Princess increased auto tipping

mph045

Yes Pia, they went up $1 per person per day. I for one am happy to see this. Tips have not increased in a very long time for the hardworking crew. $1 per day is no more than a cup of brewed coffee onboard.......so I feel it is very justified. ;)

Hi Cruzdude,

I do not like auto tips, or the wages the staff get, I do tip.and I do leave the auto tip on.

But I would prefer they just increased the fare and paid the staff more.

yours Shogun

Yes Pia, they went up $1 per person per day. I for one am happy to see this. Tips have not increased in a very long time for the hardworking crew. $1 per day is no more than a cup of brewed coffee onboard.......so I feel it is very justified. ;)

Since I just returned home on Tuesday I wasn't aware of it. Ours on the Grand didn't increase, but I understand the cruise that started right after us did. I'm with you. The extra dollar doesn't bother me at all.

Since I just returned home on Tuesday I wasn't aware of it. Ours on the Grand didn't increase, but I understand the cruise that started right after us did. I'm with you. The extra dollar doesn't bother me at all.

Pia, look back on the posts you missed while you were gone (it's back a couple of pages now I think), there was a HUGE uproar about the increased dollar a day that was UNBELIEVABLE. You would have thought the cruise line asked for someones first born child instead of an extra dollar a day. :eek:

Pia, look back on the posts you missed while you were gone (it's back a couple of pages now I think), there was a HUGE uproar about the increased dollar a day that was UNBELIEVABLE. You would have thought the cruise line asked for someones first born child instead of an extra dollar a day. :eek:

Some of them would probably opt to give that first born instead of the dollar. :rolleyes:

One of the dictionary descriptions of the word "Gratuity" is

Something given without claim or demand.

If one looks at their Passenger Folio statement it will show the daily charge in question as HC and at the bottom of the invoice the description of the code, one of 53 possible, is "Hotel & Dining Charge". Ergo it is not a gratuity. The gratuity is earmarked as TP, which at the bottom of the page shows "Gratuity".

As soon as we all get the idea that TP is a gratuity and HC is a charge, we will be able to put this subject to bed and get on with the pleasures of sailing............and tipping !

We missed the increased charge earlier this month....and I hadn't noticed a thread on the topic of the increase...must have been asleep. However, I can't imagine that an extra $1 a day is going to spoil anyone's cruise and when you think of the value of the service it is a pretty small amount.

It's not the 1$ that bothers a lot of folks its being forced to pay it, if anyone feels the crew is underpaid they are welcome to extra tip as much as they want(I usually tip extra) but I don't like when folks force me to tip more. Especially when Princess was so sneaky about it and just did it without telling anyone!

It's not the 1$ that bothers a lot of folks its being forced to pay it, if anyone feels the crew is underpaid they are welcome to extra tip as much as they want(I usually tip extra) but I don't like when folks force me to tip more. Especially when Princess was so sneaky about it and just did it without telling anyone!

I don't see anything sneaky about this at all. Since they don't list the gratutity amount (actually the hotel charge amount) on your booking to begin with, it IS on the Princess website for all to see, just as it always has been. Passengers can read for themselves, just as they always have done in the past, about the auto amount. To me this is like passengers who don't read the passenger contract and then claim "they had no idea the ship could change ports of call for any reason", but since they didn't read, they didn't realize and feel that Princess is pulling a fast one on them. IMHO

From the Princess Website:

"To simplify the tipping process for our passengers, a discretionary gratuity of $12 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $11.50 per passenger in all other staterooms per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet."

But you're not forced to pay it. It is a discretionary charge

If one looks at their Passenger Folio statement it will show the daily charge in question as HC and at the bottom of the invoice the description of the code, one of 53 possible, is "Hotel & Dining Charge". Ergo it is not a gratuity. The gratuity is earmarked as TP, which at the bottom of the page shows "Gratuity".

As soon as we all get the idea that TP is a gratuity and HC is a charge, we will be able to put this subject to bed and get on with the pleasures of sailing............and tipping !

From the Princess web site:

"To simplify the tipping process for our passengers, a discretionary gratuity of $12 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $11.50 per passenger in all other staterooms per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis."

It seems quite plain to me that the daily charge is a gratuity.

From the Princess web site:

"To simplify the tipping process for our passengers, a discretionary gratuity of $12 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $11.50 per passenger in all other staterooms per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis."

It seems quite plain to me that the daily charge is a gratuity.

Would you pay for services on word alone, as in you owe me so much? I doubt it. We wouldn't. No, we must have an invoice and it is the invoice that represents the charges and this invoice in question says quite clearly that the daily entry in question is a charge.

With you & Pia on this one. The crew (especially hotel staff...cabin stewards etc) literally work their buns off for long hours during the day and are on like a split shift with early and late hours which extends the day considerably.

If people can afford to spend USD$3800 on a 12 day cruise, then an additional USD$12 per person for that cruise is not going to kill them, however after some of the severe whining on the other thread on this very subject you'd think that everyone was down to their last cent/pence/peso (whatever) and it will drastically affect their decision to continue cruising with Princess.

