Epic Transatlantic Update

jarz85

Well we have 3 more days of the cruise and boy have the seas/winds picked up!

At the moment we have 50kt winds and 20-25ft seas!!!! Gladly me and my mum arent seasick! Our cabin is around the mid-aft section and the balcony is soaking wet and covered in salt from the waves!

The ship is handling the waves quite well... you can definitely feel it and when we just went up to the Bridge Viewing Room it felt like we were floating off the ground!!

Entertainment has been great... saw Jeff Hobson the magician last night and that was hilarious, definitely the best show of the cruise so far!

Well... time to go and take some photos! Went up to deck 18 just before and it feels like a hurricane... I almost got blown to the floor!

At the moment we have 50kt winds and 20-25ft seas!!!! Gladly me and my mum arent seasick! Our cabin is around the mid-aft section and the balcony is soaking wet and covered in salt from the waves!

Which is another reason I have not yet jumped on a TA sailing - the seas can get "angry"! I replied on another thread a few days ago that it didn't look like the conditions would be too bad, though that was based on an ocean wave forecast site... which is only as good as the data they have or the interpretation of same. LINK

What's your correct position (latitude/longitude) - it would be interesting to see where you are in all that mess!

20-25 ft..... YIKES!

Tom

The ship is handling the waves quite well... you can definitely feel it and when we just went up to the Bridge Viewing Room it felt like we were floating off the ground!!

Entertainment has been great... saw Jeff Hobson the magician last night and that was hilarious, definitely the best show of the cruise so far!

Well... time to go and take some photos! Went up to deck 18 just before and it feels like a hurricane... I almost got blown to the floor!

Wow, that sounds like one wild ride. I'm not sure I'd be a happy camper with 20-25' waves:eek: Glad you are doing well though and enjoying the 'ride'! I'm just as happy to hear that the ship is handling things well too.

Isn't there a first time cruiser on the TA too - thought I read an almost live thing here? I will be interested to hear how he/she enjoyed (I hope) their cruise.

Wow, that sounds like one wild ride. I'm not sure I'd be a happy camper with 20-25' waves:eek: Glad you are doing well though and enjoying the 'ride'! I'm just as happy to hear that the ship is handling things well too.

Isn't there a first time cruiser on the TA too - thought I read an almost live thing here? I will be interested to hear how he/she enjoyed (I hope) their cruise.

This is my first cruise ever... so maybe it was me?? We are running out of internet time so dont know how many more posts I will do before getting off!

The ships current position is 36.22.69N 18.06.58W

It doesnt help that the wind is coming pretty much at the ship head on!

Thanks - you are pretty much in the thick of it!

Actually, it probably does help that the wind is from the front. If it were at an off angle, you would likely have an additional component to the motion of the ship. Not just up and down, but the uneasy 3rd dimension. I have never had (knock on wood) real issues with motion sickness, but do notice a little more uneasiness when the ship rocks and rolls in multiple directions!

Tom

This is my first cruise ever... so maybe it was me?? We are running out of internet time so dont know how many more posts I will do before getting off!

You must be 'the' brave soul to take a TA as a first cruise then. LOL! I'm glad that you are enjoying it.

My first cruise was a Caribbean one but the ship definitely hit a rough patch of weather/seas (at least to me - 10 to 12' if memory serves me right). I thought that was craziness but I actually grew to like it ... after a ginger pill or two:o

Check back in with us when you hit land and some internet time again! Enjoy the remainder of your cruise and here's to some calm seas for you soon!

I happened to look at the webcam, my last night, your early morning. With the sun reflecting off the waves it looked like it could be some interesting seas. Hope you are out of it soon. My biggest fear is heavy seas on any cruise 'cause I get seasick :o

I have a friend on that cruise its her first cruise as well! Cant wait to hear the stories!:D

I recall one cruise where we met some newbie cruisers though CC. It was their first cruise and we had ~15' seas. It was their last cruise as well... and the seas were the reason. I could not convince them that such was not a common occurrence.

