Season has started in Helsinki

The season really got off here in Helsinki today (May 11th) with the arrival of the P&O Aurora (even if there were two small ships here earlier). The weather is very nice with sun shining from a blue sky but there are talk about possible rain tomorrow when Vision of the Seas and MSC Opera arrives. Anyway, by 10 am the corner Boulevard-Mannerheim Road- Southern Esplanade was full of confused tourists that just had stepped out of the shuttle bus and tried to find out where they were. As last year the shuttles run along the Boulevard and then turn right and stops at the short street named "Erottajankatu" (a bit hard to find on the maps).

The fact that the Swedish Theater is under repair makes it just more confusing as the building site block the view of start of the Esplanade Park. So remember: "Go downhill and turn right" to find the way towards esplanade/market/catedrals.

A note said that the shuttles runs every 15 minutes.

This is how the shuttle stop looks like:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=60.166274,24.943514&spn=0.004537,0.018797&z=17&layer=c&cbll=60.166165,24.94356&panoid=1KJAiPnhl56wDwvwoUmb6Q&cbp=12,342.22,,0,-1.59

Ultima,

Thank you for the google street view! :) I will be one of those confused tourists in a few months ... really looking forward to this trip.

Just a few quick questions regarding the shuttle...

Will the shuttle pic-up at Hernesarri? If so, could you tell me where we would board the shuttle and the cost?

Many thanks!

jill

Ultima,

Thank you for the google street view! :) I will be one of those confused tourists in a few months ... really looking forward to this trip.

Just a few quick questions regarding the shuttle...

Will the shuttle pic-up at Hernesarri? If so, could you tell me where we would board the shuttle and the cost?

Many thanks!

jill

There is no standard shuttle from the cities side, but each major cruise ship seem to have their of own shuttle service between downtown and the quay that the particular ship has docked at that day. Don't know exactly how it is organized but I assume some local company is handling it for the cruise lines as the routines always seems to be the same.

The P&O Aurora was today docked at Hernesaari.

Sorry, I got no idea what the shuttle tickets costs.

I understand that shuttle busses are provided by the local commerce (not the cruise lines) to take you to their town centres where you will spend your money.

They are mostly free but some ports do charge a fee of around 5 Euros.

Archived