Noise level in Marina MDR

dwelsh

Welcome back girl! :D

How long have you been home? Are you exhausted or exhilarated at this point?

Knowing you and Gerry, I'll bet that you made the most of it.

Btw, you never answered the question that I posed earlier -did you like the "white sheet" paintings in the dining room?

We got home Saturday night, having spent four days in Stockholm after disembarkation. Still jetlagged but still exhilarated. We had dinner last Wednesday evening with our first Swedish Au Pair, our first meeting in the 22 years since she left Cinti!

I liked the unique artwork everywhere on Marina; although the Martini's paintings were poorly lit, I liked those artist's the best (other than my favorite Miros). And I love all blown glass, so I enjoyed seeing it used so much all over the ship. The public areas were outstandingly beautiful. Thanks for the eating tips: we had my birthday meal in Jacques, and it was my best meal on board a ship (and close to rivaling my NYC dining days) in my life! (Also, took your calamari and duck and watermelon salad tips for Red Ginger, both very memorable as well.)

CintiPam and yorkiemomjn,

Have a great cruise! I know you will love Marina.

Don't forget to post about your impressions and comparisons with the R ships.

I think Pam said it well in her post------Fabulous! We loved the Marina so much we booked the maiden voyage of the Riviera! :D

The Regatta, Pearls of the Riviera in 2010, was our first 'O' cruise. We didn't expect to enjoy the Marina as much due to her size, however, we were wrong.

The things we enjoyed most about the Marina were:

the two extra restaurants, the culinary classes, Barista's, the wine pairing and the improved entertainment.

We are looking forward to April 2012 on the Riviera!

I think Pam said it well in her post------Fabulous! We loved the Marina so much we booked the maiden voyage of the Riviera! :D

The Regatta, Pearls of the Riviera in 2010, was our first 'O' cruise. We didn't expect to enjoy the Marina as much due to her size, however, we were wrong.

The things we enjoyed most about the Marina were:

the two extra restaurants, the culinary classes, Barista's, the wine pairing and the improved entertainment.

We are looking forward to April 2012 on the Riviera!

I'm so excited that you are sailing with Stan and I on the Riviera next April that I am going to be very mature and excise any hint of "I told you so" from this post, but, we did think that you would love the new ship.

;)

In our opinion the Marina just doesn't "feel" her size, yet those additional amenities are particularly nice to have. The new restaurants are absolutely world class.

In some ways, we think of the Marina class as "Super R ships" because the layout and decor are so similar.

Enough about your last cruise, lets discuss your exciting new plans.

I see you have already joined our very jolly Riviera Roll Call. Well done!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1379706&page=6

We can chat in more depth over there.

Now, if we could only tempt Cintipam and Gerry into joining us as Riviera Maidens......((sigh))

In a word: fabulous!:D

Welcome back CintiPam and yorkiemomjn,

I am glad you had a wonderful time on the Marina - I knew you would; she is a beauty.

While I am still in the R ship camp, I won't hold it against you if you are now in the Marina camp; I won't even call you traitors :D

My ideal Oceania ship would be an R ship with 4 specialty restaurants and the Terrace Cafe menu would be that of Marina! I can dream - can't I?

In fact, I even has the solution - just divide the MDR into two and create a Red Ginger & Jacques. :)

On the Marina we manage very well splitting our time between the 4 restaurants and the Terrace Cafe - never missed the MDR!

CintiPam - looking forward to your review.

BTW, where did you stay in Stockholm/Copenhagen and how did it work out?

In our opinion the Marina just doesn't "feel" her size, yet those additional amenities are particularly nice to have. The new restaurants are absolutely world class....

Now, if we could only tempt Cintipam and Gerry into joining us as Riviera Maidens......((sigh))

I agree with you 100%, Jim. It simply never felt like 500 more people anywhere on the ship, a true accomplishment. Did I already say that my birthday dinner in Jacques was the best meal I ever have eaten on board a ship (in terms of food and service combined), and rivals many meals eaten when I lived in Manhattan?

I would go on the Riviera in a minute! Blame Gerry, who wants to visit new places, probably Krakow, Budapest, Prague and Berlin, next year.

Hey, Oceania, how about a nice river itinerary!;)

While I am still in the R ship camp, I won't hold it against you if you are now in the Marina camp; I won't even call you traitors :D...

CintiPam - looking forward to your review....

Paulchili, I did not yet vote in your poll, because I felt I needed some distance before I committed irrevocably, yet I do have to say that cruising on the Marina is a fabulous experience (setting aside the cabin design issues already discussed on the boards to a fair-thee-well:)). The public spaces are gorgeous, the artwork interesting, the two new restaurants excellent, the upgrades to Waves and the Terrace Cafe very nice and well-appreciated by, a vast improvement in the entertainment, etc.

I better start writing my review over the holiday weekend while I still can remember the experience, now that my "significant" birthday has come and gone while onboard!:D

Paul, I owe my excellent hotel experiences in both Copenhagen (two nights) and Stockholm (four nights) to you, I believe. Terry (from the Baltics board, he of the fabulous photos) recommended The Square in Copenhagen, and I think you may have as well. Super location, great design in the rooms, particularly the bathroom, an email the week before we left got me the quiet room on a high floor on the side street I wanted, with an upgrade even on check-in, room available in the AM after our overnight flight, fantastic huge breakfast on the top floor, excellent soundproofing and a/c. Only downside: mattresses way too soft.

