So....Who Will Fess Up?

sail7seas

A place for everything, and everything in it's place. And the "place" for everything is in a closet, drawer, out of sight---with the exception of a few pieces of paper (like the daily program, and shore ex tickets) which are neatly propped in front of the mirror.

I really hate the new shelves set-up in the bathrooms.

Neat and tidy, that's me.

That's the way we keep it, it might get a little untidier if my husband was not there. He is the Super Neat One

Our charter cruises are very busy and things can get a bit messy at times, but we do try and create not to much work for the cabin steward.

And I have walked by other cabins when the doors were open and seen real nightmares inside!

At home DW and I are the type who scramble around tidying and cleaning up the night before the cleaning lady comes. So that carries over to our cruising and hotel stays. I usually straighten the bedding a bit to help out the steward.

While I'd prefer to be as neat as Ruth and the rest of you, I'm on those charters with Boytjie and they are very busy.

When you only have 5 minutes to change from an Olympic/Sports themed party into your Formal attire, the cabin sofa seems to suffer a bit ;)

An no matter how much I tidy up before leaving the cabin, the wonderful stewards seem to find something that can be straightened out (bless their hearts).

And here's a hint I just learned from my frequent cabin-mate:

He brought along two oversized manila envelopes, one with his name, one with mine.

This did an amazing job of keeping the daily programs, newsletters, invitations, brochures and all other paperwork neatly in place.

And so easy to pack on the last day.

r.

We try to keep things neat, but one thing that bothers me is in order to get the towels changed they are to be put on the floor. Then if the room does not get made up early we come back to a mess in the bathroom. I can never quite figure out what to do with those towels we want replaced, or are just plain wet after wiping up the water that escaped the shower curtain.
Count another one for "tidy". We try to keep our stuff put away but do have the, aforementioned, loose papers issue on the desk.;)

CruisinJudy ... We put our used and/or wet towels in the tub if we want them replaced. Those we want to keep, we hang up. It's what our first cabin steward asked us to do.:) Seems to work.:)

At home DW and I are the type who scramble around tidying and cleaning up the night before the cleaning lady comes. So that carries over to our cruising and hotel stays. I usually straighten the bedding a bit to help out the steward.

Sounds like us. As I see it cleaning people and stewards are paid to clean not straighten.

No one leaves the cabin until all is put away. Drawers, laundry bag, vanity tote, whatever. Basically the floor has to be clear for the steward to do his/her job. We don't make the beds or hang our towels, though.

Count us in on the neat and tidy. Every 2 days I go through the "junk" paper's and toss them. Everything has it's place and it's not on the bed! Often we give the cabin steward a day off~ just bring some ice!:)

Count another one for "tidy". We try to keep our stuff put away but do have the, aforementioned, loose papers issue on the desk.;)

CruisinJudy ... We put our used and/or wet towels in the tub if we want them replaced. Those we want to keep, we hang up. It's what our first cabin steward asked us to do.:) Seems to work.:)

Now THAT is a really good idea. We've never been told that, but it sure makes sense and keeps the bathroom neat too. Thanks :D

If my "area" isn't neat and tidy, my mind isn't neat and tidy. I agree with everyone -- neat, picked up and put where it belongs. And since my cats don't cruise with us we have no worries about the darn fur that's in abundance in our house now!:eek:

Are you one who keeps their cabin neat and tidy or one who lets things pile up a bit when in a hotel room or ship's cabin? You okay with having the steward do the 'picking up' when he services your cabin each morning and evening? :)

We're on the neat side. I figure we've paid a lot of money for that cabin and we'd like to enjoy it to the max. Can't really enjoy it if it's a mess..... at least we can't. :D

How about you? Neat and tidy? A little more casual about picking up? How much 'picking up' should a cabin steward reasonably be expected to do?

(A thread on another forum got me to thinking about this.)

Neat & tidy, always! Same as at home! :)

Out of consideration for staff and the fact I prefer a serene, non chaotic, space... our cabin is kept "peaceful";).

Besides, I don't particularly want anyone handling my personal items..be it clothing, toiletries, or cosmetics.

