Pricing

We offer 6 different rate packages, which include the following:

-$.95 per minute with no package

-100 minutes for $80.00, additional minutes are $.80 per minute

-200 minutes for $140.00, additional minutes are $.70 per minute

-500 minutes for $300.00, additional minutes are $.60 per minute

-800 minutes for $400.00, additional minutes are $.50 per minute

-1,200 minutes for $540.00, additional minutes are $.45 per minute

Package amounts are charged upfront and no refunds will be made for unused minutes. All additional minutes are charged at the same rate level.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/lifestyle/stayintouch.aspx

On the Regatta next week I have no intention of buying another package from O. I'll just take care of business at internet cafes in each port. This is the only cruise line where I would do this.

Is the problem only with WiFi? In other words, is the internet from the ship's wired computers in the computer center adequate?

I usually took my computer up near the computer lab ... the interent was not as fast as at home (understandable) but it worked fine

I did not have much luck getting connected from my cabin on deck 7 on Marina

I did use the lab computer near the end of the cruise to try to print off my boarding pass the connection was fine but with operator error I did not get them printed ;)

I did help one of the other ladies do hers & worked fine

I think it depends on user load, time of day & location of the ship whether the connection is fast or not

Just my experience

Lyn

I usually took my computer up near the computer lab ... the interent was not as fast as at home (understandable) but it worked fine

I did not have much luck getting connected from my cabin on deck 7 on Marina

Lyn

I had my laptop as well. I could not get a connection from my cabin ever- aft deck 7.

I would go to a common area, usually late at night, and the connection was still painfully slow. There were a few times when I logged on, and it took such a long time that I logged off, which also took a long time - the whole process took more than five minutes, without being able to do anything.

I had my laptop as well. I could not get a connection from my cabin ever- aft deck 7.

I would go to a common area, usually late at night, and the connection was still painfully slow. There were a few times when I logged on, and it took such a long time that I logged off, which also took a long time - the whole process took more than five minutes, without being able to do anything.

I can say I did not have it that slow :eek:

But very weak connection in the cabin (7114) so I gave up & just went up by Barristas, had my internet & coffee hit at the same time;)

Lyn

I have been one of the most vocal critics of Oceania's terrible Internet in the past.

However, I must say that there was visible and palpable improvement in the speed on our recent Marina cruises. Not all the time and not consistently but often enough for me to get stuff done. I even ran a sort of "Live from Marina" thread from one of the segments. I got all that and my personal e mail done with a $140 (200 minute) package.

You have to pick your times right and log off when it 's slow.

PS wifi is not consistent in most cabins - better in public places and Internet lab

I have just finished a 10 day cruise on Marina. The comments regarding lack of internet signal in guest rooms are spot on. We were in a penthouse on the 11th floor and were unable to get a signal in the room. How can a new ship such as this be constructed without wi-fi throughout the ship is beyond me. Speed of the internet connection from the computer centre was very slow on most occasions. I used shore internet cafes as they were much faster, cheaper and reliable than the shipboard service.

We were on Marina last month for ten days in a mid-ship 11th floor stateroom. Late in the cruise, I learned that as long as I sat in the chair closest to the hallway, the connection was a tad better. Otherwise, it was so painfully slow that it really was not worth the money at all. But, I wanted to Skype the grandkids, so that was worth it (when the connection didn't freeze up).

We'll be back on Marina next November for a TA, and if it appears that the Internet provider/connection is still as bad, I doubt I'll purchase any time. I do feel that at least 1/3 of my 500 minutes were wasted on waiting....waiting....waiting....for pages to load or lost connections.

I did try to log-on at the Internet Cafe, but didn't really notice much difference.

Live and learn.

I have just finished a 10 day cruise on Marina. The comments regarding lack of internet signal in guest rooms are spot on. We were in a penthouse on the 11th floor and were unable to get a signal in the room. How can a new ship such as this be constructed without wi-fi throughout the ship is beyond me. Speed of the internet connection from the computer centre was very slow on most occasions. I used shore internet cafes as they were much faster, cheaper and reliable than the shipboard service.

When we questioned the internet guy (who actually is not an Oceania employee) he told us the problem is the antennas are placed too far apart (I believe he said 30 feet) and the ship is too dense, with a lot of mental and heavy doors, for the signal to travel well. We all got better reception in the lab because he had an antenna on his desk. He said Oceania was advised to place them closer, but did not. Same configuration on the R ships but our friends tell us their experience better and internet guy's explanation was older ship, less density, etc. Secondary problem is lack of bandwidth for volume of users. Same on all ships so fewer passengers and crew mean less competetion for resource. Signal goes back through servers in Miami, so there's another opportunity to "clog the pipe" so to speak. We mentioned all of this on our cruise evaluation and don't know that it will do any good. Sorry the explanation was so long!

I would take my laptop up to the internet room (having given up on trying to get a connection in my suite) and sit directly next to Doug, the internet rep because the antenna was located beneath his desk. It hardly helped at all.

Paul, I'm glad to hear it improved after the crossing.

Archived