Tom

I've heard from some folks on your sailing too and they're saying the last few days have not been fun. It started off great but maybe you've just hit some storms, maybe the ones that have been hanging around off the East Coast of the USA. There was a HUGE storm out at sea that kept us in New England in the clouds all last week. Maybe that's kicked up the ocean so much that you folks are now feeling it. :cool:

Make it safely to Barcelona and we look forward to your review when you return! :)

I think we've hit the '3rd dimension' waves now... whilst having dinner in Manhattan we were sitting at the window and no joke the boat was rising and falling so much everyone was commenting on it.

A couple of entertainers have mentioned not feeling the best and when we were in the Epic theatre earlier the Comedian guy almost fell off the stairs. Even the cruise director, Andy, is suffering as he was gulping down some ginger beer during the trivia marathon this morning!

We've already got our 2nd cruise booked and dont plan on cancelling it due to the rough weather, its actually kinda cool having decent waves!

Well, tonight is the white hot party! Gonna go and have a relax/dance in Bliss!

Be very, VERY glad it is not hitting you from the side. The rocking back and forth would be terrible. Been there, done that.

Hi all!

Rick ~ I had been following your TA thread as I'm getting on the Epic when you get off. Glad to hear you haven't let the bad weather influence you into cancelling your next cruise.

DId you have nice weather in Ponta Delgada? It sure is a beautiful place.

Take care & hope things settle down soon!

~ Jo ~ :)

I guess it must be the whim of nature when we went on trans atlantic we had a few days as smooth as glass and just some bad waves a couple of days. i think we have had worse waves in the carib but glad your having a good first cruise. Will be glad to see your full rev.:)

The seas have calmed a bit today (only 3-13' swells!), but it's definitely better than yesterday. We are on Deck 17 (Courtyard) and the spray was hitting our balcony yesterday!:eek:

I've been in rougher seas than what we had yesterday, so it didn't seem that bad to me, although my wife was feeling a bit under the weather.

Even Slam Allen was a bit weezy last night, but the band still played until 12:30AM. By the way, his contract is over on July 17, but he'll be back 6 weeks later.

Fat Cats and Howl at the Moon are fantastic. For the past 3 nights, "guest" performers have played with Slam, as the BMG and Legends performers are finished for this cruise. Slam just calls up someone, or walks around and hands off his guitar to one of the other musicians. Dominic (BMG Lead Guitarist) is absolutely FANTASTIC. He mimiced Jimi Hendrix last night, to perfection!

This is the best cruise, and best ship, that I have ever been on.

Rick

Rick

:D My husband and I have pretty much decided that our next cruise will be on the Epic again on her Eastern Caribbean itinerary. I was looking at some other NCL ships and itineraries, but he's been spoiled. We will try something else if his parents want (we owe them a vacation :) ), but if it's just us, we're going with Epic again.

The seas have calmed a bit today (only 3-13' swells!), but it's definitely better than yesterday. We are on Deck 17 (Courtyard) and the spray was hitting our balcony yesterday!:eek:

I've been in rougher seas than what we had yesterday, so it didn't seem that bad to me, although my wife was feeling a bit under the weather.

Even Slam Allen was a bit weezy last night, but the band still played until 12:30AM. By the way, his contract is over on July 17, but he'll be back 6 weeks later.

Fat Cats and Howl at the Moon are fantastic. For the past 3 nights, "guest" performers have played with Slam, as the BMG and Legends performers are finished for this cruise. Slam just calls up someone, or walks around and hands off his guitar to one of the other musicians. Dominic (BMG Lead Guitarist) is absolutely FANTASTIC. He mimiced Jimi Hendrix last night, to perfection!

Rick

Hey Canuck, who is the concierge now? DH and I are great Howl fans--can't wait for our E. Caribb sailing this Christmas--you're getting me impatient.

Personally I have no problem with rough seas and would probably love the ride, but I do sympathize with the less fortunate who need ginger pills..I've only been seasick twice in my life, and it is definitely MISERABLE!

erdoran:

Monica has been onboard for 3 months, and was supposed to leave in Barcelona. Ruth was to return to the EPIC after vacation. However, this morning Monica was notified that Ruth's grandfather is sick, so Monica will stay for the 4 day cruise later this week, and Ruth will return on the weekend.

Monica is going back to the Jewel immediately (out of New York). She'll be onboard this weekend, and Ruth will be here!

Rick

Archived