What to do in Guernsey, England and Waterford, Ireland

Our Princess cruise will be stopping at Guernsey (St Peter Port), England 7am-3pm and in Waterford, Ireland 8:30am-7pm.. Does anybody have any ideas what to see in these ports?

I how in Dublin we need to have Euros. In Waterford, Ireland what is the currency?

Our Princess cruise will be stopping at Guernsey (St Peter Port), England 7am-3pm and in Waterford, Ireland 8:30am-7pm.. Does anybody have any ideas what to see in these ports?

I how in Dublin we need to have Euros. In Waterford, Ireland what is the currency?

St. Peter Port isn't in England, nor Great Britain, nor even in the United Kingdom. There is another thread that discusses Guernsey around at the moment.

Strangely enough, given that both Waterford and Dublin are in the same country, they have the same currency. You'll need Euros for both.

WD

As mentioned, Guernsey is not part of the UK, it is a Crown Dependancy.

they use their version of sterling currency, but British pounds are accepted freely and without any question on a 1 to 1 basis. Your change may or may not be in Guernsey pounds/coins.

They should also take Euros in many places due to the strong links with France.

There is much to do and see on the Island. when I went I spent the morning at the fort in the entrance to the harbour, then did a ships excursion in the afternoon to the German underground hospital (very spooky) followed by the WW2 occupation museum, I found all 3 to be fascinating places.

Guernsey is a tender port and is fairly exposed to the elements, so the tender ride can be 'interesting', but of course if too rough then as with all tender ports there is the chance it could be cancelled.

• 1 month later...

You've already gotten the word on the currency. For what it's worth, the Barclay's bank on the high street near the cruise port has ATMs that dispense pounds sterling as well as Guernsey pounds. Merchants will accommodate requests for change in UKP if you're nice about it (and if they have the bills). Off the island you won't be able to use any change you accumulate unless you can sneak coins in England. I just hang on to it as I know I'll be back (DW is from Guernsey.)

Places to see? Depends on your interests. Guernsey was occupied by the Germans during WWII so you can see a lot of emplacements around the island, including the aforementioned underground hospital. The "Little Chapel" is also interesting and will likely get you a chance to see Guernsey cows.

I will point out that DW calls Guernsey "24 square miles of nothing in the middle of nowhere". Your mileage may vary.

Transportation around the island via bus is pretty straightforward. One pound per journey, with "Ormer" cards available for frequent travelers. (An Ormer is a local species of crab.) Don't even consider hiring a car unless you're VERY comfortable with right-hand drive; even so, the rules of the road are, um, unique... I've driven a car once on the island and it scared the hell out of me.

If you're in the high street, go to the coffee shop at the top floor of Creasey's (the local Marks and Spencers outlet) and have a Guernsey Gache (pronounced 'gosh') with local butter. There's nothing like it anywhere else. Guernsey cream is like butter in a bottle.

For me, the most striking thing about Guernsey is just how extensive the tide is. Boats sit in the harbor on their keels since the waterline has receded a half mile or so out to sea. I have one photo in Cobo bay showing a sign way up on a granite wall warning people to not climb the wall as the tide can catch up with them when it comes in. Lots of beaches if that's what you're interested in, but the water is cold.

Right off the harbor is Castle Cornet, which is worth a visit. If you go there, stop by the Harbour Lights pub, which my late MIL and FIL used to run.

Finally, Hautville (Victor Hugo's house) is an easy walk from the pier. (Behind the Harbour Lights!)

Sorry to be the one-man tourist agency. :D

Have a look at http://www.waterfordtourism.com/

Just about the best meal I have ever had in this country was at La Boheme in Waterford http://www.labohemerestaurant.ie/index.html you'll have to check the website to see if they open for lunch

Hook lighthouse is worth a visit, and personally I prefer Wexford to Waterford as a town. New Ross has the Dunbrody emigrant ship which you can visit. The nearest seaside town, Tramore is run down & sad. I wouldn't bother myself.

If you like to read, you may find the book "The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society" interesting. It is a quick read - I am looking forward to our port call there on Oceania's Insignia in September, Hope the weather is good for tendering.

After getting off the tender walk into town and turn left and walk until you seen the small bus ticket station. Take Bus # 7 (one pound each time you get on) for about 15 minutes and many stops. Ask the driver to alert youat the Occupation Museum, or you will miss it. Get off and cross the street and follow signs for the Museum. You will walk quite a ways along a narrow country road until you see the Museum. It is privately owned and looks like a home. It is well worth the time and price. After, walk back to the main road, cross the street and wait for the #7 bus to come (every 30 minutes). OR, you can take the 7A bus from town or the museum that run around the whole island in 50 minutes. You can get off at any stop including the museum.Some people we met took a taxi from the town for L20 round trip. There was a 30 minute wait in line to get back on the tender for the Crown Princess in late June 2011.Also the stores were not open because it was Sunday.

• 2 years later...
If you like to read, you may find the book "The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society" interesting. It is a quick read - I am looking forward to our port call there on Oceania's Insignia in September, Hope the weather is good for tendering.

I know this thread is a few years old but as I was perusing it I was struck by this post as I read this book about 7 months ago and had completely forgotten the setting. Looking forward to visiting the setting for the book.

St. Peter Port isn't in England, nor Great Britain, nor even in the United Kingdom. There is another thread that discusses Guernsey around at the moment.

Strangely enough, given that both Waterford and Dublin are in the same country, they have the same currency. You'll need Euros for both.

WD

Not trying to be "cute" or anything, but Belfast is also in the same country as Waterford and Dublin and they do not use the same currency - so it was a good question. ;)

Cole

Not trying to be "cute" or anything, but Belfast is also in the same country as Waterford and Dublin and they do not use the same currency - so it was a good question. ;)

Cole

Same Island, but different countries. :mad:;)

Cole

Saying Dublin and Waterford are in the same country as Belfast is the equivalent of saying canada and the USA are the same country, not a terribly good idea. So no, it was not a good question. As stated above, they are on the same island, but very, very different countries.

Archived