For sure, it was your advice that took me to the Sheraton in Stockholm. Thank you, thank you. Excellent in all ways: again an email gave us a quiet room on an upper floor, huge in size, particularly for Europe, fabulous comfortable beds, great quiet a/c, clean lovely wood floors, very helpful concierge staff, excellent location for sightseeing (near City Hall and Gamla Stan) and right by a bus stop for several lines.

Between Marina and the Sheraton, I now require a rainhead shower; my showerhead at home seems so dinky now! And six computers with free internet in the lobby; 10 minutes to the Arlanda Express, which we used on departure Saturday. Only negative: the "discount" rate of $56 for breakfast for two, which we declined and, therefore, ate in coffee shops/cafes every morning. This is the first time ever in our myriad European travels that we have had to go out for breakfast. Ah, well, post-cruise I needed to cut back!:)

CintiPam,

I am glad the hotels worked out well for you. Both, The Square and Sheraton, are very central and that to me is the first and one of the most important criteria in choosing hotels.

I too am trying to figure out if I can somehow manage to convert to a rain shower at home :)

Welcome back CintiPam and yorkiemomjn,

I am glad you had a wonderful time on the Marina - I knew you would; she is a beauty.

While I am still in the R ship camp, I won't hold it against you if you are now in the Marina camp; I won't even call you traitors :D

My ideal Oceania ship would be an R ship with 4 specialty restaurants and the Terrace Cafe menu would be that of Marina! I can dream - can't I?

In fact, I even has the solution - just divide the MDR into two and create a Red Ginger & Jacques. :)

On the Marina we manage very well splitting our time between the 4 restaurants and the Terrace Cafe - never missed the MDR!

CintiPam - looking forward to your review.

I feel like Pam, I need to wait a while before I vote. I think it might be easier to compare if my first experience with 'O' had been on the Marina, instead of the other way around. I enjoyed the cozy feeling of the smaller ship so much. I think I just love them both!:D

I really like your idea of splitting the MDR on the smaller ships!!! We really like the Terrace, too!

We also stayed at the Sheraton in Stockholm (loved it). We stayed at the Imperial in Copenhagen. We liked it a lot. It was a wonderful location, not too far away from everything, but far enough away from all the congestion. The Delta airline crew members stayed there also.

As far as beds are concerned, we are so spoiled by our Tempur-Pedic mattress at home, it is difficult for any hotel to compete. Oceania comes very close though. :D

Judy

CintiPam,

I am glad the hotels worked out well for you. Both, The Square and Sheraton, are very central and that to me is the first and one of the most important criteria in choosing hotels.

I too am trying to figure out if I can somehow manage to convert to a rain shower at home :)

Though rainshower heads are traditionally mounted in the ceiling, they can replace regular shower heads that are wall mounted. But it make them effective, one must remove the ring that limits water flow.

Though rainshower heads are traditionally mounted in the ceiling, they can replace regular shower heads that are wall mounted. But it make them effective, one must remove the ring that limits water flow.

Thanks - will look into that.

I would go on the Riviera in a minute! Blame Gerry, who wants to visit new places, probably Krakow, Budapest, Prague and Berlin, next year.

Hey, Oceania, how about a nice river itinerary!;)

I wish you guys would come! Tell Gerry I said there is only one maiden voyage for the Riviera and you can always go on the river cruise later.............We had actually planned a land trip to London & Paris, but after the Marina, we just couldn't resist! We have a river cruise on our bucket list, too.

I feel like Pam, I need to wait a while before I vote. I think it might be easier to compare if my first experience with 'O' had been on the Marina, instead of the other way around. I enjoyed the cozy feeling of the smaller ship so much. I think I just love them both!:D

Judy

Well, that's one of the options when you vote - no preference :)

They will warm a cognac for you at any hour of the day or night that you prefer to drink one. In the Grand Dining Room, in all of the specialty restaurants and any of the bars (although I must confess to never having ordered a cognac at the pool bar).

Many of the passengers rush off to catch the evening entertainments, so those of us who linger over a liquor are treated like royalty. ;)

Hint: tip your Sommelier early and generously........you will reap fabulous rewards.

Hi JimandStan (not sure which of you I am talking to...). We will be on the maiden also. As we have not been on a cruise where tipping is customary, could you please expand on your hint above? Thanks!

Hi JimandStan (not sure which of you I am talking to...). We will be on the maiden also. As we have not been on a cruise where tipping is customary, could you please expand on your hint above? Thanks!

Stan is a workaholic with a high pressure job, but Jim makes lemon-aid out of lemons by planning lots of vacations while Stan isn't at home.

Before you take any tipping advice from us, you should know that we are the type of people who always tip, even when the cruise line has a no tipping policy.

Typically, if we don't already know the sommelier, we will give him 10% of the price of the wine or $25 (whichever is greater) on our first or second visit to the restaurant.

Because almost everyone either lets the auto-tip take care of the sommelier, or, tip on the last day, this usually results in our having a new best friend for the remainder of the voyage.

Archived