To sum it up tactfully and succinctly...GIVE ME A BREAK!!!. Most folks would be the first to complain if they didn't get an additional USD$10 per diem. Should those folks make their conscience driven decision not to cruise with Princess, there will always be someone to take their place.

Ciao for now!!!

Well we have always like the auto-tip. Less cash to carry. It is not forced, you have the option to have it removed or not used at all. We have never done this because have always had good service. Once in awhile somebody is not on top of his or her game we all have those days. Nothing that would cause us to remove the auto-tip which is for everybody. Didn't know about adding, thought they had to add extra to the pool. We understand this is not the case if the auto-tip is in place. Hope this is true.

Laura E.

The strange thing is that most (if not all) of my auto-tips are actually "paid by Princess" with money from Future Cruise Credit and Onboard Money my TA gives me for booking in group space. I am assuming that many others on this board also get this money. So the recommended tips really are not costing me that much, if any at all.

I do tip extra (cash on top of auto tipping) as IMO - these people deserve it as they work incredibly hard.

Picked up an interesting comment from a return cruiser on the Au/NZ Cruisers board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1420141

Seems that tipping for Australian/NZers on local Princess cruises now has to be included in the cruise price , and not charged as an extra.

However confusion seems to still range, as Overseas cruisers are still charged the service fee, and if locals have booked through an overseas TA, they are also charged the fee.

Why cant they keep it simple.;)

I can just imagine the talk at the dining table when guests are discussing their on board accounts.:eek:

Picked up an interesting comment from a return cruiser on the Au/NZ Cruisers board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1420141

Seems that tipping for Australian/NZers on local Princess cruises now has to be included in the cruise price , and not charged as an extra.

However confusion seems to still range, as Overseas cruisers are still charged the service fee, and if locals have booked through an overseas TA, they are also charged the fee.

Why cant they keep it simple.;)

I can just imagine the talk at the dining table when guests are discussing their on board accounts.:eek:

So, it sounds like those Australians that manage to find a way to book through a US TA to save money ............ really aren't. in the long run? ;)

You can always reduce it.15 day cruise in a mini for 2 will now cost $360.00 instead of $315.00. Its fine to say they deserve it but my income has been going DOWN the last 4 years, so its something to think about. Everyone wants you to pay more but unfortunately companies are doing their best to pay us less. Something has to give eventually.

the service will have to be excellent for me to pay this.

I think what is now needed is a passenger revolution. Why should we pay the charges on our account if these charges are discreationary? Then let's make my bar bill discretionary. The time has come for we passengers who see the need and necessary to pay the hotel charges to oppose those who want it removed from their invoice. Perhaps if we organize a general passenger rebellion aboard to go to the purser's desk en mass to refuse to pay our hotel charge. Frankly we are tired of carrying those who sit back and receive all the benefits we do and who will not offer a simple amount of payment for same. Princess, you had better think about making this charge mandatory or there may just be a Cunard response aboard your ships.

the way we see it is the price of cruising just went up $2 a day. Not a big deal in the big scheme of things. If we can't afford $2 a day maybe I shouldn't be cruising. I fully appreciate people's salaries being frozen but if $2 a day makes that much of a difference to you... you may want to rethink things.

You may want to wait and evaluate your service on board and then decide.

For example - we have always paid the auto-tips but always thought they deserved more then what was recommended so we always tip extra because they sincerely earned more then what is allocated to them. For example - a room steward who cleans my room 2x in a day deserves more then $3.50 per person IMO. You may be surprised at how low the recommended amounts truly is for the work

REPLY: DO PEOPLE NOT REALIZE THIS?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART

you have to remember that the auto tip is split between the whole crew, the PSA(a sub of the "jones act") states that IF a ship is built/ registered/ staffed in the us they need to pay us wages. Nearly 100 percent of your 'favorite' lines are are registerd outside the us therfore the reason that your cruise is affordable is that they do not pay miminum wage and the crew relies on you to give them sustainable wages/month.

I agree with you on this. I haven’t received a raise in three years and now I have been told that my salary has been caped. This would be fine if the price of gas, food, utilities and taxes were also caped. Since we can't afford to cruise this year because we lack disposable income I won't be paying it either.

It's sad you will not be able to cruise this year.:( I have not received a raise in 3 years either this June will be 4 as we were told no money again. :(

We are doing a TA in Oct. but with our travel agent we pay something each month. We have been paying for this years since last April when we came back from that TA. We find this way we can do extra things on our vacations.:) We like the auto-tip and are suprised the cruise line has not increased before now.

Laura E.

Hi Cruzdude,

I do not like auto tips, or the wages the staff get, I do tip.and I do leave the auto tip on.

But I would prefer they just increased the fare and paid the staff more.

yours Shogun

They used to do that, and still solicited tipping. You remember, don't you? Example phrase: "Tipping is discretionary"

I also remember dozens of empty dining room chairs on the last night of the cruise!! :rolleyes:

Archived