OFFICE closing, lost job, balance due next week..

Well just when things a looking up, the big shark comes up and takes a big bite outta you. :( I have a dilemma and need advice. The office is closing at the end of the month, but I need to make the final payment by 3/23. We have the money saved up for the cruise, but I might still be unemployed by the time June comes around. Q. Do I still book the cruise and enjoy it the best I can or cancel it and when things turn around book another. The kids will be so disappointed if we don't go. :confused:

thanx

I think a lot of things come into play here.

How Old you are.

Is this your first cruise or your 15th?

Are airline and hotel stays part of the cruise?

But the main thing is, I believe, how quickly do you feel you'll be able to find another job doing whatever you do? Is it a job that other companies would need you for?

If you have the emergency funds to tide you over for a while, and you are pretty sure you can land a job once you return, I'd suggest you take the cruise. A vacation such as this might be just the thing you need (and your family) before changing jobs.

Whatever your decision, my best to you and I do hope that everything works out for you.

redwings,

i felt compelled to check in with you on this. absolutely take the cruise! it was planned, everyone is looking forward to it and it is partially paid for. go and have fun, party it up and get the recharge that you need and deserve. right now you have the anxiety of your job situation and you don't need to add to that by facing a vacation cancellation. i'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason and you will probably find that losing that job was the best thing that ever happened to you.

i booked my late april cruise a couple of months ago and tomorrow is my last day at my job of 8 years. i am starting a new one next week however but i was still a little concerned with the way vacation is handled at a new place, if the job is the right one etc. bottom line i just shook it off and am really looking forward to my cruise and getting that recharge i need.

if you dont trust me, ask HIM, HE always knows what to do.

If it were me,I would go.You may have to give up a few of the extras but I am sure you will have a great time .Plus,when you do land that new position you might not be eligible for time off for a full year so enjoy the time with your family now.

I would cancel. If you get a new job , it would be unlikely you will get time off that quickly. If you don't get a job quickly, the cruise will be a financial burden and you will not feel good about doing anything extra because you will be watching your money closely.

I think a lot of things come into play here.

How Old you are.

Is this your first cruise or your 15th?

Are airline and hotel stays part of the cruise?

But the main thing is, I believe, how quickly do you feel you'll be able to find another job doing whatever you do? Is it a job that other companies would need you for?

If you have the emergency funds to tide you over for a while, and you are pretty sure you can land a job once you return, I'd suggest you take the cruise. A vacation such as this might be just the thing you need (and your family) before changing jobs.

Whatever your decision, my best to you and I do hope that everything works out for you.

1. 47 yo

2. 12th cruise

3. Airfare and hotel booked separtate(used points for hotel, but have non-refundable airline tickets

4. I'm in engineering, and already have some feelers out there, but might have to take a pay cut in order to secure a job and it might take a couple of months

5. My wife works so we will have some income coming in

I too, would cancel. To spend that kind of money now would be reckless and you won't enjoy yourself on vacation anyway. It's not to late to cancel and be made "whole".

If the cruise were totally paid for and you would lose money if you canceled, my opinion would be different. Just remember, most of us are two paychecks away from living on the street.

I would go and return refreshed and recharged ready to take on the world. Sometimes in life you have to throw caution to the wind. I would be worried about how depressing it would be to be out of work missing a cruise and looking for a job. Break up the bad karma and go. Joe V.

Serenade of the Seas 12/31/05

Zuiderdam 4/23/05

RCI - 2 times

Princess - 3 times

QE2 - 1 time

Royal Majesty - 1 time

Carnival - 1 time

I'm sorry, I would cancel too if you are not sure you will be employed soon. I know it is a huge disappointment, but if you do not have a job by June, you will definitely need the cash. A cruise only lasts a week but that money could make the house payment and pay some bills for another month. Would you really enjoy the cruise if you were still unemployed or would you be thinking of how that money would come in handy right then? Look at it as a good (but hard) lesson for your kids. What do you really want to teach them? Life is full of disappointments but you should always act responsibility and deal with them. It's not always about self-gratification. You can always book another later when things are better and enjoy your cruise worry free. I hope you find something soon!

This is one of the most assinine questions I have ever seen someone ask of strangers. It is your life and your family at stake here, why are you asking strangers for advice about this situation. The sad thing would be if you took anyone's advice other than your closest family members.

