Athens Solo Splendour of the Seas

jclinard

I'm traveling alone on the Splendour of the Seas in August. Does anybody have a recommendation on the best way to see the Parthenon / Acropolis? On my own, or with a ship tour, or what?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

We downloaded the Rick Steve's audio tour of the Acropolis and Ancient Agora onto our phones before we left. We walked to the metro (~20 minutes), took the metro into Athens, and did both on our own. I recommend it, but it depends how comfortable you are on your own. We wore a money belt on the metro (have heard of pickpockets) just to be safe. I would have been comfortable by myself in the area. We were at the acropolis may 18, 2011 by 9am (got off the ship ~7:45). When we were comming down at ~10 or ~10:30 it was mobbed! I would suggest going as early as possible.

We downloaded the Rick Steve's audio tour of the Acropolis and Ancient Agora onto our phones before we left. We walked to the metro (~20 minutes), took the metro into Athens, and did both on our own. I recommend it, but it depends how comfortable you are on your own. We wore a money belt on the metro (have heard of pickpockets) just to be safe. I would have been comfortable by myself in the area. We were at the acropolis may 18, 2011 by 9am (got off the ship ~7:45). When we were comming down at ~10 or ~10:30 it was mobbed! I would suggest going as early as possible.

I did virtually the same thing (minus the audio tour) last year in Athens, and I was traveling solo. It's quite easy and safe. Do take precautions against pickpockets.

Is it possible to be alone when your ship arrives in port? I took my 80 yr old mother last yr on the SOS. As we walked to the metro station we ran into others from our ship, and even more people caught up with us along the way. By the time we arrived at the station we were a group of 20. Even on the walk up the hill we were constantly passing people or being passed, and walked the final distance with a couple we recognized from our ship.

I was concerned about pickpocketing on the metro so I just stayed alert and luckily we had a seat. I think you're more vulnerable when you stand.

If you are concerned about travelling solo, perhaps you can meet someone at dinner, or on your Roll Call that would be interested in sharing a taxi. I think the ship's tour is basically a bus ride and you're dropped off at the bottom of the acropolis.

I just did this solo in the last month (twice) on back-to-back cruises. It's a nice, safe walk to the metro train and then a short ride into Athens to see the major sites. I never felt any more unsafe or uncomfortable doing this than in any other major city. If you're comfortable doing things on your own, go for it. If not, then arrange some form of tour.

Archived