Carnival sued over St. Thomas death

Nezmo

Seriously? I mean, I understand that it's very tragic and heartbreaking but how is it Carnival's fault? If this logic was followed if you flew into say NYC on a vacation and got killed you could sue the airline. I certainly hope that this doesn't go anywhere. If Carnival forced people off the ship I could see it having a tiny bit of a case but anyone is free to stay on the ship if they determine they don't feel safe.

-Megan

Whatever sympathy I have for the victim's family just went out the window.

I know it is tragic to lose a family member, but do you really have to indignifiy the girl's memory by turning it into a gold digging operation?

And the very sad reality is that even though Carnival should bare no responsibility for this tragic accident, they will probably offer an out of court settlement just to avoid the hassle of drawn out litigation.....

Our courts shouldn't even let these kinds of lawsuits be filed.

I think this depends on whether this was a cruise line excursion, then yes they assume some responsibility. If it were a private excursion organized by the family then no there is no liability on the part of Carnival.

I think this depends on whether this was a cruise line excursion, then yes they assume some responsibility. If it were a private excursion organized by the family then no there is no liability on the part of Carnival.

I don't remember this being a Carnival excursion... does anyone recall if it was?

I don't remember this being a Carnival excursion... does anyone recall if it was?

I thought it was but I could be wrong

I think calling these folks names is a bit unfair - they lost a daughter who had many years of life remaining.......

Carnival will not pay, the insurance company will pay - Carnival has liability insurance for just these things

I believe I remember reading it was a private excursion this family was on.

Although I feel for this loss the family is going through, in no way do I think this is the cruise lines fault. As a pp said it could have happened anywhere.

I think the original thread indicated that the family had just gotten off the ship and taken one of the safari buses going to Coki beach....I was thinking it actually occurred on the way back to the ship....

St. Thomas has certainly gotten rougher over the years, but I still feel safer walking around there than I do say in MoBay or Belize or even Nassau......when I was in Nassau in February, our private tour guide was telling us how much crime had increased since the earthquack in Haiti.....

He said that they had done a fly over of the island and found 38 encampments in the hills that were inhabited by Haitian refugies. They were starting to take steps to clear them out......

I thought it was but I could be wrong

I think calling these folks names is a bit unfair - they lost a daughter who had many years of life remaining.......

Carnival will not pay, the insurance company will pay - Carnival has liability insurance for just these things

I 100% agree with you. They lost their daughter and yes Carnival is to a certain extent responsible because they were on an excursion through the cruise line if I remember correctly. And yes they will have their insurance company pay for this.

Nothing against the cruise line, but this family lost a child and they do need to be compensated by the cruise line and the killer. Remember they had to pay for burial of their CHILD never mind the grief they suffer daily.

I 100% agree with you. They lost their daughter and yes Carnival is to a certain extent responsible because they were on an excursion through the cruise line if I remember correctly. And yes they will have their insurance company pay for this.

Nothing against the cruise line, but this family lost a child and they do need to be compensated by the cruise line and the killer. Remember they had to pay for burial of their CHILD never mind the grief they suffer daily.

Yeah, I know that if my child died a bunch of money would make it all better.

I wouldn't be able to spend a dime of it knowing that my windfall came from the death of someone I loved.

Yeah, I know that if my child died a bunch of money would make it all better.

I wouldn't be able to spend a dime of it knowing that my windfall came from the death of someone I loved.

So on top of suffering the loss of a child they should also suffer the cost of an expensive burial??????

Come on now get real!

So on top of suffering the loss of a child they should also suffer the cost of an expensive burial??????

Come on now get real!

Do you really think they are suing only for the 15k or so a funeral costs? Please, that wouldn't be worth the lawyer's time. They are looking for a tidy profit, otherwise they would sue the family of the person who actually killed their child.

Wow!:eek: While I feel for the family, I am not sure what responsibility CCL has in this matter. As others have stated, there is violence everywhere - no one expects to be involved in an incident, but it happens. And if they were on a private excursion, I don't know what responsibility CCL has. I mean, no one forced them to get off the ship in that port - it was their choice. I know many passengers who stay on the ship in Jamaica, etc., as they feel their safety is compromised. If they were that worried, they should have made it a ship day. Wow!

Archived