Advice on Airport and Cruise port (Miami, FLL etc)

We (me, DH two kids 9 and 12) are considering doing an Eastern Caribbean cruise next April. We have to fly, most likely Air Canada. We would be staying somewhere for a night or two before the cruise. I was thinking about flying into Miami spending a night or 2 near the beach and cruising from Miami. But then I've read that Miami airport is not user friendly. Would it be better to fly into Fort Lauderdale and if so would you cruise from there or Miami? What would you suggest? We could also fly into one airport and out of another without a cost problem.

You ask very good questions.

I would first select the cruise line and cruise ship that you prefer. Once you do this then I would pick the airport. Ideally I would fly in and out of the airport closest to the cruise ship terminal but if the price was a good deal cheaper to offset the added cost of getting from one area to the other than I would go with the lower cost for the airline.

It is true that Miami is a very large airport and it is simpler to use Fort Lauderdale the advantage of Miami for many people is the availability of flights.

In terms of Hotels you can find hotels in both Fort Lauderdale and Miami that would be nice for you and the family including the beach area.

Keith

I find FLL pretty straightforward and friendly. The airport is close to the cruise port, and to the beach as well. We've cruised out of there twice, and ended another cruise there as well. Cabs are abundant and pretty cheap--it's literally 10 minutes to the airport from the port.

Miami is another story. I have not cruised out of there. But we took a cab from the airport to South Beach for an overnight, and then flew out to Rio the next day. We saw the cruise port area whiz by in both directions. The airport is a long trip, at least to South Beach, and expensive. I can't remember what we spent for cabs, but it was around $50 per trip I think, whereas $20 is about right for FLL.

The FLL airport is very small, and thus easy to navigate--MIA is a nightmare.

We're lucky in that we can easily fly on Air Canada to either place. Guess it depends on what cruiseline you want, and how badly.

We (me, DH two kids 9 and 12) are considering doing an Eastern Caribbean cruise next April. We have to fly, most likely Air Canada. We would be staying somewhere for a night or two before the cruise. I was thinking about flying into Miami spending a night or 2 near the beach and cruising from Miami. But then I've read that Miami airport is not user friendly. Would it be better to fly into Fort Lauderdale and if so would you cruise from there or Miami? What would you suggest? We could also fly into one airport and out of another without a cost problem.

you could very easily fly in and out of for lauderdale and stay in miami and cruise out of miami. fort lauderdale is only approx 25 miles from miami which is about a half hour drive.

Pick the cruise you want and then find the flights that are the best deal for your family.

If cruising from Port Everglades it is easier to fly in/out of FLL, but MIA or PBI or even Orlando are options. If cruising from Port of Miami, then flying in/out of MIA is easiest (only a 15 minute, $24+ tip flat rate cab ride away), but FLL, PBI and MCO are options. There are numerous transportation options -- taxis, rental cars, shuttle services, or even cruiseline transfers -- to get you where you need to go without too much trouble or expense.

For one night prior to cruise downtown Miami near POM is fine, but if you are staying 2 days (particularly with kids) then head for the beach - Miami Beach, Hollywood, or Fort Lauderdale.

Good luck!:)

When we cruised in Jan, we flew into FLL because it was cheaper than flying into MIA. We stayed at Comfort Inn Airport Cruise Port South and they took us to the Miami port. Most hotels will advertise if they shuttle to the ports so you aren't limited to MIA for Miami ports or FLL for those ports. I have never flown into MIA but FLL I have found is most user friendly. We have gone threw with kids and without. So to me, the $100 difference in airfare was worth it.

I have twice flown into Miami and departed from Fort Lauderdale. The first time I did this I cruised out of Miami. The second time I did this I cruised out of Fort Lauderdale. I've also flown into and out of Miami for a cruise out of Miami, and for my next cruise I am flying into and out of Fort Lauderdale for a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale.

Basically I do what works best for me at the time. The advantage of Miami is that I can fly non-stop. I suggest you look into all the options and pick the one that works best for you.

Archived