Short Changed at Napier

We are sailing on Sun P to NZ at the end of this year, and I notice on the itinery that we spend just 7 hours in Napier. 800 am to 2.00pm. I have checked with other sailings and whilst arrival times vary, they are still only allowing 7 hours in this city.

All other destinations are a full day - 11 hours

Does anyone have any reasoning for this? I have not been to Napier before and I understand that there are plenty of things to see - especially tours to the many fine vineyards in the area - which could well occupy a full day.

I fancy Napier has been shortchanged!

cheers

The big thing with Napier is the beautiful city itself. Totally destroyed by an earthquake in the 1930's it is totally re-built in the most fantastic art deco style. The buildings are beautifully maintained an absolute highlight. The local traders put on a free shuttle bus from the pier to the centre of town . Also the local Tourism people dress in 1930's gear and offer private car transfers in the most magnificent vintage cars of the 1930/40's .

You can visit wineries anywhere in the world, the highlight in calling at Napier is the city itself, and 7 hours allow plenty of time to explore .

Whilst we spent a full day in Napier and did call at a local winery it was very commercial and touristy - nothing to rave about .

Dunedin (Trieri Gorge Railway), and Napier (the City itself) were the two standouts of our NZ cruise .

I think we were in Napier for longer than that...we took a tour to the Gannet colony at Cape Kidnappers, and I am fairly sure that was quite a longish excursion.

Certainly 7 hours is long enough to look around the town itself, but I agree that it would be rushed if you wanted to venture out into the Hawkes Bay wider area.

When we were there on Mercury there was a Jazz band playing on the pier, old cars and their occupants dressed for the era of the 20's and 30's. Everyone went down on the pier and had a dance. Great atmosphere and a great city to visit... We didn't leave until dusk.

Another bonus is that it's usually warmer in Napier than the rest of NZ.

Jilly:)

First cruise when we started at Fiordland we were to leave Napier at 2pm (only we didn't make it - tsunami)

Second cruise, same ship we went to Auckland first and didn't leave Napier until about 5 or 5.30, so I'd say it has something to do with distance.

Whatever time you have there, it is a lovely town to visit.

On our cruise this Nov with Sea Princess, we are in Napier from 12noon to 7pm. Take off an hour say at each end for embarking disembarking, that leaves 5 hrs. Perhaps this is a tidal port??? We too would love to know why it is not an all dayer.

Jen

Napier is a very challenging port for skippers, tight and narrow to enter, narrow channel depth etc and with the SUN, DAWN & SEA PRINCESS size boats tides also are an issue. The tides certainly DO dictate arrival and departure times at Napier for the larger vessels . Napier is one of few ports where tugs assist the arrivals and departures because of the challenging local conditions .

Napier is a very challenging port for skippers, tight and narrow to enter, narrow channel depth etc and with the SUN, DAWN & SEA PRINCESS size boats tides also are an issue. The tides certainly DO dictate arrival and departure times at Napier for the larger vessels . Napier is one of few ports where tugs assist the arrivals and departures because of the challenging local conditions .

I do remember marvelling at how the Captain was able to dock the ship in Napier - it was a tight squeeze!

And the tides explains the variances in port times. Thanks.

I can remember that on one visit by the Volendam, the Captain got the ship alongside with great difficulty, but because of strong winds and a strong tide flowing, he could not hold the ship at the wharf safely, so they turned around and left the port.:eek:

I can remember that on one visit by the Volendam, the Captain got the ship alongside with great difficulty, but because of strong winds and a strong tide flowing, he could not hold the ship at the wharf safely, so they turned around and left the port.:eek:

Now that would have been disappointing! Gosh the wind must have been strong.

Thats pretty much what I figured...sounds somewhat like Broome. When we were there back in 2009 on SunP we arrived at about 11am and did not sail away until 10pm. This was great as it allowed plenty of time to enjoy Cable Beach at sunset.

Another plus was the rare opportunity to photograph the ship from land at night.

cheers and thanks

Yes, we had a bit of a problem at Napier with the wind. The ship actually bounced back off the dock, however second go everything was OK. Thank goodness as we missed out the previous year due to the port being closed because of the expected tsunami.

When we visited Napier, we caught the ship's transfer service into town. Where the bus stopped, there were a lot of locals offering various tours etc. There was a respresentative there from Classic Sheepskins. They were running free tours of their sheep skin factory. They were paying for taxis to take us to Pandora (not a long drive), and there we did a tour of the factory. And the end of the tour we were all given a small square off sheep skin as a souveneir (approx 10cm x 10cm in size). We then were able to visit their shop where they sold a fantastic selection of sheepskin products. I picked up a fantastic pair of ugg boots for a very cheap price, as well as some slippers and sheepskin dusters. Then when you're reaady to go, they organise and pay for a taxi to take you back to where the ship's bus dropped you off in town. It was a great tour, and still had plenty of time to walk around Napier and see the sights.

If you are after more information on Classic Sheepskins, this is their website. If this tour is something you may be interested in, I would suggest contacting them to confim if the still offer the tours etc. http://www.classicsheepskins.co.nz/all_prodcats.php

As others have said, it is an art-deco theme town and is beautiful to walk through.

We also visited O'Possum World which was a short walk from where the ship's bus leaves you in town. They had a possum display, and also sold souveneirs including possum fur items. Their website if you're interested: http://www.opossumworld.com/

The following Getaway "April Fools" video has some footage of Napier:

http://getaway.ninemsn.com.au/fsnewzealand/northisland/1034815/north-island-highlights

These are some photos from my Napier visit:

Classic Sheepskins

2571893570103130516S425x425Q85.jpg

Napier

2898822860103130516S425x425Q85.jpg

2180403120103130516S425x425Q85.jpg

2279665730103130516S425x425Q85.jpg

2314727980103130516S425x425Q85.jpg

2582678440103130516S425x425Q85.jpg

We were on the Dawn Princess for the Christmas Cruise 2010 and whilst we wre docked in Napier the winds were so strong that two tugs were required to keep pushing the ship against the wharf all day.

Understand that Duck Tours offers land/water tours in Napier. Has anyone done it ? Did you feel it hit all the highlighted spots in town ? What did you think of it ? Would you recommend it as a way to see the city or just a regular narrated tour ? Have done them in Boston and Baltimore and had great times, considering it while in Napier. Feedback appreciated.

Have been to Napier twice on cruises, first cruise we did Fiordlands first and were in Napier all day, second cruise we did bay of Island first and arrived in Napier at 12.00 noon - 7 pm as someone said must have something to do with the distance. Robin

Archived