Cruises to Cuba?

Whether or not you want to visit Cuba is one thing but the decision about whether you CAN visiti Cuba should be yours.

Cuba does have some oil. If they discover commercial amounts that can be exported Cuba will become a new best friend ove night.-Castro or no Castro.

As the OP said it is all about money and domestic politics. Democracy has absolutely nothing to do with it.

"You can ask all the Cuban exiles in Miami and Union City New Jersey who had all of their businesses and homes confiscated by the government

without compensation how they feel about this. This does not include the major U.S. corporations like United Fruit Company that had vast land holdings grabbed by the government without compensation. Plus all of the harsh treatment and suffering of political opponents of the regime over the years."

At the beginning of 1959 United States companies owned about 40 percent of the Cuban sugar lands – almost all the cattle ranches – 90 percent of the mines and mineral concessions – 80 percent of the utilities – practically all the oil industry – and supplied two-thirds of Cuba's imports. U.S. President John F. Kennedy,1960 [56]

P.S. I guess you aren't counting those bombs the US dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki when you say "the closest the world has ever come to nuclear war"?

To digress from the thread: last time I checked the History books only the U.S. had the bomb in August 1945. In fact we only had 2 and they were both used to avoid the slaughter of hundreds of thousands and casualties of a million or more in the invasion of the Japanese homeland.

Japan could have avoided the second bomb but continued to fight on.

Nuclear war assumes that both opponents have nuclear capability. This was not the case in 1945.

On topic: Let Cuba make the first move and then the U.S. can reciprocate in step with them IMHO. In the meanwhile I will continue to abide by the law of the land. There are lots of laws we may disagree with, but it does not give us the right in a governemnt of law not to obey them.

Won't be going to Cuba soon. And fail to see the appeal of going to Viet Nam where 57.000 Americans died for a cause uncertain.

I personally have no desire to go on a cruise to Cuba but if I was on a ship that happened to stop there I might get off just to see the place. I really have no use for the Castro Regieme.

Did the resorts have soap?

I understand soap is severely rationed to the general public.

While the resorts and beaches are supposed to be lovely, I am concerned for the rest of the country.

Do I want to visit? You bet!

<snip>

On topic: Let Cuba make the first move and then the U.S. can reciprocate in step with them IMHO. In the meanwhile I will continue to abide by the law of the land. There are lots of laws we may disagree with, but it does not give us the right in a governemnt of law not to obey them.

Won't be going to Cuba soon. And fail to see the appeal of going to Viet Nam where 57.000 Americans died for a cause uncertain.

I agree and unless I travel to Cuba on a government approved group trip, I'll not go But I sure do want to cruise there sometime in my life while I'm strong enough to enjoy it.

As to Viet Nam...... there are some VietNam vets who appreciate they are legally permitted to travel there, if they wish. Most were denied anything upon their return home so at least they can go there to try and 'clear the ghosts', if they think it will help them.

DH has suggested from time to time he might like to return for a visit. I doubt we ever will but I like he can if he wishes. Most Viet Nam vets and their families may feel differently about a visit there than someone who never personally experienced what they did.

I agree and unless I travel to Cuba on a government approved group trip, I'll not go But I sure do want to cruise there sometime in my life while I'm strong enough to enjoy it.

As to Viet Nam...... there are some VietNam vets who appreciate they are legally permitted to travel there, if they wish. Most were denied anything upon their return home so at least they can go there to try and 'clear the ghosts', if they think it will help them.

DH has suggested from time to time he might like to return for a visit. I doubt we ever will but I like he can if he wishes. Most Viet Nam vets and their families may feel differently about a visit there than someone who never personally experienced what they did.

i'm not a vet, but americans in vietnam are welcomed with open arms. i think he'd find it a much different experience now.

Did the resorts have soap?

I understand soap is severely rationed to the general public.

While the resorts and beaches are supposed to be lovely, I am concerned for the rest of the country.

Do I want to visit? You bet!

You gave me a good laugh. Can you imagine a Sandals Resort without soap? Not only do they have soap, they also have toilet paper, shampoo, running water and televisions with CNN. If the resorts were not every bit as nice as the ones elsewhere in the Caribbean, people would not flock there.:)

The contributions to this thread have been wonderful.

There was a time when there would have been considerable and vociferous opposition to the very notion of (even partially) restoring contact with Cuba. The very opposite is evident here.

Perhaps this is an example of where people are more forward thinking than their elected leaders, and those leaders are just now following in step.

Direct personal contact – in other words people – are the best bridges to other cultures and ideologies.

I hope cruises start soon. I also hope all those who expressed an interest in such cruises get to be on the first “Dam” ship to go there.

I hope DW and I are there with you.

Smooth sailing…

The contributions to this thread have been wonderful.

There was a time when there would have been considerable and vociferous opposition to the very notion of (even partially) restoring contact with Cuba. The very opposite is evident here.

Perhaps this is an example of where people are more forward thinking than their elected leaders, and those leaders are just now following in step.

Direct personal contact – in other words people – are the best bridges to other cultures and ideologies.

I hope cruises start soon. I also hope all those who expressed an interest in such cruises get to be on the first “Dam” ship to go there.

I hope DW and I are there with you.

