canal. I don't see the allure for any other time but that is just me.

I have never rented a cabana but we did go through the Panama Canal on the Regatta and I think that is one occasion when renting a cabana for the day may be worth it. The cabanas have a clear forward view on the canal. I don't see the allure for any other time but that is just me.

Actually, the Cabanas' are amazing for Sail Aways on almost every itinerary!

011412.jpg

Returning to the ship from any Port Visit and knowing that a cushioned, climate controlled Daybed is reserved for you on the top deck of the ship

-with refreshments yet- is absolute heaven.

As you know Don we have an aft verandah on Regatta for our June sailing. Does it make any sense to do a cabana?

Deb, you're asking the wrong guy -- we've never figured out when we'd have time to visit a cabana. Between meals, lectures, Trivia, port visits and other activities, we spend almost no time on the pool deck, let alone a cabana. We've recently decided to almost exclusively book ocean views because we have spent so little time on the balconies. I suppose I could take my occasional afternoon naps in the cabana, but I don't think the day beds are as comfortable as Tranquility beds and I'd miss the TV in the background.

But, Stan and Jim love them, and we love Stan and Jim, so it just goes to show you that your mileage might vary...:cool:

• 2 months later...
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the cabanas on Regatta and the other R ships will be removed during the upcoming late spring retrofit.

Flatbush, that is correct. I had checked with O prior to booking our Insignia cruise for this Sept and they confirmed the fact they would be removed.

Donna