Tired of waiting on Carnival's fall 2012 itineraries, thinking of trying Royal...

My younger kids liked Camp Carnival almost as well as the Adventure Ocean program, but the teen program (12-14, 15-17) is where we noticed a difference. On the Carnival ship we went on (Freedom) there wasn't a designated teen room so they were always hopping around from one adult club to the next as to where they would be meeting each night. This made it seem very unorganized and usually they didn't do anything except sit around and talk. On Royal, they have designated teen rooms/clubs so the teens can go there and hang out at anytime, even when there isn't an actual event going on. My kids really liked that part.

There is late night party in the kids clubs every night that is an extra charge, just like on Carnival. They really do well in this area because my kids would literally be in tears every night if they couldn't stay for the late night activities. If I remember correctly, it's available until 2am. The teen activities last late as well, but there is not charge for it.

Transportation: rent a car or take a shuttle/hire a driver. You'll find a ton of info on the Florida departures board.

Shark: I try not to think of him too often!

Kids Club/babysitting: since Freedom's drydock in March, there is now a nursery for babies 6 months to 3 years old for a small fee ($6/hr, I think). The kids club is free for kids 3 and up, but they charge a small fee after 10pm. Most kids love the clubs at least part of the time. :)

There are many public spaces... The Promenade is the heart of the ship - great to take a stroll and people watch. Lots of bars with different atmospheres from laid back and relaxed to stay up late and party. There are several free places to eat too from pizza to sandwiches to sit down to buffet. The entertainment venues have their own personality too. There's just so much to see and do!

How about deposit on a 7 day? Carnival it's $250.

Same as Carnival. We are doing the same thing. We are sailing on the Mariner in January. We love Carnival but are taking the family on a cruise and found a great price.

What kinds of things do you need to book ahead of time as far as onboard "experiences"? And are the TV's interactive, where they show the dinner menu and you can check your onboard account daily as well. Also curious of Royal has a luggage program similar to Carnival's "Luggage Express" (where you pay $20 per person and Carnival prints out your boarding passes and you put out your luggage the night before and they foward it on to the airport and check it through, making it easier to just get off the ship and grab a cab to the airport).

What kinds of things do you need to book ahead of time as far as onboard "experiences"? And are the TV's interactive, where they show the dinner menu and you can check your onboard account daily as well. Also curious of Royal has a luggage program similar to Carnival's "Luggage Express" (where you pay $20 per person and Carnival prints out your boarding passes and you put out your luggage the night before and they foward it on to the airport and check it through, making it easier to just get off the ship and grab a cab to the airport).

You can book specialty dining or excursions on line prior to your cruise. Only on the Oasis class ships is it suggested to pre book your entertainment.

In cabin TV's are interactive. You can check your balance, order room service, book excursions, etc.

RCI does offer luggage valet service. Those booked in a GS or higher recieve this as a suite perk. It's not offered from all ports but PC is one where it's offered.

You can book specialty dining or excursions on line prior to your cruise. Only on the Oasis class ships is it suggested to pre book your entertainment.

In cabin TV's are interactive. You can check your balance, order room service, book excursions, etc.

RCI does offer luggage valet service. Those booked in a GS or higher recieve this as a suite perk. It's not offered from all ports but PC is one where it's offered.

Thanks! Does anyone know how much the luggage program costs?

Also curious as to what kinds of "sales" Royal does. I know on Carnival, any "sales", especially those involving OBC, you can count on their raising the rates so that you really don't come out ahead at all. Does Royal ever do military vets "Friends and Family" promotions, where veterans can book an additional cabin or two along with their own?

Thanks again, everyone. You've all been really helpful. :)

Are there such things as connecting PR cabins? We normally get 2 connecting OV's, there will be 4 of us.

We've also done the connecting PR cabins in the past on the Liberty of the Seas. The cabins were fantastic! Our next cruise had regular inside cabins and we all missed the windows overlooking the Royal Promenade.

On the Oasis-class ships (Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas), however, there are only a few connecting PR cabins, and they connect to L (inside - no window overlooking the Promenade) cabins. It's a strange setup. Nonetheless, that's what we've reserved for our next cruise. We, the parents, get the PR cabin and the kids get the L. :)

Also curious as to what kinds of "sales" Royal does. I know on Carnival, any "sales", especially those involving OBC, you can count on their raising the rates so that you really don't come out ahead at all. Does Royal ever do military vets "Friends and Family" promotions, where veterans can book an additional cabin or two along with their own?

Thanks again, everyone. You've all been really helpful. :)

Royal just had their WOW sale (1/2 price deposit plus OBC), but maybe they'll do one later in the year? Otherwise, you'll be waiting until next May. As nice as the OBC is, you can find a TA who can offer you OBC to make up for it, if this is important to you.

They do offer residency, military, police/paramedic/fire and senior discounts, but only for the cabin with that person in it.

Royal doesn't really raise their rates for their sales, and, if they do, you can always get it reduced when you find a price drop. :)

Can someone tell me how much of a hold per adult (I'm assuming I can just deny my kids' charging privileges, like on Carnval?) Royal puts on one's credit card for a 7 day sailing? Thanks.

Not sure about the hold... I've never seen one on my card, but perhaps they do? We don't allow our kids to charge... I'm too worried about them losing their cards! I believe you can restrict the daily amount though... I'm hoping this is true because I would like to give my oldest DD charging privileges next year.

Can anyone point me in the direction of good connecting PR locations? Major priority that nothing noisy is above or below, second priority being location convenience. Thanks!

We had 8257, 8259, 8261, and 8263 - loved the location! It was near the forward elevators, but we were able to see the parades without an issue. If you like to people watch, then you may like these same cabins on the port side so you can see into Sorrento's Pizza (our view was of a store front - not too exciting, but we really only "people watched" during the parades and street parties so it wasn't a big deal).

Another room to consider is the Ben and Jerry's Sweet. This will get you a voucher for one ice cream per person per day for free at Ben & Jerry's PLUS concierge access. This is a connecting room, and the view is obstucted by cow arses. ;) You can see what I mean if you do a You Tube search. We have this cabin booked for my sister for our Liberty cruise next fall.

BE WARNED: connecting cabins are not soundproofed! For me, I would only book one if I either knew the person next door or if that was the last cabin on the ship. Just my experience, but others feel differently (and some won't book them at all).

If you want the best views, then book more central on the PR. Do not book the PR rooms closest to the aft elevators. They are convenient to the stairs/elevators, but you won't see the parades.

The windows on the 8th deck PR cabins are tilted out for a better view. We thought the view was fine, but book deck 6 or 7 if you want a closer look. Avoid the cabins above the pub - I've read that some people find these noisy.

Archived