Tell Us Your Choice for Our HAL CC Group Caribbean Cruise ~ Fall 2006

Where & when do you want to go on our group cruise in the Fall 2006?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Where & when do you want to go on our group cruise in the Fall 2006?

• 10/15/06 Eastern Caribbean - Westerdam - 7 days
    • 10/29/06 Eastern Caribbean - Westerdam - 7 days
    • 10/22/06 Western Caribbean - Westerdam - 7 days
    • 11/5/06 Western Caribbean - Westerdam - 7 days
    • 11/3/06 Southern Caribbean - Volendam - 10 days
    • 11/23/06 Southern Caribbean - Volendam - 10 days

So far in our preliminary thread almost 25 of you have expressed an interest in a HAL Group Cruise in the Caribbean in the Fall 2006. This poll is to get a count on your favorite time and itinerary before we go forward with CC.

Please don't take part in the poll unless you're really serious about possibly going.

You may vote for more than 1 if you're plans are open to more than just one date.

It would also be helpful if you post and tell us the number in your party (# of cabins needed) if you haven't already told me in the previous thread.

This is not a commitment in any way ... we just want to get a ballpark idea of numbers.

This could be the best cruise ever so let's get going!:D

Heather--

Thanks for putting this together!:)

I voted for Westerdam early November, but am open to late October sailings as well. As much as I might enjoy trying Volendam, I think that a 7 day would be easier on time/budget/vacation schedule for many of us worker-bees and would also get us home to our families in time for Thanksgiving.

I don't really care so much about the ports - I'll be happy w/ any old island I'm sure - just get me on the boat!

Oh! And that would be for two, please...

(I'm being optomistic here...);)

Oh, you'll be 2, Brian ... who could turn you down?;)

I do want to mention that the 11/3 Volendam leaves on a Friday so it's not as much extra time as you might think. So it would be Friday, 11/3, to Monday, 11/13. That is extra time nonetheless which is why I think the 7-day will work better for most of us ... still it's a nice cruise for not much more $$$ so I want to include it.

Here is some of the basic pricing from HAL's website. I've consolidated it - if you want more detail, please email me.

Ms Westerdam - FALL 2006

7-day Eastern Caribbean - RT from Ft. Lauderdale – Grand Turk, Phillipsburg, Road Town, HMC

10/15/06 – Suites $2677.88, Insides $832.88

10/29/06 – Suites $2677.88, Insides $832.88

7-day Western Caribbean – RT from Ft. Lauderdale – HMC, Grand Turk, George Town, Cozumel

10/22/06 – Suites $2681.32, Insides $836.32

11/5/06 - Suites $2681.32, Insides $836.32

Ms Volendam – FALL 2006

10–day Southern Caribbean – RT from Ft. Lauderdale – Aruba, Curacao, Dominica. St. Thomas, HMC

11/3/2006 – Suites $2690.19, Insides $1040.19

11/23/06 – Suites $2860.19, Insides $1090.19

I voted for October 29 Westerdam but would also be happy with November 13 Volendam. I still haven't discussed any of this with DH and won't until I have 'some information' about which to talk.

Thank you, Heather, for going to the trouble of posting the poll. The results should give us a good idea of what is the most popular choice.

We would be two.....one Suite needed.

I voted for the Southern Caribbean on the Volendam. I would like to try a 10 day cruise and I really want to visit Aruba and the Southern Caribbean. I like the fact that we have some sea days the ship goes to Half Moon Cay, and the price is not much more than the 7 day Eastern Caribbean on the Westerdam which is my second choice.

This would be for 2 people, pending the results of our Zaandam cruise this Saturday ( first time HAL cruise).

Thank you for all your hard work.

Janice

P.S.

Heather,

My sister lives in Palm Beach County. She is driving up to meet the Zaandam on the 26th.

Heather,

Thanks for putting all of this together for us!

I voted for the Westerdam, the first November sailing. That is the week we typically take a cruise.

I can go earlier or later ... I am somewhat flexible.

My mother and sister usually go with us [2 cabins] but I think it's hard for them to plan that far in advance. They're already booked on the Westerdam 11/13 cruise with us this fall!

As far as the Volendam, I would have to check the deck plans. I am thinking it has far less handicapped accessible rooms, which DH requires.

Also, I only have 2 weeks off from work, and I'd liek to take 2 cruises!

I apologize if I missed this in all the postings, but when would the downpayment be required? I mentioned it to DH the other day & he just rolled his eyes. Paying the balance of our 5/14 cruise soon, plus just put $ downon the Westerdam 11/13!

I voted for the 11/05/06 Western Caribbean cruise only because DW and I are sailing on Zuiderdam 10/01 this year for an Eastern Caribbean cruise, but would do either one for a CC cruise. There would be two of us (maybe more).

Richard

We are interested but we generally book with a TA that we accumulate cruise points who shall go nameless.. But if this is a real good deal etc, we may be interested. Depends on what the group all decides.

FYI I called today to inquire about the Volendam and got some prices. Cabin's price OK but the TA told me HAL wants $1,200 deposit!! YIKES, that is twice what we normally give them and close to 50% of the cost of the cruise. Has anyone heard of this? I hope this is not HAL's new policy. They will lose lots of early bookers that way. Maybe the TA was confused but I asked her three times if she was sure this was $600 per person and she said yes!

