Port Everglades Camera

LordSpain

Noticing that the Prinsendam was in Port Everglades today I made a point to be around my computer at 5:00 PM EST to watch her sail away. As I looked at her at her berth and as she sailed away I couldn’t help but notice that there is some sort of multi-story structure that is being built, that if it rises much higher will obscure the view of HAL ships at their normal berths from this camera view.

Since the building is quite obviously in front of the Prinsendam in the attached pics I’m assuming it must be on the east side of the ICW. The properties located in that area are the US Coast Guard, Navsea Warfare Center and a State Park. Does anybody know what they’re building there?

Prinsendam.JPG

Prinsendam2.JPG

Bruce

So that's what was sticking out when I was watching her dock this morning :confused: I just thought I needed another coffee - or that my eyes were going.

Not good. I really enjoyed watching her coming in this morning.

I noticed that when the Prisendam what turning to starboard there was a tug on her stern pushing. Is there a problem with the ship? Why would they be using tugs when it's an easy for much larger ships to make?

there was no problem when she was coming in. smooth as silk. new captain? :confused: cautious:confused: who knows.

IIRC, this was mentioned in one of the Cruise Industry or even Cruise Critic Newsletters several months ago.

It will be a Control Tower. Similar to Air Traffic Control Towers, but for the, cruise liners, shipping and pleasure craft and whatever else utilizes the Port.

I will try and find the article as soon as I post this.

Edited: I am drawing nothing but blanks right now in my search. I wish I could remember where Iread this. It was an official Publication so I am sure it was real news, not just hearsay.

Joanie

After doing some research this morning I believe I’ve found out what this building is. When finished it will be part of Nova Southeastern University’s Oceanographic Center - specifically the Center of Excellence for Coral Reef Ecosystems Science. It’s due to open in December. Below are some site pics/renderings.

NSU2.JPG

NSU1.JPG

NSU3.JPG

While this sounds like a wonderful thing it’s not going to do much for the camera view – too bad.

Bruce

While this sounds like a wonderful thing it’s not going to do much for the camera view – too bad.

Maybe the camera can be relocated when the building is complete?

Ruth;

I just posted this question on Port Everglades Webcam's facebook page:

Yesterday when I was watching the Prinsendam leave I noticed a multi-story building being constructed on the east side of the ICW. Once this gets a little higher it will obstruct the camera's view of the Holland America berths. By any chance are you considering relocating/raising your camera to accommodate us Holland America fans?

I'll let you know right away if they respond.

Bruce

Below is the question and PEWC's response:

pewc1.JPG

I don't know how they're going to "clearly" zoom in on something that's obstructed by a building, but apparently they're not going to move the camera.

Bruce

Below is the question and PEWC's response:

pewc1.JPG

I don't know how they're going to "clearly" zoom in on something that's obstructed by a building, but apparently they're not going to move the camera.

Bruce

Thanks for asking the question, and posting the reply. The way I'm reading it is there's things not ready for public release, and everything will work out.

But then, I tend to be optimistic (also been called "gullible" :rolleyes:).

Archived