Position of beds

This may sound like a very silly question, but...

Do all beds face the way the ship is travelling or, as I imagine it would be, do alternate cabins face opposite ways?

I have never been on a cruise, but we've just booked a Southern Caribbean/partial Panama Canal cruise and hurriedly picked a cabin in the TA's whilst she was on the phone to the supplier (HAL does not as yet have an Australian office, so to speak).

As one who does suffer from travel sickness, I want to minimise the chances of this happening, and I cannot travel backwards without feeling ill. I know this may not be a problem on a large ship, but don't want to tempt fate.

So if there are "backward-facing beds", how would you find out the particular cabins?

Cheers DL

It's not a silly question at all and yes, the alternate cabins face opposite ways. I have been in cabins in both directions and not had a problem, but since I suffer from positional vertigo I now get a cabin with bed facing forward. I hope I can describe this correctly"

Find your cabin on the deck plan for your ship. You can see the entry door opening for each cabin on the diagram. If the door opening is at the bottom of your cabin diagram, the bed will be on the top wall (on the left when you are standing in the cabin) and you will be facing backwards. If the door opening is on the top of the cabin drawing, the bed will be on the lower wall (on your right when you are standing in the cabin) and facing forward. In other words you will want a cabin where the door opening on the diagram is on the lower part of cabin deck diagram and you will be facing forward when you are in bed. Hope this makes sense. If not, ask me again or give me your cabin number and I'll check for you.

What ship and room number? The smaller ships oceanview rooms usually have the head of the bed under the window and if you have an inside room maybe Ruth can tell you. Usually the head of bed is on the same side as bathroom.

This may sound like a very silly question, but...

Do all beds face the way the ship is travelling or, as I imagine it would be, do alternate cabins face opposite ways?

I have never been on a cruise, but we've just booked a Southern Caribbean/partial Panama Canal cruise and hurriedly picked a cabin in the TA's whilst she was on the phone to the supplier (HAL does not as yet have an Australian office, so to speak).

As one who does suffer from travel sickness, I want to minimise the chances of this happening, and I cannot travel backwards without feeling ill. I know this may not be a problem on a large ship, but don't want to tempt fate.

So if there are "backward-facing beds", how would you find out the particular cabins?

Cheers DL

No they do not all face the same directions. On our 1st cruise on Oosterdam deck May 2008, VF 5054 headboards faced aft, same on 2nd cruise on Westerdam Deck 7 SA 7076 in May 2009. Then on Westerdam February 2010 we had Deck 8 VA 8104 and headboards faced aft. Nieuw Amsterdam November 2010 SC 6164 faced Starboard and on Oosterdam April 2011 Deck 6 SC 6177 we faced Port.

Joanie

We always get a port side cabin with the bed to the left as you enter the cabin. That way we're sleeping with our heads aft, feet forward. Seems to work for us but I'm really not sure it's anything more than habit but I think I recall some article or something years and years ago about sleeping this way was better for people who have motion issues though neither of us do.

Most of the staterooms I've been in on an assortment of ships, and everything from basic to suite, the beds are perpendicular to the direction of travel. The only one I've been able to come up with that was parallel, our heads were at the bow end, feet toward the stern (obviously!). The cabin floor plans will be helpful to you in figuring out the design.

I just wanted to empathize with the OP as this question always bothers me too when booking! I wish I could know where the bed was before booking too. I booked a cruise last night and don't know which wall the bed is on, but I figure if it's wrong I could always sleep with my head at the bottom, though on celebrity with their rounded off bed bottoms, might not be as good lol. Here's hoping for beds in the right place for all of us!

Wow, thank you for so many prompt replies. I'm just about to go to bed and wanted to know before my husband rings our TA tomorrow (I'll be at work, he's retired).

The ship is the Zuiderdam and the cabin number is VE5084. I just noticed it's actually an interconnecting cabin. Will this be a problem? I've been in hotel rooms with this, and beyond the occasional noise where you think there's an intruder in your room, hasn't really been a problem.

Peaches, I get what you're saying, but would the left/right thing depend on which side of the ship you're on? I have problems with 3 dimensional thinking so hopefully the cabin number will be enough for someone to help. I think maybe the bed does face the right way.

VE5084 is a port side cabin with the bed on the left as you enter the cabin. That would put your head aft, feet facing forward which, if I understood your question and concern correctly, would be the way you'd want to sleep.

Zuiderdam 5084 is on the port side (left side, facing forward) on the ship. This is a veranda cabin, and it appears from the drawing that when laying on the bed, you will be facing toward the front of the ship.

sweet dreams!!

VE5084- You'll be facing forward, bed on left. :) This little trick of looking where the door is on the deck diagram works no matter which side of the ship you are on.

