I'm gonna cheat on SeaDream just once in 2012...

knotheadusc

This year, we're cruising the SeaDream I for seven days in the southern Caribbean in honor of our anniversary. But next year, come November, I think my beloved and I will be going to Scotland and trying five days on the Hebridean Princess. The Princess has been chartered by the Queen a couple of times and specializes in cruises around the Scottish Highlands, Ireland, England, and northern France.

Like SeaDream, this is a small cruise. Only 50 folks go at a time and it's all inclusive... prices are about the same, too. I'm sure the weather will be a challenge, but that's what good scotch is for. I managed to talk my husband into booking and hopefully we'll be doing that by the end of the week.

I'm excited about it, though I still want to do another SeaDream cruise in June 2012. We'll see if the budget allows it.

Former CAD Amy (now working for SD in a sales capacity in the UK) was with this line and speaks very highly of it. Brave to do in November but look foward to reading your review. As one who is cheating on SD next month in Alask on Regent, I understand the feeling!

FT

I have always wanted to go to Scotland. I lived in England as a little kid. My dad was in the Air Force and was stationed at Mildenhall AFB, so my earliest memories are of England. I may have gone to Scotland, but I don't remember it. Many of my "people" are of Scottish descent, while my husband's folks are mostly Irish.

When my husband and I were posted in Germany, we meant to go to Scotland and Ireland, but ended up having to end our tour early. I figure this is the perfect way to celebrate ten years of a happy marriage. If the Hebridean Princess is good enough for the Queen, it's good enough for me!

It's good to know that CAD Amy speaks highly of Hebridean and now works for SeaDream. I have a feeling we'll be in excellent hands! Of course, our trip to Scotland wouldn't be for another 18 months, but that gives me something to look forward to and makes our upcoming SeaDream cruise seem much closer.

My husband and I cruised the Seine when we were in Paris, but that was before we became SeaDreamers...

:D

Of course, if we do this cruise to Scotland, I'm sure I won't see "fanboobs" like I did on my first SeaDream cruise! I have a feeling the Hebridean cruise will be a lot more sedate, except maybe when the haggis is served.

• 2 weeks later...

We are cruising a couple of times this year on the new Disney ship before we do Seadream. At first, I felt guilty, but realizing we will be one of thousands of people...I may not be recognized! I'm sooo sorry SeaDream!

Personally, as a resident Scot, I would get the heck out of the country in November!

(have a look at the sunrise and sunset times to start with)

I am no greater fan of my country - and a crisp, clear winter day is pure brilliance. Trouble is, we get so few of them - and you can get a month of constant "dreich" anytime from October to March.

You can drink a lot of whisky anywhere in the world for HB prices.

(and Lizzie is not really the touchstone for comfort, as anyone who has been on Britannia will testify!)

It did occur to me that the weather and the sunrise/sunset times would be a problem. We had the same issue in Poland in 2008 when we celebrated anniversary #6. We still had a great time, though. Moreover, our anniversary is in November, which also happens to be the time of year the Hebridean cruises are most affordable. :D

This year, we'll be in Antigua for our anniversary, which should give us plenty of sunny days.

We haven't booked yet... but despite the potentially yucky weather and short days, we still want to. I think it has to do with the haggis. But I have plenty of time to change my mind!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, its official - my cheating on SD starts on Wednesday when we board Regent Navigator in Vancouver. I feel so guilty, but not guilty enough to stay home:rolleyes: Everyone on the SD board is so pleasant when we discuss an issue - wonder if how long it will take me to get flamed on the Regent board:D ZQ VOL has already made it!

FT

I have noticed that SeaDreamers are a pretty mellow group. Sometimes I frequent the Royal Caribbean board because my husband and I cruised them once. I'm often shocked by the level of snarking that goes on over there over everything from smoking to dealing with kids to whether or not it's right to sneak booze on board. Here on the SD board, people generally seem to want to gush about how awesome SeaDream is.

I hope you have a great Regent cruise, FT! I look forward to your review. I think it's interesting to read the perspectives of people who try another line when they're loyal to a different one.

We still haven't booked our Hebridean cruise yet... Thankfully, we still have over a year! I'm actually kinda eyeing the Paul Gauguin line, too, but my husband is pretty set on Scotland.

• 3 weeks later...

Already cheated!! :eek:

Took SD's recent Norway Hamburg - Bergen cruise, which was wonderful... and since we were already in Europe we decided to tack on another cruise afterwards rather than fly back and forth. Unfortunately, we had to 'jump ship' and try another cruise line because SD didn't cruise Venice-Dubrovnik-Venice during this particular time frame.

Once I get my notes together I will start another thread comparing the two cruises, but suffice it to say we are really looking forward to our NEXT SD cruise where we'll once again be reunited with SD's amazing crew and friendly mix of passengers. ;)

We have a two week back to back Seabourn Legend cruise along French/Spanish Riviera coming up in July. Our first cruise on Seabourn after 3 on SeaDream, but since 2 weeks on Seabourn was only a little more than 1 week on SeaDream we're going to try Seabourn this year.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, well, perhaps cheaters and Ragnars do prosper. British Airways kindly found a way around the flight blackouts for our frequent flyer flights and got us set up in biz class to make it to the "new" maiden voyage of the Riviera, a 12-dayer around the eastern Med (in place of the 10 dayer we booked, with an nice OBC to boot) - Look out you poor camels, ol' Ragnar will be on your backs soon :eek:

Yeah, we keep wanting to do another SD, but timing never seems to work out. I suspect our next SD will be a spur of the moment thing when we feel like some Caribbean sun and sand.

Another problem is there is just so much of the world we (especially Mrs D) haven't seen that when we do long term vacation planning there is always something that interests us more than the caribbean. But it is a tough call as to whether I'd rather be riding a smelly old camel or a SD bali-bed :eek:

We would like to do a SD cruise in Europe, but I just don't think we can swing two trips to Europe next year... even though my husband's youngest kid will no longer be getting child support anymore.

I was looking at a cruise in Italy, but they extended it by a day and raised the price $800 per person. Ah well...

• 2 months later...
Our goal is to do one cruise per year and one land trip per year. About all our Doberman will let us be gone :p Other than that we do car trips so we can take him along. Thank goodness Paris Hilton started a trend of some nicer hotels allowing dogs.

We have the same dog issues too, Ragnar. Sorry to say, we are cheating on SD too. Cunards Queen Victoria 1/19/12. Really wanted to do SD but the flights are not near as timely as last year and the prices are ridiculous from Podunk International.:eek: When you add it all up, way too much trouble and $$ to do the same islands over again, no matter how much we like them. Like Disney Jen, we stay on board at most islands anyway. Come on SD, just one measly voyage a year out of a Florida port.:D

Archived