Downgrade?

So the wife and I booked a Spa Suite with Balcony thinking we could smoke outside. We don't smoke in our house and would never smoke in the room.

So we called to see about switching to a different room or downgrading to a balcony suite. The lady on the phone said sorry you can't downgrade.

Does that seem right? We sail in 32 days. Please don't lecture me on smoking or not :)

Are you asking to get any money back? Are you ES?? I dont know if there is a way to give up your spa suite and go to a regular suite if you are ES, unless you agree to not claim any price matches.

Anyway you can stand to just go out on lido deck and smoke or the other designated places and be happy?

Id hate to give up the spa stuff which is worth about an extra $250 by itself.

If you are determined and not lookign for money back with the downgrade, take it up with a supervisor and go up the line.

Absolutely not...you should call back explain your needs and they should switch you if their is another balcony room available. This close to sailing there may not be one available however.

Good luck.

If you booked Early Saver, then Yes, the rep was correct. You cannot downgrade.

No lecture. I'm also a smoker. Just going to have to adapt to the situation, put on the flip flops and head out to the nearest allowed smoking area just as if you were at a hotel and staying in a non smoking room.

Yes on the Dream and in a Spa Suite cruising on July 2nd.

We are not on ES so shouldn't be a problem.

Looks like I'll have to do like klfrodo said and hit the nearest smoking area :)

I'll call tomorrow and see if I get someone else and explain the situation.

Thanks all.

- Mike

Yes on the Dream and in a Spa Suite cruising on July 2nd.

We are not on ES so shouldn't be a problem.

Looks like I'll have to do like klfrodo said and hit the nearest smoking area :)

I'll call tomorrow and see if I get someone else and explain the situation.

Thanks all.

- Mike

Since you're not under Early Saver, that would help the situation. You cannot get any price reductions at this point anyway, so they shouldn't have a problem with approving a downgrade, especially if you wouldn't be asking for the lower price. It is possible that they are sold out of the lower catgory suites.

Also, I don't know how much extra it would be, but you could always upgrade. A grand suite will be considered an upgrade, which they should approve as long as those aren't sold out. It will most likely cost you more money though.

I booked a balcony room for April 2012 using early saver, I called my pvp and changed it to a OV on main deck. I got a credit to my credit card within 2 weeks. It worked for me, this time.

You were very lucky she either has supervisor powers or got one to change it for you. Its usually a big fight.

A quick update.

I called today to see about switching to a lower suite. Was told that they can't downgrade to another suite since we are past April 19 (the final payment date) and that there are no more suites available in my category.

She said she asked her supervisor, but not sure as I was on hold the entire time. BS if you ask me. Grrrr!

The did offer to up sell me to a Grand Suite. Stinks because we already forked out a ton of $$$ for our 20th anniversary and don't really want to hand over a bunch more money.

They said I could call back every day and see if any travel agent rooms are freed up. That seems to be their static message. "Travel Agents have all the rooms booked"

Any other ideas? :)

I even offered to just do ship board credit or keep back funds for the spa package. They seemed unwilling to assist. Kind of disappointed :(

We have ONLY sailed on Carnival and this will be our 4th cruise.

If (when) you do call Carnival back, ask to speak to a supervisor or manager as you mentioned that you're close to your sail date.

Call back and ask again. Call and ask every day. At this point, all they can do is say NO. Right?

I realize you can't smoke in those cabins. But you can't smoke on the balcony either?

Nope. I am in a Spa Balcony cabin for my Magic cruise in a few days. I just printed out the Fun Pass and there is a seperate space on it that details the non-smoking aspect. There is also a box below that where you have to sign stating that you have read and understand the no smoking policy.

Get some of those nice electronic cigs and keep your room. My parents use them on cruises.

This would be a good idea. There is no smoke, smell, etc. You could use these in the cabin and then smoke regular cigs when you are around the ship. This way you don't have to give up your Spa amenities.

I smoked for 20 years (I quit two years ago) so I understand your problem. Like others have stated, I would call again and again to see if anything changes. I would use the E-cigs as a back up plan.

So the wife and I booked a Spa Suite with Balcony thinking we could smoke outside. We don't smoke in our house and would never smoke in the room.

So we called to see about switching to a different room or downgrading to a balcony suite. The lady on the phone said sorry you can't downgrade.

Does that seem right? We sail in 32 days. Please don't lecture me on smoking or not :)

I think if your a Cruise Critic member you can just call and demand they give you whatever you want.

Without more information it is impossible to answer your question. If you are booked with an ES rate then the information is correct. Any other rate, and it could be considered a cancellation and a rebook and penalties are involved.

Archived