destination mexico

so i am reading all of these articles of recent attacks and killings in mexico. im so excitd about my "dream" cruise to mexico and belize, but frankly this information scares the hell out of me. i dont want to have my head turned on my shoulders the whole time im off of the ship or an excursion, i want to enjoy myself! so my question is, are any of these places the ships dock at being affected by threats or things like that? im getting more concerned about being attacked or something than the weather at this point.. sad.

I think people that post these articles should mention where the problems are .. mostly on the west coast.

belize and roatan are in central america, they are not even in mexico and cozumel is a tourist island (with armed guards everywhere).

My mom is like you and generalizes that ALL of Mexico is under attack... she drives me nuts about it. It would be like saying there was a attack in NY so all of the US is unsafe.

Yes you have to worry, you have to worry every time you leave your house. Do you have to let it ruin your trip....NO. Just use your head. Take a tour that the ship offers. Don't wander off alone. Don't get drunk and stupid onshore (on the ship no problem). Be back to the ship before dark. Stay with a group. Don't flash your cash. Don't wear all your bling. All the standard stuff you would do anywhere. I am assuming the ship goes to Cozumel. No problems there.

okay thanks! i dont get drunk.. often.. lol. and dont plan to in a foreign country! but yes i am a worrier and i try not to indulge myself into these things, but it does make me think about trying to use precautions and have safety plans in mind. thanks! and i didnt even think about belize and roatan being in central america, i was looking at a map and it didnt even cross my mind!

My mom is like you and generalizes that ALL of Mexico is under attack... she drives me nuts about it. It would be like saying there was a attack in NY so all of the US is unsafe.

I spend countless hours attempting to educate folks that all of Mexico should not be punished for the actions occuring in a limited number of cities within Mexico.

Personally, I'd be more afraid of stepping outside the fenced area in Belize.

so i am reading all of these articles of recent attacks and killings in mexico. im so excitd about my "dream" cruise to mexico and belize, but frankly this information scares the hell out of me. i dont want to have my head turned on my shoulders the whole time im off of the ship or an excursion, i want to enjoy myself! so my question is, are any of these places the ships dock at being affected by threats or things like that? im getting more concerned about being attacked or something than the weather at this point.. sad.

I'd have to expect the homicide rate for cruise passengers goes out 6 or 7 decimal points.

There were 435 homicides in Chicago last year with some crazy number like 36 of those being Chicago pubic school students.

Some cruise port in Mexico is way down on the bottom of my worry list.

I think people that post these articles should mention where the problems are .. mostly on the west coast.

belize and roatan are in central america, they are not even in mexico and cozumel is a tourist island (with armed guards everywhere).

Sadly many people do..........I'm beginning to think many flunked geography class.....

Archived