FOS Skating Shows

We have never cruised before and will be on FOS July 3rd. My question is about the skating show. Do they have this show every night? What time are the shows? I will be travelling with 2 teen girls 16 and 17 and both are highly competitive figure skaters for many years (the 16 year old is looking into the show scene in her skating career), I am sure they will want to see the show and possibly more than once. We have an 8:30 seating for dinner so are the shows before dinner or after. Also, is the ice synthetic or real? The girls might want to bring their skates just to say they skated on the ship.

Any input will help.

Thank you!

My ships had 3 shows. Two on one of the first sea days and one later in the week. When it is announced the tickets will be given out, I get in line at least 20 minutes early and get tickets for our cabin.

THEN I get to the show even earlier. I want to sit in the first row of seats so they are doing those triple axels and spraying me with ice. I want to see them close up. Dont wait to get to the show when it starts or the good seats will be gone as they are first come first served.

If you wanted to go again, Id go to the purser's desk and ask for another set of tickets. They probably wouldnt give them out for more than one show when they are handing them out ..but you can usually get in later and get another set of tickets... or they have it if the show doesnt fill then you can go in, but you will sit in the back.

There are several showtimes...the shows are all the same. They have multiple shows so that everyone onboard might have a chance to see the show.

The ice is real...but it's a small "rink"....

Get tickets (if needed) for the show of your choice. If you wish to see the same show again, just go to the theater, and if seats are available, they will let you in. You do want to allow others to be able to see the show, so don't try to take someone else's spot by trying to obtain tickets to something you've already seen.

No need to bring your own skates...................they supply them. I believe the ice is real. Show is amazing!

If you ice skate, you will want your own figure skates, not those boot type skates. ..but bringing your own skates would be a pain I agree, added weight.

I cant stand to wear rentals.

We just disembarked from Freedom yesterday. Yes, it is real ice. Smaller rink than usual, but the skaters get used to it and are outstanding considering that the seas can get rough and pitch the rink a bit. We had four shows, there were two shows at 5p.m., one at 7p.m. and one at 9p.m. thruout the week. Enough to be available to everyone.

Rick and Deirdra

Your words were "highly competitive figure skaters"... just so you know, the ice is very small, and there is no room for spins, jumps, etc. Anyone skating with any amount of speed is not really welcomed with open arms there, due to the sheer volume of little kids and beginning skaters just trying to stay on their feet.

Just wanted to let you and the girls know this - an ice rink at sea is a novel concept, yes, but it's not "all that" for anyone who can actually skate well, if you will. Obviously JMHO. :)

Your words were "highly competitive figure skaters"... just so you know, the ice is very small, and there is no room for spins, jumps, etc. Anyone skating with any amount of speed is not really welcomed with open arms there, due to the sheer volume of little kids and beginning skaters just trying to stay on their feet.

Just wanted to let you and the girls know this - an ice rink at sea is a novel concept, yes, but it's not "all that" for anyone who can actually skate well, if you will. Obviously JMHO. :)

I also wanted to add that there may be a few "advanced skate" sessions throughout the week (at least there were on the Explorer last month.) This is the time you are allowed to do jumps, spins, and skate with speed. To participate in an advanced skate, you must have your own skates. "Advanced" is a misnomer IMHO because anyone who brought skates is welcome at that time. My 8 year old recreational skater enjoys advanced skate on the ship, where at home she would not be allowed on the ice during "advanced skate" unless she was in a lesson. There was also a ~7 year old girl skating who was probably a basic skills level 5 or 6 at most.

The ice is real but pond quality. My hats off to those performers, I don't know how they do it!

When getting tickets, they only allowed us to take tickets for one show. Problem solved because my DH also got in line and picked up additional tickets for a different show time. (we got in line at different times and didn't realize the other person had already gotten tickets, so this was an accident, not an attempt to cheat the system.)

The ice is real! I'd definitely recommend being early in line to get tickets for the ice show when they are being distributed. Also recommend going to the show early to get good seats. Even though they tell people not to save seats, there were many individuals who would save seats for their family of 10.

As for the show itself, I was not too impressed but I guess it's pretty good for the small small rink that the performers had to utilize. As a former competitive skater I was a bit disappointed...but it is pretty awesome to say you have skated on a cruise ship! :)

Archived