Smooth sailing…

It might be a different story if Americans weren't the only ones banned from traveling to Cuba. It's hard to portray the island today as a dangerous barbaric malarial Communist regime whose inhabitants all want to kill Americans on sight, when hordes of tourists from every other nation on the planet, including all of America's friends and allies, are drinking mojitos at Sandals et al.

is of much importance today. So let's drop the atom bomb business and try to understand how we can enjoy another port. No one forces anyone to travel to Russia, China or Viet Nam so if someone chooses to go, it's their decision. We are the only country still blocking tourisn to Cuba and I hope that we will end this farce soon. Once we start traveling there, the cigar prices will come down significantly and we can enjoy a Cohiba for under $25 .

...Once we start traveling there, the cigar prices will come down significantly and we can enjoy a Cohiba for under $25 .

The most compelling argument I have seen thus far. :D

But will you be able to smoke one on board?

Smooth sailing...

You gave me a good laugh. Can you imagine a Sandals Resort without soap? Not only do they have soap, they also have toilet paper, shampoo, running water and televisions with CNN. If the resorts were not every bit as nice as the ones elsewhere in the Caribbean, people would not flock there.:)

Just saying that soap is rationed to the residents there - half a bar per family per month is what I heard most recently. I don't understand why soap - something need for healthy living - would be rationed if there is no real shortage. If anyone can explain that, I'd like to hear the rationale.

Just saying that soap is rationed to the residents there - half a bar per family per month is what I heard most recently. I don't understand why soap - something need for healthy living - would be rationed if there is no real shortage. If anyone can explain that, I'd like to hear the rationale.

Cuba is one of the cleanest places you will ever visit. It may be shabby but it is extremely clean---as are the people. As you walk down the street everyone is neat and well turned out. If they can accomplish that without soap, more power to them. Dental care is obviously very good there as well. You just have to look around you at the nice smiles.

is of much importance today. So let's drop the atom bomb business and try to understand how we can enjoy another port. No one forces anyone to travel to Russia, China or Viet Nam so if someone chooses to go, it's their decision. We are the only country still blocking tourisn to Cuba and I hope that we will end this farce soon. Once we start traveling there, the cigar prices will come down significantly and we can enjoy a Cohiba for under $25 .

Don't count on cheap cigars. You can buy fake ones made of banana leaves on the beach quite cheaply and illegally. The real meal deals are very expensive. I promised a friend I would bring him one as a treat and I paid an equivalent of $25.00 Canadian for one cigar at the government store at Casa Moro. That was for a cheap one. I told my friend at that price he was only getting one.:)

Since you go through customs inspection when you leave the country as well as entering, if you are found to have the fake cigars with you they will be confiscated. They must have the government seal on them.

Apparently is has been provided free for 50 years because of the embargo and now they feel that people can afford it.

Because Cuba has been "off limits" for so many years I can't say I know a great deal about the country other than the political history of the last 50 or so years and the early history from the days of Columbus, etc. I think it could be interesting and would just have to wait and see what kind of things there are to do and see. If the country was opened up it might be that even then we personally might not be able to go there because of other restrictions. There are countries that a US citizen is allowed to visit but Mrs. K is not because of restrictions placed on her because of her position with the government. It's not that she's in some kind of high security position, it's just a general prohibition on people with certain security clearances. For instance, even though travel to Egypt is permitted there have been periods, especially recently, when we couldn't visit. Can't say that's the way it is today, it seems to change on a daily basis, but a few weeks ago it was on the no visit list for her and that was a deciding factor when we decided on the Silversea Wind itinerary over the HAL Prinsendam itinerary for the Med.

... Can't say that's the way it is today, it seems to change on a daily basis, ....

Oh, my. that would make it pretty much impossible to plan a cruise to certain areas. What's all right for your wife to visit today might be prohibited when the ship actually sails!

The thing is, too, that you never really know where trouble will arise. So, there's always going to be a little "what if..." in your plans.

How long after she retires will your wife be under those restrictions?

Randy,

Does your DW have to do a daily check to see if there is a 'no visit' order by State Department? When traveling in areas that potentially could suddenly post 'no visit', what routine do you follow to assure she complies?

I find this interesting, for some odd reason. :rolleyes:

Oh, my. that would make it pretty much impossible to plan a cruise to certain areas. What's all right for your wife to visit today might be prohibited when the ship actually sails!

The thing is, too, that you never really know where trouble will arise. So, there's always going to be a little "what if..." in your plans.

How long after she retires will your wife be under those restrictions?

It does make cruise planning, particularly outside of say the Caribbean or Alaska, kind of an interesting proposition. We don't see any immediate problems with our booked Med cruise as it stays away from North Africa but then again there's a lot of instability in the general region so we'll just have to watch. There'll won't be a restriction after she retires but she doesn't retire for almost 10 years.

Randy,

Does your DW have to do a daily check to see if there is a 'no visit' order by State Department? When traveling in areas that potentially could suddenly post 'no visit', what routine do you follow to assure she complies?

I find this interesting, for some odd reason. :rolleyes:

Before we booked the Med cruise we checked the countries we'd be visiting and there were no restrictions. Closer to the cruise Mrs. K will send in a form....the government has forms for everything....saying she's going to visit a list of countries and schedule a security briefing about a week out from our travel. Generally security treats cruising a bit differently than regular travel since you're not spending an extended period of time in a country and particularly because you're not staying overnight in most cases. She'll be given a sheet of paper with points of contact, usually the Embassy or Consulate, in each country with a phone number in case she needs assistance or there's a problem. While it's never happened we've been told that if a country developed a problem while we were actually on a cruise then they'd recommend, maybe even require, that we not leave the ship in that port. Travel restrictions for her are sometimes above and beyond State Department restrictions or advice to the general public so we can't just go by their list or notices.

Archived