So....Who Will Fess Up?

sail7seas

Just out of curiousity, I added up the score-

Neat & Tidy: 57

Honestly admitted that isn't their forte: 4

Those who talked a lot in their post, but you just couldn't tell which side they were on: 6

As for us- we try for neat & tidy, especially on the longer cruises. On the Vista ships we put everything in the same place each time we cruise. Except, on the rude awakening that not all cabins have storage over the sofa:eek:. Then we have to have an alternate place.

And I'll also admit, on the longer cruises... I tend to decorate the cabin:eek::eek::eek:!!!!

Who else is guilty of decorating their cabin???

I guess I must fall into the messy category! I like the cabin to be neat so I don't leave my things out, but I don't clean the cabin. I have never made my bed on a cruise. I have also never returned my dishes from room service or the lido myself. I always either call to have them picked up or leave them for the steward. If I leave them, I stack them together on the table. I have never brought Clorox wipes or Windex on a cruise to clean the cabin.

I will generally toss towels in the tub or shower when I want them replaced so I don't trip over them on the floor. I hate to have cabin stewards moving my things so I rarely leave very few personal items out. I put my make-up in the cabinet in the bathroom when I'm done, although I occasionally leave my brush on the counter. I bring a bag for dirty clothes so those don't get scattered around the cabin. I hate it when I leave a dirty garment out and the cabin steward feels obligated to fold it. My husband is bad about leaving his shoes out, but I don't like tripping over his size 13s so I try to remember to toss them in the closet.

I'm really bad about leaving the papers on the desk instead of putting them in a drawer. I throw away the spa and jewelry ads but I like to keep the port guides and daily programs. Last cruise was 10 days so I had a stack of them that came home with me. I tend to leave whatever book I am currently reading on the nightstand or desk instead of putting it out of sight. I'm also bad about leaving my camera out. I like having it readily available in case I see something interesting from the balcony and want a picture.

This thread reminds me of my working years, when I had a housekeeper. She came on Wednesdays, and my Tuesday nights were spent in a de-cluttering frenzy. I guess I still have that mindset when cruising, as we never leave the cabin without first putting everything in order ... or at least out of sight. When I retired, I knew I'd either spend all my days cleaning or adjust to some dust. LOL - I adjusted. :)

This thread reminds me of my working years, when I had a housekeeper. She came on Wednesdays, and my Tuesday nights were spent in a de-cluttering frenzy. I guess I still have that mindset when cruising, as we never leave the cabin without first putting everything in order ... or at least out of sight. When I retired, I knew I'd either spend all my days cleaning or adjust to some dust. LOL - I adjusted. :)

I LOVE this post. How wonderful you are still flexible and can adjust. :D :) Who says 'retired' folks are rigid? :)

I am always sooo busy on cruises that I am not neat. I hardly have time to dress for dinner. I throw everything in the closets so the steward does not have to pick anything up. Packages and trivial papers on the bed. Got to run now, tea time,and then boat contest. I will pick up tomorrow before bingo.

We're neat and tidy! IMO, the cabin seem larger when things are neat and tidy!

We do a lot of travelling in our caravan in Australia and have learnt that valuable lesson. More clutter, less space... IMO The stewards have very little to do in our cabin, but then again, no matter how I tidy, they seem to make it even nicer....:)

Okay, we do tidy up our room a bit. We make sure that all clothes and personal belongings are put away into closets, drawers, or cabinets. We make one pile of paperwork and magazines on the desk. We do not make the beds, wipe out the sink or shower, or fold the dirty towels. On the other hand we do not go into the kitchen to get our food in the MDR or bus the tables in the MDR. That is the job of our waitstaff and we appreciate it just as we appreciate the efforts of our steward. We expect that he/she will make the bed, clean the bathroom, keep us supplied with clean towels, and keep the ice bucket filled. I don't feel that we are unreasonable.

And I'll also admit, on the longer cruises... I tend to decorate the cabin:eek::eek::eek:!!!!

Who else is guilty of decorating their cabin???

On our 14 day cruise on the Amsterdam we used easy-remove putty to put a large day by day Alaska cruise map on the mirror so we could easily tell where we were. But other than that we don't usually do decorations.

On a 33 day non-HAL b2b2b cruise we didn't decorate the interior but we put a magnetic door decoration on the outside of our door that had a picture of a flower on it and said: We're aboard for 33 days. It listed our three cruises and had our names at the bottom.

That helped us easily spot our door. It was also greatly enjoyed by crew members who walked by our door.

I'm a neat person when it comes to most things. I just like order on my life.

I still tidy my cabin to a certain point each day. I admit that I don't make the bed (don't at home often). I will tidy the bathroom a bit, I can't stand a messy bathroom!

My cabin is most likey a quick clean because of my habits. Just because I'm on vacation means become a slob!

I think we fall somewhere in the middle. We're not crazy messy but not seriously neat either.

Because we drive to the ports, I tend to bring a lot of things with me. I do try to keep things contained (laundry goes right back into suitcases so it's out of the way) but the desk area always tends to pile up fast with books, bags, electronic gear, etc. I do have a box that is a bit larger than 8.5x11 that opens like a book that I bring on every trip to store papers, postcards and purchased photos in. We do spread out because we want to be comfortable but I typically have a day or two here and there where I do a quick pick up and so it makes packing it all up easier and less time consuming at the end of the week.

Our home is super tidy and our life style is very organised and has an extremely regimented routine.

So I guess I am the one with that awful philosophy that "I am on holiday" and for that means no Mrs Neat Freak.

Our cabin is messy, I find that fun!

I love walking in and seeing our soveniers, ships menus and papers. Normally forbidden lollies sitting on the table. Fridge full of nice wine. And plenty of glasses on standby.

I love to see his tux shirt tossed across the chair, his bow tie carelessly on my pillow......my beautiful evening gown hangin over a door.

Not dirty or filled with rubbish.

As far as consideration with the Cabin Staff, well, we reward them after. I don't honestly think our room takes a long time to clean....I also don't think it looks like a hurricane tore thru it.

But I love the feel of our 'boudoire', it is why we go cruising as often as we can - to escape from reality.

I love this thread, I can't believe we have so many tidy people here...lol. Well I am not ashamed to say, I am not the most tidest person. While on a cruise, I do hang up my clothes, but don't straighten up the bed, leave my shoes whereever I take them off. I do admit that the cabin stewards have alot to do, but then on the other hand, I am on vacation, and paid a nice price. Cleaning up the cabin daily is part of their duties. I do at the end of the trip tip the steward a little more for a job well done.

Awesome, honest reply. I want to sail with you. I do not spend much extra time straightening up. I try not to be a total pig, but I'm really not concerned with making sure my bed is just so...

Archived