I'm gonna cheat on SeaDream just once in 2012...

knotheadusc

If you are going to be "cheating" on SeaDream in the future, what cruise line are you choosing and why?:D:D

While it happens that our next four trips are either on SD or land trips, we cheat on SD on a regular basis, usually with Silverseas, once on Seabourn and last December on Paul Gauguin. SD has limited itineraries, and only two ships. Silverseas and Seabourn have multiple ships and a lot more choices. And better deals - when they offer business class airfares at a reasonable price, and they often do, they have our attention.

Silverseas has excellent service and we have generally found a wonderful passenger mix; in our cruises with them we saw one child, a toddler, who never appeared in the dining room at dinner. I cannot imagine them tolerating unruly children. Our objection to the line is that it is a bit too formal for us, and I don't mean the clothing - we don't really mind that. We've never had significant interaction with staff at any level on that line. But we've had multiple cruises with them, and we expect to do more.

Seabourn, on the other hand, has a less formal feeling (at least to us) and the staff is warm and friendly. You meet them immediately because they're walking around the ship talking to people. They invite you to dine with them, and they have been fun dinners. The itineraries are varied and interesting, and it is a lot cheaper than SD. We have only had one cruise on Seabourn, but there were no children. Of course, I have read the thread on the Seabourn board, and that my be changing. We expect to sail Seabourn again.

Paul Gauguin was a surprise. We really expected it to be a lot like SD, and did not find it so. While the suite was wonderful (really wonderful), all other expects were inferior to Seadream. But it is still a possiblilty that we will sail their newest ship, the Tere Moana, at least once.

So we have lots of reasons to cheat on SD, and we're hoping we don't encounter more reasons. The only time we had a "kid" issue was on a New Year's cruise, and we solved that by staying away from the New Year's cruise. But should we encounter unruly children on our next two trips, which are both this year, we may come around to FT's way of thinking. We don't need to pay a premium for a product which is not what it promises to be.

While it happens that our next four trips are either on SD or land trips, we cheat on SD on a regular basis.... :::snip:::

So we have lots of reasons to cheat on SD, and we're hoping we don't encounter more reasons. :::snip:::: We don't need to pay a premium for a product which is not what it promises to be.

Zimmy, that was a very informative post re: the other cruise lines - thanks. We've sailed on Windstar, Paul Gauguin (both before finding SD in 2007) and Compagnie du Ponant (L'Austral) in 2011. All were fine but didn't come close to the level of service or food that is offered on SD.

Your post also cut to the chase.... We don't mind paying a premium for a product that is head and shoulders above the rest. But when promises fall short, or the focus shifts too far from the "norm" that you have come to expect, that cruise line will begin to lose its loyal customer base because those customers may be willing to lower (or adjust) some of their previous cruising preferences in order to get their money's worth.

We are not expecting the same kid issue that FT had on our upcoming SDII cruise due to the time of year, but it will be interesting to see how this cruise compares to our previous SD cruises.

We are hoping for the best, since we know SD is capable of providing the best. Not perfection, just a feeling like we've come "home" again.

I don't consider it cheating if its not on a luxury line :). That's how I'm splitting the hairs on this one. Yep, I'm sailing on something else for the next couple of trips - but not all inclusive and certainly not "luxury". So, it my mind its not "cheating". If it were SB, SS, Crystal or Regent . . . then maybe I would be going with a guilty heart. However, I'm keeping tabs on every cent we spend, so it will be interesting to compare the end results.

FT

I don't consider it cheating if its not on a luxury line :). That's how I'm splitting the hairs on this one. Yep, I'm sailing on something else for the next couple of trips - but not all inclusive and certainly not "luxury". So, it my mind its not "cheating". If it were SB, SS, Crystal or Regent . . . then maybe I would be going with a guilty heart. However, I'm keeping tabs on every cent we spend, so it will be interesting to compare the end results.

FT

We have done that and SeaDream compares favorably if you add all the "extras". Hard to price the water toys as the mass market lines dont have them for the most part. The exception was Queen Vic and the Panama Canal. We had such free perks for internet and cabin credits in addition to a special offer for us Privileged Character types:eek: That the 11 days were very reasonable even with the bar tab.:eek::eek: Most interested in your analysis with your review (s). Scary when you get that legal mind in gear.:D:D

We have done that and SeaDream compares favorably if you add all the "extras". Hard to price the water toys as the mass market lines dont have them for the most part. The exception was Queen Vic and the Panama Canal. We had such free perks for internet and cabin credits in addition to a special offer for us Privileged Character types:eek: That the 11 days were very reasonable even with the bar tab.:eek::eek: Most interested in your analysis with your review (s). Scary when you get that legal mind in gear.:D:D

You think?

• 2 months later...

Thanks for checking in. Glad that you have arrived. I don't think I've ever heard of a hotel including your drinks; they must have taken a lesson from SD. I'm sure you are going to have a wonderful time regardless of the weather. It's not as if you had planned on sunbathing weather, so you won't be disappointed.