Good Luck

Kevin

with your personal info in mind, i have to say go! since this is your 12th cruise it's not like you have to do every excursion offered. on my last cruise we did not plan any excursion and used this cruise as a resting cruise! it was my best cruise yet!

so get that family in tow and go for it!

have a great time!

judy

I didn't read all the posts, but you did say K I D S. There is no doubt you should cancel at this point. There are cruises every day. When things get staightened out, book another cruise. Better yet, do it last minute and save a bundle. I believe if kids are involved it is better to be causious. They will understand. They may be disappointed but they will understand. Good luck.

I hate to say it, but I would also cancel. If you cannot get the money back I would let it go toward another later cruise as suggested by familycruzer. You and your wife would probally not enjoy this if you are unemployed. And if you did have to get help from someone, just think how that would be if you had to ask for money, and you are going on a cruise while they are home working. Besides the cost of the cruise, if you are like ever other person, you usually spend money on new clothing....etc. When you do get a new job, usually vacation will be awhile later, besides that you are going prime time and I am sure someone else, who has been with the new company longer, probally will already have that week.

Good Luck!

Karol

not sure on all the details but something similar happened to me..........when my office closed, I also was given severance pay and paid for vacation time earned but not taken..........

take the cruise..........starting a new job can be stressful and this might be just what you and your family need right now..........

Sharlene

I would cancel. I can't believe you would even ask such a question!! What a waste of money at a time when your financial future is so questionable! Your kids will get over it and they will learn a valuable lesson to boot.

Do the responsible thing and cancel.

This is one of the most assinine questions I have ever seen someone ask of strangers. It is your life and your family at stake here, why are you asking strangers for advice about this situation. The sad thing would be if you took anyone's advice other than your closest family members.

Good Luck

Kevin

Sorry, but Kevin is absolutely correct. Why are you asking people who have no information about the reality of your situation? Please consult your family, not a cruise board and make a wise decision

Hi, I am kind of facing the same dilemma. Although I was not laid off, my hours were cut considerably and my salary dropped by over $36k, a big hit when it was unexpected (hmm, but the economy seems to be doing so great according to our fearless leader, oh, that must mean all his rich friends!-sorry, couldn't resist )

Our last payment for our April vacation was due the week after my cutback too. We decided to go forward with it. We also have kids who were really looking forward to it, but frankly, so were we. We've had a long winter and a lot of issues outside of finances that have been going on. We really felt we needed this time as a family.

Now, you are an engineer, I am in mortgage banking. Which means we are both educated professionals. Yes, it may take a while to find a new job, but you are probably very resourceful, as I am, and you will find a way to make ends meet.

So, it may sound a little selfish, but I'd go for it. If you find a new job before you go, I find that most employers are very willing to negotiate a vacation that has already been planned and paid for. Yes, I know jobs are hard to come by (but then again, not according to our leader) but honestly, I would be concerned about going to work for an employer who won't negotiate in the vacation time if they knew it was planned and paid for already. Reason being, they are going to be very difficult to work with when it comes to asking for anything. Most people realize that life happens, you had no idea you were going to loose your job, and there are things in your life (especially if you have kids) that can't just be rescheduled. As somebody else mentioned, you may find yourself with a new employer who has a policy of no vacation time for a year, that's a long time without any significant time off to refresh.

I hope you find the wisdom to make the best decision for you and your family, ultimately, it's only you who can make the decision. Not an easy one, I know. Good luck, and have a wonderful, relaxing and enjoyable vacation if you decide to go!

You already have the money saved for the cruise so:

1. If your job prospects are good.

2. Your spouses income can handle the household requirements/current debt load.

3. You cannot get all your money/travel points back (airfare, before after accomodations).

I say go for it. I got laid off last summer, Got a new job for a lot less salary. Took the severance from the old job to pay for a cruise for the whole family because with a lot less disposable income I knew it would be our last "destination" vacation for awhile.

I would go for it. Being unemployeed can get depressing and a cruise would really pull the family together. Cruise prices are just going to go up, but maybe you could get a lower class cabin to save some money. New jobs just don't throw you a bunch of vacation time right off the bat. Don't forget to file for unemployement. It is your money in an account, not a handout from the government.

Archived