How ,when a cabin is turned upside down, do they even begin to deal with everyone's stuff. ??

A spotless bathroom, vacuumed carpet,made bed,and a little dusting .. I'll take care of the rest.:)

DW worked as a hotel maid in high school -- she absolutely hated to have to move personal stuff on the bathroom counter to wipe it down. Our stewards can be in and out of our room in a very short time.

We never leave anything out -- we have a couple of rooms here at home we're not proud of... if we have someone over, we just close the doors to those rooms. (one of them is the packing/unpacking room - we are usually in the process of doing one or the other ;)) There is no room in a ship cabin for clutter.

Fun.

What a tidy bunch we are.

I was sure there had to be a few who would admit to being a little 'relaxed' about picking up their cabin while cruising.

I am one of those 'lookies' who glances into cabins when we pass by an open door. Usually the cabins look neat enough but every now and then we see a cabin that looks like a hurricane blew through it. :D

Oh my! You must have peeked into DS's cabin. Each morning before breakfast I'd run to his cabin and try to straighten the mess, so his poor long-suffering steward wasn't stuck with picking up all the c_ _ p he left on the floor, under the bed, on the bed, in the bathroom, on the counter, in front of the closets, & on the chair and table. :eek:

Don't dish me! I raised a slob. Part of the problem is he's Asperger's & just doesn't think about things like inconviencing another person. At home, DH & I refuse to clean his room, so he's either stuck in a mess or gets in a "neat freak mood" & cleans OCD style. It's never a happy medium.

Unfortunately, for this upcoming cruise he's in the cabin with us, and HE WILL BE NEAT, or 1 of us will end up insane!

We're neat and tidy in our cabin....probably more so than at home. :) Here at home we can spread our minor clutter over two floors but in the cabin if it's not put away it's in the way. About the only thing that gets even close to clutter would be the collection of daily programs, fliers, etc., that build up over the cruise.

Neat and tidy all the time (we are like that in hotels too!), I too look into other rooms and can't believe how people actually leave their rooms... yikes, hate to have to clean that up everyday.

Once on a cruise with our daughter and son-in-law we popped by their room while enroute to breakfast and couldnt believe the state of their room, clothes everywhere, nothing organized at all, just mayhem... well the mother came out of me and reminded them both to clean up and put away everything away asap !! It worked that time anyways, didnt take a chance going back again, lol

It sounds like they were having a really good time, the type of a good time a mother really does not need to know about.

Always tidy. We prefer to put our "stuff" where we know where it is. We don't live in a pig pen at home, so don't want to reside in one on a ship or in a hotel.

I have visited in homes where the motto seems to be "a place for everything, and everything all over the place." ;)

I used to not only make the beds but in the Lido I would take my dirty plates to the sideboard when we left the table. Enough lecturing by the stewards and I now leave it alone.

We don't care for clutter in the cabin. We neaten things up and thanks to the over the door organizer nothing is left in the bath for him to have to move or clean around.

I like the idea of leaving the towels in the tub, thanks for the hint.

DH and I tidy our cabin, leaving only essentials on the desk top and bathroom counter. Our sons, however, are another story. Last cruise (and remember, they're both adults; one early 40's, other late 20's), they sought out our cabin steward on the first day, each slapped a sizeable bill in his hand and said "Pleased to meet you, but we're pigs." They repeated the scenario a few times throughout the cruise. :o They're adults and I'm not about to spend my vacation time cleaning up after them. I figured it evened out somewhat if our cabin was kept clutter-free, it gave the steward extra time in theirs.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

"Towels in the tub" was taught to me years ago by my best friend(parents owned a hotel in Holland)...apparently it's recognized world wide as "fresh towels please". Poof they appear.:)

Doesn't work at home though... here I 'm the towel fairy.:D

As I spend 4 nights out of the week in hotel rooms, one thing I always do now is pack up my shave kit and tooth brush and put it in my suit case each morning before I head out. One time I went to brush my teeth before I went to bed and it had a foul taste of chemical on it. Ever since then I have packed up my bathroom things every morning.

Archived