reality calls

meow!

I always get a kick out of the doom and gloomers here. So O nearly doubled its capacity from 2052 to 3878 and hasn't filled every cabin on every cruise.

While some bemoan that O failed to take their advice [i'm sure management reads Meow's posts carefully to determine how to run their cruise line], I say what a great opportunity to take advantage of some good deals as we did back in 2009. I'm not worried that O will go under. Beyond the quality of their cruises, their next best strength is their marketing.

Last Thursday evening, I e-mailed my TA about these "new, lower" fares, asking if we who had booked and paid (Ah, yes, the final payment date had passed for a couple of these voyages.) were just...um..."out of luck." He replied: "No. Details tomorrow." I haven't heard anything yet, and I know these things take time to resolve, so I'm not terribly concerned. But I am wondering how Oceania may deal with this situation, especially considering that many of us already marked PAID - almost with a certitude - do have future bookings on the line.

Any predictions? Have any of you had similar experiences in the past?

Last Thursday evening, I e-mailed my TA about these "new, lower" fares, asking if we who had booked and paid (Ah, yes, the final payment date had passed for a couple of these voyages.) were just...um..."out of luck." He replied: "No. Details tomorrow." I haven't heard anything yet, and I know these things take time to resolve, so I'm not terribly concerned. But I am wondering how Oceania may deal with this situation, especially considering that many of us already marked PAID - almost with a certitude - do have future bookings on the line.

I thought the discounted cruises were for the fall?

They were only on specific cruises not all

So if final payment date has not come yet then you should get discounts

Let us know how it works out

Lyn

I thought the discounted cruises were for the fall?

They were only on specific cruises not all

So if final payment date has not come yet then you should get discounts

Let us know how it works out

Lyn

I would be very surprised to hear that the discount offers in question did not apply to "new bookings only".

I would be very surprised to hear that the discount offers in question did not apply to "new bookings only".

So would I -- only I cannot find that phrase ("new bookings only," or the like) anywhere.

You are probably right

I did check after I posted & HUNDING's cruise is the only one that had final payment due before the promotion came out.

Others could still cancel & rebook at the new rate

Hopefully O will offer that cruise some thing to those that prebooked (wishful thinking maybe)

Lyn

Last Thursday evening, I e-mailed my TA about these "new, lower" fares, asking if we who had booked and paid ...
While legally they may not be obliged to refund you the additional discount portion, that could be poor public relations for the cruise line if they don't do so. It may have a negative impact on potential future customers who otherwise believe in booking and paying early. Please post to let the public know what actually happens at the end.

We had booked the December 10, 2011 Sapphire Seas at the original price. I contacted our TA as soon as the prices went down and she obtained the new fares without the need for canceling and rebooking. Of course this is still before final payment.

Our pre-Panama Canal cruise (LA to Costa Rica) 6-7 years ago was not very sold and so O announced an "instant upgrade" policy. My mother was moved up to an A from an E, and we were upgraded from an A to a PH. I don't recall if it was after we'd made our final payment or not, but this was supposedly for new bookings and we'd been booked for quite a while. Our TA got the upgrade applied to us as well.

MEOW. Thank you for the heads-up e mail from O offering Historic savings. A call to O

netted me a $1,250pp price reduction on my 11/2 Marina cruise.

If you sign up with Oceania you can get the emails yourself ;)

Check their website

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/promotions.aspx

Your invoice probably would have been adjusted anyway but your TA should have let you know

Lyn

...that my exemplary TA, on top of things before I even knew what was afoot, has taken care of everything, and I/we have had, oh, gosh, exorbitant sums credited back to my Cap One card (since we we had already paid in full)! :) What seemed truly reasonable to begin with, now seems almost a gift.

My teriffic TA reported earlier in the day that Oceania's computers were down. I am hoping that was owing to an onslaught of new reservations!

• 4 weeks later...

Another huge batch from Oceania:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/promotions.aspx?emint=pastguest

Historic Savings Event (24 voyages to choose from)

Up to 75% Off Cruise Fares Plus FREE Airfare!*

This Historic Savings Event with Up to 75% Off Cruise Fares Plus Free Airfare* means these cruises will all be in very high demand. With limited availability, we urge you to act now to reserve the suite or stateroom of your choice.

Major Price Reduction - 2011 Panama Canal Voyages (2 voyages)

Up to 75% Off Cruise Fares Plus FREE Airfare!*

The eight-hour transit of the Panama Canal between the Atlantic and Pacific is an astounding experience. Slowly cruising by lush tropical scenery, the 50-mile passage through the Canal reveals one of the largest and most difficult engineering projects ever undertaken. Click on the VIEW EBROCHURE button to read more about this magnificent marvel!

Many of the offers above are repeats of the previous offer (see beginning of this very long thread), while others are newly offered voyages. That shows despite increased discount, they are still selling poorly. Those who still have the means to go in such difficult times, good luck and bon voyage!

We believe that it is a service to the community to inform people of cheap voyages, opportunities of deep discounts, and attention to how to get them. As we stated a decade ago from the beginning, that we are ordinary individual consumers, will speak from this point of view for the benefit of such, regardless of whether any cruise line likes it or not. This is one of the primary functions of this board, to give ordinary individual consumers a public voice, and time and again, we have been vindicated by the management and moderators of this board for doing so. And time and again, we received welcoming responses from numerous ordinary individual consumers, and we shall continue on.

We believe that it is a service to the community to inform people of cheap voyages, opportunities of deep discounts, and attention to how to get them. As we stated a decade ago from the beginning, that we are ordinary individual consumers, will speak from this point of view for the benefit of such, regardless of whether any cruise line likes it or not. This is one of the primary functions of this board, to give ordinary individual consumers a public voice, and time and again, we have been vindicated by the management and moderators of this board for doing so. And time and again, we received welcoming responses from numerous ordinary individual consumers, and we shall continue on.

Absolutely!! This board is to share information -- not to be a cheerleader for the cruise line.

Thanks for posting. I got the same email. My cruise is not listed.

Each of us reads different reasons and therefore gives different comments, as should be the case in a free society. As for who or what is misleading, only time will tell. Six months ago, we repeatedly voiced our opinion that market forces would be stronger than management will power, and two months ago, we kept saying that adding extra fringe benefits would not be enough. There must be direct reduction in fares, so what has recent history taught us?

These fantastic discounts are being offered on many cruise lines, not just Oceania. In fact, Seabourn gets the nod for most deals coming into my in-box, with Regent running close behind. It seems most cruise lines, whether mass market, premium or luxury, are offering enticing discounts and incentives at the current time. It's a great time for the consumer.

These fantastic discounts are being offered on many cruise lines, not just Oceania. In fact, Seabourn gets the nod for most deals coming into my in-box, with Regent running close behind. It seems most cruise lines, whether mass market, premium or luxury, are offering enticing discounts and incentives at the current time. It's a great time for the consumer.

I agree with you, MightyQuinn, but it drives me crazy when somebody seems to gloat over the state of the economy, just because those lower fares go with the situation.

Have we no sense of honor?

I didn't phrase it as artfully as Don did, but I genuinely believe that such negativism is self defeating, and brings nothing productive to the discussion.

By all means, bring every Cruise Bargain that you have EVER heard of to our attention, but please do it from a good place, as a boost, and not to illustrate economic weakness.

By the way, if we are talking about the economics of cruising in this economy, the unpopular (on Cruise Critic, at least) shift toward shorter cruises is another direct result.

And don't even get me started about the credit crunch. Not everything about a soft economy is good for the consumer.

Ditto for Silversea - it is a good time to be looking for cruises :)

Archived