Any way to figure it out when your deck plan has no doors marked? My new sailing the deck plan doesn't seem to (Celeb Equinox 7241). I have to look for photos and see if i come up with any online :-)

Any way to figure it out when your deck plan has no doors marked? My new sailing the deck plan doesn't seem to (Celeb Equinox 7241). I have to look for photos and see if i come up with any online :-)

Sorry, don't have a clue. Even if you find photos of your category the staterooms may alternate. You wouldn't know what your stateroom was like unless you found a picture of 7241.

Celebrity deck plans don't seem to show the door position so that's going to be an issue. Only cruised on Celebrity once so I've really never paid that much attention.

What ship and room number? The smaller ships oceanview rooms usually have the head of the bed under the window and if you have an inside room maybe Ruth can tell you.

I know the OP got the information she was seeking, but Carol's point needs to be noted.

The position of the bed is very dependent on the class of ship and category of cabin. The "opposite the door" rule is not true for some ships/categories. In some instances it is expected that the bed runs side to side.

I feel like I could never sleep on a bed that was perpendicular to our line of travel. I actually ruled out some cruise lines when I saw their beds were under the window. I just feel like my body would freak out laying that way when we were moving the other way.

On my next cruise I'll have to lay on the bed while moving and see what it's like. Never really thought to try it on my last 2. :D

It's not a silly question at all and yes, the alternate cabins face opposite ways. I have been in cabins in both directions and not had a problem, but since I suffer from positional vertigo I now get a cabin with bed facing forward. I hope I can describe this correctly"

Find your cabin on the deck plan for your ship. You can see the entry door opening for each cabin on the diagram. If the door opening is at the bottom of your cabin diagram, the bed will be on the top wall (on the left when you are standing in the cabin) and you will be facing backwards. If the door opening is on the top of the cabin drawing, the bed will be on the lower wall (on your right when you are standing in the cabin) and facing forward. In other words you will want a cabin where the door opening on the diagram is on the lower part of cabin deck diagram and you will be facing forward when you are in bed. Hope this makes sense. If not, ask me again or give me your cabin number and I'll check for you.

I suffer from this as well and did not think of checking out the bed location ,thanks .

I feel like I could never sleep on a bed that was perpendicular to our line of travel.

On my next cruise I'll have to lay on the bed while moving and see what it's like. Never really thought to try it on my last 2. :D

We think the head-to-toe motion from rolling is more comfortable than the side-to-side rolling, especially if the seas are high.

I understand your concern, particularly because I suffer from seasickness as well. If you find that you have a lot of side to side motion going on, just change your orientation on the bed so that your body is going up and down with the ship instead of against it. The beds are put together so that you have a king size (or almost), and you can sleep comfortably in any direction you choose. Besides, nobody but you know that you've changed the direction of your pillows and blankets! Enjoy your cruise!

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Alright, now you're really going to think I'm mad. Sometimes at home, when I toss and turn and just can't get to sleep, I sleep at the other end of the bed (summer time when covers are not needed). But since I got kicked in the face once by my better half, that's not a safe option! Unless of course we both change ends, but then I don't think he'd appreciate me waking him to change ends, just because I can't get to sleep.

Anyway, seems as though our bed is in the right direction, so that's a promising start. Now if the weather does the right thing, that would be even better. Being married to someone who does not suffer motion sickness at all, I don't always get the sympathy I think I deserve. Since we're doing the cruise because he wanted to (secretly I do too) I think he should be more considerate! ;)

Can anyone tell me the position of the bed in cabin 7136 on the Zuiderdam? Thanks.

The cabin is on the stern with the room facing aft.

Your head will be on the Starboard side with feet facing Port side.

Alright, now you're really going to think I'm mad. Sometimes at home, when I toss and turn and just can't get to sleep, I sleep at the other end of the bed (summer time when covers are not needed). But since I got kicked in the face once by my better half, that's not a safe option! Unless of course we both change ends, but then I don't think he'd appreciate me waking him to change ends, just because I can't get to sleep.

Anyway, seems as though our bed is in the right direction, so that's a promising start. Now if the weather does the right thing, that would be even better. Being married to someone who does not suffer motion sickness at all, I don't always get the sympathy I think I deserve. Since we're doing the cruise because he wanted to (secretly I do too) I think he should be more considerate! ;)

I think you and I were separated at birth LOL. I sometimes sleep sideways across my king bed (not married yet) when I can't sleep and have also done the the head at the foot thing. I also suffer from motion sickness and have general issues with falling asleep in general sometimes.

What ship and room number? The smaller ships oceanview rooms usually have the head of the bed under the window.

For the this reason we ask for twin beds. This way one does not have to crawl all over the bed to see what is going on outside.:cool:

john

Archived