Sail, do you mean the 11/3 or 11/23 on the Volendam ... I didn't give the 13th as one of the choices.

:o Misread the dates. Hmmm....but that does change my mind. I wouldn't mind doing the ten day Volendam but do not want to board on Thanksgiving Day. I would have liked to be aboard for Thanksgiving as we have enjoyed that holiday aboard several ships and they were wonderful. But if that was embarkation day, after unpacking, doing lifeboat drill and presumably everyone meeting up with eachother at some point......it would not be much of a holiday feel. IMO

So....No, I guess DH and I would eliminate the Volendam choice. The November 3 date is okay but no particular incentive to do ten days then. We would have done a pre and post cruise stay for a Thanksgiving cruise and made it into 2 weeks away.

We are interested but we generally book with a TA that we accumulate cruise points who shall go nameless.. But if this is a real good deal etc, we may be interested. Depends on what the group all decides.

FYI I called today to inquire about the Volendam and got some prices. Cabin's price OK but the TA told me HAL wants $1,200 deposit!! YIKES, that is twice what we normally give them and close to 50% of the cost of the cruise. Has anyone heard of this? I hope this is not HAL's new policy. They will lose lots of early bookers that way. Maybe the TA was confused but I asked her three times if she was sure this was $600 per person and she said yes!

torpeedo -

We are paying $600 pp deposit on our 12/17/05 Ryndam sailing. I was told it was $600 because it was a Holiday sailing. One of the Volendam cruises listed above is over Thanksgiving, so that may be the reason for the $600 deposit.

We do not know what our deposit requirements will be for this CC group cruise, but will let everyone know once we find out.

I would have liked to be aboard for Thanksgiving as we have enjoyed that holiday aboard several ships and they were wonderful. But if that was embarkation day, after unpacking, doing lifeboat drill and presumably everyone meeting up with eachother at some point......it would not be much of a holiday feel. IMO

I wish it weren't embarkation day either... that changed it for me.

Thanks EKerr. I was just floored. We have two cruises booking in 05 and paid a deposit of $700 for each one. I guess everything is going up up up. CC cruises get a lower deposit, sometimes as low as $25 pp. That's not HAL though so I would not expect that kind of deal! We are booked on two cc cruises, Princess in Sept 05 and the Jewel of the Seas 4/22/06. Paid $500 total dep each one because we picked a specific cabin.

I could be wrong, but I think the longer cruises are always a bit more of a deposit.

I want to point out something about the itineraries that may or may not have an effect on your choice.

The Eastern itinerary has the first day at sea and HMC on the last day. The Western itinerary you're at HMC on the first day out with the last day at sea. We all may view this differently. I always like HMC on my last day ... sort of rounds out the week. But I also admit I'm partial to the Eastern itinerary this go 'round.

I wish we were getting a more definite response. I'm hoping for more votes tonight.

Oh my!

I was going to vote for the "new" Eastern itinerary which sounds terrific...but the dates are the problem for me. I work for a non-profit and we have a big fundraiser the beginning of November (generally the first few days) so I would not be able to go on a late October trip :( ...as I'm the one who runs the event.

Any chance there's an Eastern trip the second or third week of November everyone would want to go on???

Tif, there is an 11/12 Eastern cruise and we could certainly have that as another choice for the Eastern group.

Some additional information: I just compared prices for the Westerdam and Volendam (in a standard type Verandah category) and find it is much larger than appears at first glance. For DH and I it's about $1000 more for the Volendam with the deposit of $1200 that Torpeedo mentioned (actually I thought it said $1400 but I could be wrong).

Not sure that DH and I can rationalize $1000 for 3 extra days as much as I like the itinerary.

The 7 day cruises are asking for only $700 for a couple.

I'm a little puzzled that so many votes are coming in for the Volendam since on the other thread it weighed heavily for the Westerdam. I'm hoping all those people have voted.

Tif, there is an 11/12 Eastern cruise and we could certainly have that as another choice for the Eastern group.

Oh, YES! :D

If anyone else is up for an 11/12 sailing I would throw my hat in for 1 cabin for 2 on that one.

Tiffany

Oh, YES! :D

If anyone else is up for an 11/12 sailing I would throw my hat in for 1 cabin for 2 on that one.

Tiffany

I'm all for the 11/12 sailing on Westerdam - that'll still gets us home in time for Thanksgiving!

I wonder if they'll have any pre-Christmas sales in the Caribbean???

;)

I need to know if those of you voting for the Western 11/5 checked it because of the date or the itinerary. In other words, do you really want a 7-day and would you be agreeable to the Eastern.

And it would be helpful to know if those checking the 10-day Volendam could do the other and vice versa. As it stands, it's too close to call. We'll give it a couple of days and see.

I voted for the 11/23 Thanksgiving sailing but the 11/3 sailing would be fine too.

If the group decides on a 7 day eastern I vote for the 11/12 proposal. I really don't like to sail in hurricane season unless it is mid to late November since I like to have a reasonable chance of getting to the planned ports :D

It's all good though...thanks for the good job!

Linda

Archived