I feel sick!

I paid for a cruise for my parents anniversary last year. It was fun planning it for them and letting them in on the surprise.

Take it from somebody who has done it, they wouldn't have paid for it if they didn't have the money/didn't want to!

We celebrated our 25th wedding Anniversary last night! Our kids PAID for a cruise for us. How can I accept such an expensive gift from our children without feeling guilty.:confused:

You accept, because you have children who obviousley love you very much and think your both worth it. Look forward to it and enjoy :)

You can't. I would be happy to help you by taking it off your hands! :D

Honestly, don't feel sick. They are probably thrilled to be able to do this for you! Happy anniversary!

You accept it with a smile on your face and joy in your voice. You are very blessed to be celebrating this anniversary with children that love their parents so much they are getting rid of them for a week.;) Then you take the cruise with a smile on your face and joy in your voice, and toast to the kids at least once a day while sitting on the deck drinking something tropical with fruit and an umbrella in it. Don't forget to grab them t-shirts at one port that say something like "We sent our parents to the Caribbean and all they brought back was this t-shirt". And then, of course, you have a splendid time. When they pick you up at the airport, have a sly grin on your face for all the things you and your spouse did that is truely nothing you would tell your kids about :eek:. Have a great time.

We celebrated our 25th wedding Anniversary last night! Our kids PAID for a cruise for us. How can I accept such an expensive gift from our children without feeling guilty.:confused:

Seems like your children all pulled together and plotted against you! Obviously as parents, you've made a good impression and this is just a little way for them to say thank you, and that you deserve to enjoy yourselves for your quarter century anniversary :eek:

I did this for my parents when they retired. Thank your kids, enjoy your trip, and be greatful! You are blessed!

Smile and say Thank you sooooooo much. Then do something nice for each of them.

We suprised our sons by telling them we are taking them and their families on a cruise in January on the Mariner. They are so excited. Sons have cruised but not their families so it has been fun planning.

Enjoy your cruise.

Oh how lovely, dont feel guilty it is not appropriate guilt. sounds like you both put a lot in and have got kids who want to say thanks.

there is a great joy in giving, just think more than you two are happy, the kids will also be feeling great and they deserve that feeling too.

congrats to you all

Lay out on the Pool Deck and let the Sun melt the guilt away. Don't forget the two for one Martini special, that helps. Seriously, if you have kids that are that considerate, you must have raised them right. It's a blessing, enjoy. ;)

Our thirtieth is this summer. I would lovingly accept a cruise from our boys. They are probably getting us a sound system for our basement media area since we're finishing the space in the next couple of months.

Why on earth do you feel guilty? You accept it, thank them, and have a great time.

What great and generous kids you have.

If you don't accept it, you'll hurt their feelings. No guilt. You've done a lot for them and they appreciate it.

My husband and his sister sent my in-laws on a trip to Hawaii for their 25th anniversary. They all still talk about how fun that was, both the trip and the giving of the trip. It's 23 years later now.

Where are you going? Which ship?

Trick them and book them on the same cruise to go with you. :)

You have to be kidding me. "Sick" over being given a cruise. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

That is such a wonderful gift. I would love to do the same for my mom and step dad one day.

Don't feel guilty, I am sure that they are thrilled to be able to give you both such a great gift.

You know what OP? I understand what you are going though. It is not easy to accept this and it is truely a very humbling experience.

I just had my 50th bday May1st. We have been planning this cruise all ready and it was planned and the deposit payed. Then I recieve a bday check from my brother that was very unexpected. It is the amount to pay for the cruise. My brother did not know how I would spend the money. When I told him, he was so happy that I was spening the money on myself and not a "bill.

Believe it or not, I felt sick too. My DH was shocked and the emotions of the experience are over whelming. I put the check in my jewlery box and let it sit there for several days just to absorb it all. At the weeks end, I was ready to emotionally handle the check, put it in the bank and I have made our final cruise payment.

When I talked to my brother to thank him, he told me that it was easy for him. He owns his own oil company and I know he has money but I have never expected any from him.

So, the only thing I can say is give yourself a week for the adrenaline to get out of your blood stream and that sick feeling will lessen.

For me, my niece is getting married and my Mom and I are planning on a shower for her. Because of the money my brother gave me, I am able to take the other monies and give her even a nicer shower at a tea room instead of at home. So one huge gift can turn into another huge gift. Think of how this can enable you to give and bless someone else.

Enjoy your cruise OP!!!!

I have taken my parents along on every cruise that we have gone on. The last thing that I would ever want is for them to feel guilty about it. I am happy that I can afford to bring them and it doesn't come close to comparing what they have done for me over the years. All I ever want is for them to have a great time and to create some great family memories.

So... get over it and have a great time.

Trick them and book them on the same cruise to go with you. :)

Now there's an idea.:)

I wish I could afford to send my mom on one. She wouldn't go though, "too much water" in her words. "Ma, it's a cruise." my words. I would have to break down and go on it myself.:D Enjoy your cruise and know that you are blessed with children who want, and can obviously afford, to do something really fantastic for you.:cool:

What a nice thing for them to do. Lucky you, it sounds like you have wonderful kids. Accept the gift and enjoy.

DW and I went on a cruise last summer to celebrate our 25th anniversary. It was wonderful... of course we didn't have to deal with the "guilt" of having someone else pay for it.

Seriously, congratulations on 25 years and on raising such amazing kids. ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!:)

My Therapist told me that you can't feel guilty if you did nothing wrong. It sounds like you did everything right! You raised very loving, generous, children! Congratulations on your 25th! Have a great cruise!

We sent our parents on a cruise as a Christmas gift. They can't afford it right now and the three of us together could, so why not? Just remember all the vacations and wonderful things you have given them all their lives and think of it as an awesome thank you gift!!!

Happy Anniversary!!

Archived