Edinburgh - ship docks at Rosyth?

Our Princess itinerary states Edinburgh (Rosyth) and overnights (8am-2am) so we are able to do the Tattoo.

Will we need a shuttle to get into Edinburgh?

Can we do the Tattoo on our own or should we go with Princess?

Where would we get the HOHO bus after leaving the ship?

You can go it alone, you will need to get a cab to Inverkeithing station to get the train into Edinburgh Waverley, however you would need to make sure there was a train back late enough for you after the tattoo is finished, its not far from the station to the esplanade but it can take a bit to clear the area. Or you could get a cab all the way - it would take 40 minutes ish.

You would get the HOHO from Waverley Bridge right outside the station.

BTW were you on Grand Princess a couple of years ago stopping in Bruges amongst others, I seem to recognise your name?

You can go it alone, you will need to get a cab to Inverkeithing station to get the train into Edinburgh Waverley, however you would need to make sure there was a train back late enough for you after the tattoo is finished, its not far from the station to the esplanade but it can take a bit to clear the area. Or you could get a cab all the way - it would take 40 minutes ish.

You would get the HOHO from Waverley Bridge right outside the station.

BTW were you on Grand Princess a couple of years ago stopping in Bruges amongst others, I seem to recognise your name?

Thanks for the information.

Yes, did the 7 day Scandinavia cruise on the Grand in 2009 stopping in Bruges.

I would do it through the cruise line.

You will get out late. While you can make it back to the ship on your own it is just a lot less worrisome to take their transportation. It will be very crowded.

Keith

Interesting news item this morning about an 'initiative is led by Dunfermline and West Fife Local Tourism Association ' where they're greeting cruise ship passengers at Rosyth.

http://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/roundup/articles/2011/05/06/412982-all-aboard-for-dunfermline/

Thanks for this information. I hope they have this in August 2012.

Thanks for the information.

Yes, did the 7 day Scandinavia cruise on the Grand in 2009 stopping in Bruges.

I'm wondering if we shared a minivan into Bruges, I was travelling with hubby and 2 teenage boys, certainly knew the name from the roll call.

What day are you calling at Rosyth? We love Edinburgh during the festival although it is so busy.

We only did Princess tours. We did the Bruges and Ghent tour.

We will be in Edinburgh on August 23, 2012 staying overnight (8am-2am). We plan on doing the Tattoo.

Wasnt you then!

The schools will go back that week - certainly my sons go back 23rd/24th this year and I cant see next year being much different - there will be more traffic on the roads heading into town before 9am, trains might be a bit busier as well. Edinburgh is very easy to get around once you get into the centre, its just not the easiest to get to from Rosyth.

If you are going to be in town all day remember to take warm clothing for the tattoo - it can get cold up on the esplanade at night. If you are prepared for the worst if its warm its an added bonus. August can be funny, last year our horses had rugs on most of August to keep them warm and dry!

We only did Princess tours. We did the Bruges and Ghent tour.

We will be in Edinburgh on August 23, 2012 staying overnight (8am-2am). We plan on doing the Tattoo.

We were there Aug. 2010, rained the entire performance, you want WATERPROOF gear, do not want to be wet as it will be cool. I recommend the ship's excursion, mainly to avoid transport issues, even if it is more $$.

• 3 weeks later...
Interesting news item this morning about an 'initiative is led by Dunfermline and West Fife Local Tourism Association ' where they're greeting cruise ship passengers at Rosyth.

http://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/roundup/articles/2011/05/06/412982-all-aboard-for-dunfermline/

Received some information on a day excursion (10 -4) in Dunfermline (home of Andrew Carnegie). It sounds interesting and priced at 26 Euros.

We are going to Endinboroug Castle, but wanted to share this with those who might want to explore an area closer to the port of Rosyth.

Received some information on a day excursion (10 -4) in Dunfermline (home of Andrew Carnegie). It sounds interesting and priced at 26 Euros.

We are going to Endinburgh Castle, but wanted to share this with those who might want to explore an area closer to the port of Rosyth.

• 11 months later...
Thanks for this information. I hope they have this in August 2012.

Since 2011 a new group has been forming at Rosyth (for Edinburgh). We had our first ship on 1st may, with 150 passengers from the USA departing for a British Isles cruise. Before they departed they all got a chance to taste some locally made spirits provided by Spencerfield Spirits. Everyone left a little warmer and with a smile.

We will be hear all summer. Look out for the Forth Bridges Tourist Group.

The Tattoo is booked out a year in advance usually so unless you already have tickets I would suggest going with the ship excursion. Take a raincoat. I went fir around 10 years in a row after first moving to Edinburgh and it is mostly a fantastic and unmissable spectacle.

Cheers!

Archived