eating "for free" on the Golden

Kellie in Texas

Okay, so it's not realllyyy free after paying the fare, but I'd like to confirm the no-extra-charge eating places on the Golden. We have anytime dining, so we can go to the Donatello or Bernini dining rooms, or the Horizon Court, Trident Grill, or Prego Pizza.

Our one previous cruise was on the Caribbean Princess which also had the Cafe Caribe next to the Horizon Court, but I guess the Golden doesn't have that.

And the Sundaes ice cream bar is free now? (this is the one by the main pool??)

As for the International Cafe, which items are free and which have a "nominal charge" as the Princess website describes it?

Thanks, previous Golden cruisers.

Correct on Donatello or Bernini dining rooms, or the Horizon Court, Trident Grill, or Prego Pizza. You can also order room service from a limited menu. We enjoy that at least once per cruise for lunch. They make a delicious lasagna.

They had free soft-serve ice cream on our last Princess cruise. At the International Cafe, all the food is free except the gelato.

It's easier to look at it from the other perspective: all dining rooms, grill, pizza, Sundaes, International Cafe and room service are free. There's a fee for specialty restaurants/items: Sabatini's, Crown Grill, sushi, gelatto (if available in the IC), and pizza via room service.

It's easier to look at it from the other perspective: all dining rooms, grill, pizza, Sundaes, International Cafe and room service are free. There's a fee for specialty restaurants/items: Sabatini's, Crown Grill, sushi, gelatto (if available in the IC), and pizza via room service.

Pam,

This does sound better. My folks just got off Golden yesterday and mom was all into telling me every place they ate for free on the phone last night. A 14 day cruise and they got off in ONE port. She just had a great time on the ship.

We are doing this same cruise in late October with them on the ship so she spied out everything and looking forward to sharing. We will be getting off the ship more, Mr Ula's brother lives in HI so have to get together.

Okay, so it's not realllyyy free after paying the fare, but I'd like to confirm the no-extra-charge eating places on the Golden. We have anytime dining, so we can go to the Donatello or Bernini dining rooms, or the Horizon Court, Trident Grill, or Prego Pizza. or the IC

Our one previous cruise was on the Caribbean Princess which also had the Cafe Caribe next to the Horizon Court, but I guess the Golden doesn't have that. That is correct, only the Caribbean, Crown, Emerald and Ruby have a Cafe Caribe

And the Sundaes ice cream bar is free now? (this is the one by the main pool??) Only the soft serve (and sugar free ice cream?) is free. Shakes are extra cost.

As for the International Cafe, which items are free and which have a "nominal charge" as the Princess website describes it? No food items are extra cost at the IC on the Golden. No gelato at the IC on the Golden. The is a charge for coffee and tea drinks.

Thanks, previous Golden cruisers.

In addition there are "complementary" tapas with a beverage purchase at Vines.

Have not been on Princess since Fall 2008. What is the Cafe Caribe??
On the Grand-class ships, there is a buffet seating area towards the aft of the ship that is an extension of the Horizon Court. On the ships mentioned above, there is a Cafe Caribe in this area which is an abbreviated buffet (smaller than the main buffet area with fewer choices) and at lunch, offers specialty items and at dinner, offers a seafood buffet on some nights. It's really the same area with the small buffet added.

FYI, no one has yet mentioned the Pub Lunch on sea days in the Wheelhouse. That's also free and is GREAT!

On the Grand-class ships, there is a buffet seating area towards the aft of the ship that is an extension of the Horizon Court. On the ships mentioned above, there is a Cafe Caribe in this area which is an abbreviated buffet (smaller than the main buffet area with fewer choices) and at lunch, offers specialty items and at dinner, offers a seafood buffet on some nights. It's really the same area with the small buffet added.

FYI, no one has yet mentioned the Pub Lunch on sea days in the Wheelhouse. That's also free and is GREAT!

Pam;

Is the Golden considered a grand class ship? They didn't have a Cafe Caribe........:confused:

Bob

Pam;

Is the Golden considered a grand class ship? They didn't have a Cafe Caribe........:confused:

Bob

Starting with the Caribbean Princess they added an additional deck (Riviera) of cabins and 500 people to the Grand class design. To provide for more eating area, the aft (traditional dining room was enlarged and the buffet area was increased with the addition of the Cafe Caribe. Only the 3,100 passenger Grand class ships have Cafe Caribe.

Pam, Thanks for mentioning the Pub Lunch. There is also Afternoon Tea every day with muffins, scones with jam and clotted cream, small sandwiches and pastries for 3:30 - 4:40 in one of the Dining Rooms.

Thanks, everyone. The main info I was looking for was on the International Cafe because my one previous cruise did not have an IC, so it's a new thing to us. However, I've seen photos of all the yummy stuff they have, so I'm sure we will sample several items!

Starting with the Caribbean Princess they added an additional deck (Riviera) of cabins and 500 people to the Grand class design. To provide for more eating area, the aft (traditional dining room was enlarged and the buffet area was increased with the addition of the Cafe Caribe. Only the 3,100 passenger Grand class ships have Cafe Caribe.

Thanks for the info.....:):):)

Bob

Archived