Cruise 5120, Santorini - what to do?

farbster

We are on Cruise 5120 (Spirit) and can get off in Santorini @ 8am and the ship leaves at 11pm. I understand that the sunset is the big thing, especially in Oia. What is the best plan for the day? Ship tours leave in morning and last 3.5-4 hours (unless you do the private all day).

Do most people do the tour in the morning, then schmy around until dinner? According to the internet, sunset is at 6:40. How much schmying can you do there?

Maybe we're best to eat breakfast on the boat, go off for lunch, schmy around, then eat dinner and watch the sunset?

TIA

Take the cable car up the cliff, it is one of the nicest places on Earth to visit. There are souvenir shops and restaurants up there. Walk a bit to the flatter area, then you can take transportation elsewhere.

You can also take the public bus to the flat side of the island on the other end, have lunch at a seaside fish restaurant, then come back to Fira and get another bus or a taxi to Oia and spend the afternoon until sunset. Enjoy the view while having a drink. I've never heard the term schmying, but if there's any place to do it, it's Santorini.

just another thing to keep in mind, make sure u give yourself time to get a good vantage point. I remember when I was there it got mighty crowded and was difficult to find somewhere to sit...but o so worth it.

And wait to hear all the ooohs and aaaahs as the sun is setting.:)

Absolutely glorious...enjoy!

Cheers

Jennifer

We are on Cruise 5120 (Spirit) and can get off in Santorini @ 8am and the ship leaves at 11pm. I understand that the sunset is the big thing, especially in Oia. What is the best plan for the day? Ship tours leave in morning and last 3.5-4 hours (unless you do the private all day).

Do most people do the tour in the morning, then schmy around until dinner? According to the internet, sunset is at 6:40. How much schmying can you do there?

Maybe we're best to eat breakfast on the boat, go off for lunch, schmy around, then eat dinner and watch the sunset?

TIA

One of my most memorable travel experiences was watching the sun set in Oia. We had rented one of the cave rooms on the edge of the caldera, where the windmill is and where everyone comes to watch the sunset. We had 5 glorious nights watching this most beautiful event, sitting on our patio, sipping Greek wine, with cats lolling all about. Do try to make it. You won't be disappointed.

After you take the cable car up, or walk up if you are in great shape, you can easily rent a smart car, (perfect for an island the size of Santorini, Drive to Oia. Have breakfast on one of the rooftop restaurants. The (Yogurt with honey is fantastic), walk through some of the art galleries and wind your way back to your car. on the drive back Stop at the Chapel Museum, it is a great little museum not frequented by the tours. Continue your drive to the other side of the island and do some touring of the small towns and the Archaeological dig. Come back to the main town, for a late lunch and a little more gift shopping then go back to Oia for the sunset.

That is what Mrs banjo & I did on our last stop at Santorini. We had a fantastic day!

You can likely work out a deal with the rental co to leave the car with them for a few hours during the middle of the day then pick it up again to go back to Oia for the sunset.

A Smart car is a great way to get around the island, doesn't go to fast, easy to drive, very cheap to fill up with gas. Do a little homework on things you want to see and be your own guide. It is easy and great fun.

Any restaurants to recommend for the view/sunset?

Schmy is a great yiddish word...after all, how else do you find tchotchkes? LOL

We thought Ambrosia in Oia was fantastic. It is small, so you would need to make reservations. Ask to be seated outside. It's right on the cliffside overlooking the cauldera. The website is here. We plan to go on June 4th!

Michael

We loved a place called The Red Bicycle in Oia. It overlooks the caldera and is positioned with a beautiful view back onto the town. We liked it so much, we ate there 4 times during the week we stayed in Oia.

As an aside, there is no way I can imagine walking from Fira to Oia. I'm in good shape, and that is not a walk I would want to do.

Archived