We're here in Glasgow. It's been a long journey, but our hotel provides free booze, so I'm getting over our 3 flights to get here. It's dark and drizzly, but we've already met our first entertaining cabbie! I think I'm going to like it here.

Can't wait to hear more. Scotland is wonderful...even in November. Does the free booze include a local single malt? And it's dark and drizzly here in NC without an entertaining cabbie. Safe travels and hoping for daily posts.

Can't wait to hear more. Scotland is wonderful...even in November. Does the free booze include a local single malt? And it's dark and drizzly here in NC without an entertaining cabbie. Safe travels and hoping for daily posts.

Its cold and drizzly here in NW Florida and we dont even have cabs.:eek: Go buy a new cashmere sweater and gloves and do the Scotland version of a pub crawl.:D:D

We are at the Carlton George hotel, which is right in the center of town. I have wanted to try this place since we stayed at a sister property in Brussels in 2008 called The Dominican. The Dominican didn't have free booze, but it did have a great rainfall shower!

The bed at this hotel isn't the best; better pillows would make a big difference. But it's charming, and the receptionist made a point of telling us about the free booze and minibar. Our room has a liquor cabinet with crystal glasses and decanters of vodka, whiskey, and gin. The minibar includes small soft drinks, wine, and beer.:D.

We ate some excellent Thai food last night at an upscale restaurant that opened in July. It was a lot of food for about $100. We ordered too much! The place is in a historic building with beautiful architecture. I'll have to research and and find out what it was originally.

Glasgow is putting up Christmas lights right now. The city is teeming with people. It's a very exciting place, and though it's dark and drizzly, it's not even that cold!

We'll see what today brings...

image.jpg.7e086395e3c916d33bafaab0c4d0de2c.jpg

Thai in Glasglow . . things have definitely changed. So even the Scots are moving towards an early holiday season . . .lights in Mid November.

We head out tomorrow for our "cheating" on SD for 2012, but I don't think it will be near as interesting as your trip. Hopefully we will see some warm weather. The 31 degrees as I drove in before daylight today is not a good indicator for January.

thanks for the picture of the crystal. lovely :)

FT

Today is our anniversary, so we're going out to a nice restaurant for dinner. We've had a low key day, walking around. We stopped at the amazing Glasgow Museum of Modern Art, which charges no entry fee. There were lots of feminist exhibits, including one of a vagina. The late artist dubbed it "a womb with a view"...

We're going to be seeing a lot of museums and castles on our cruise, so we're kind of relaxing today and enjoying the scenery... dark as it is!

We are at the Carlton George hotel, which is right in the center of town. I have wanted to try this place since we stayed at a sister property in Brussels in 2008 called The Dominican. The Dominican didn't have free booze, but it did have a great rainfall shower!

The bed at this hotel isn't the best; better pillows would make a big difference. But it's charming, and the receptionist made a point of telling us about the free booze and minibar. Our room has a liquor cabinet with crystal glasses and decanters of vodka, whiskey, and gin. The minibar includes small soft drinks, wine, and beer.:D.

We ate some excellent Thai food last night at an upscale restaurant that opened in July. It was a lot of food for about $100. We ordered too much! The place is in a historic building with beautiful architecture. I'll have to research and and find out what it was originally.

Glasgow is putting up Christmas lights right now. The city is teeming with people. It's a very exciting place, and though it's dark and drizzly, it's not even that cold!

We'll see what today brings...

Sounds like a wonderful evening and a great start to your trip!

Thai in Glasglow . . things have definitely changed. So even the Scots are moving towards an early holiday season . . .lights in Mid November.

We head out tomorrow for our "cheating" on SD for 2012, but I don't think it will be near as interesting as your trip. Hopefully we will see some warm weather. The 31 degrees as I drove in before daylight today is not a good indicator for January.

FT

I think we are the only ones who will be home for Thanksgiving this year:rolleyes:

Happy Anniversary, Knot. I've always wanted to visit Glasgow because my mother was born there, although her parents were not from Scotland. And you're making it sound exciting so now I want to go even more. It's always nice when your pre cruise trip is enjoyable too, as opposed to just waiting (and waiting) to board the ship.

Knot, thank you so much for these updates! We are planning to take one of these cruises as well in the next couple of years so your reports are of great interest to us. Of course, we've already booked one of the Asian cruises for next year on SD so I'm thinking our Hebridean trip will be in '14 or so but I suppose I can wait.

Happy anniversary and I hope you have a wonderful time with the rest of your trip!

FT

FT, where will you post your review?

Last year at this time, we were on SD 1 in St. Lucia and I was having a great time in the piano bar!

I will do my best to check in while we're on the ship... I hear WiFi is free, but it might not be very reliable! :). Can't wait o be piped on board!

Archived