OFFICE closing, lost job, balance due next week..

To all:

Just curious: The OP and myself included, as I have the same week to cancel, what IS our penalty for canceling this late? Ouch...but better than losing the job...sigh...:(

And added note to OP:

You may also find yourself in my situation with finding a new job just before your cruise. Just something to keep in mind. Good jobs are better than cruises that can be rescheduled. Such is life. :)

Cheers!

Island lady, the information about cancelling from RCI's web-site is posted below. Thus for your 7-night cruise on the Mariner, you have until March 27 to cancel and get a full refund (including your deposit), until May 6 to cancel and only lose your deposit, and until May 28 to cancel and lose 50% of your cruise fare. Note, all of those are when the request must be officially in to RCI. If you purchased through a TA, then you will need to cancel with them early enough for them to contact and get confirmation from RCI about the cancellation, so I would make sure that you give yourself at least 2 hours on the business day prior to these deadlines to cancel with a TA.

If I have to cancel my cruise, will I get a refund?

You will get a full refund if you notify us in writing 70 days (60 days for 3 & 4-night cruises) prior to your sailing date. Consult the chart below to determine the cancellation charges applicable later.

Note: No refunds will be made if you do not show up for your cruise or if you interrupt or cancel your vacation once it has begun.

Days Prior to Sailing

Charges Per-Person

3 & 4 Night

60 or more No Charge

59-30 Deposit amount

29-8 50% of total price

7 or less No refund

7-Night

70 or more No Charge

69-30 Deposit amount

29-8 50% of total price

7 or less No refund

8-Night or longer

70 or more No Charge

69-30 Deposit amount

29-15 50% of total price

14 or less No refund

Holiday Sailings:

Days Prior to Sailing

Charges Per-Person

90 Days or more No Charge

89-30 Deposit amount

29-8 50% of total price

7 or less No refund

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Speak for yourself, I am not in that group, as I am sure many others aren't. Just have to plan for that rainy day.

I would go, if you have the money to tide you over, and it does not put you into a tailspin. But then I have never been out of a job for more than 2 weeks. Of course this is a new economy we are dealing with too, and I have not had to look for a job, so not sure how hard it is since.....well, you know.

You can specifically tell the new employer that you have a family vacation planned and tell them the dates you will be gone. Of course you won't get paid for time off, but I think if you put it out there from the get-go, you will get the time off. I always have anyway.......

As many can attest, it is often much easier to find a job when you have a job than to find one when you don't. As I have had to offer shelter to various friends over the years when they were "between" jobs, I am reasonably familiar with how hard the job market can be. And right now may not be the worst, but it is far from the best market to be a-hunting. Depending on your locale, the market may not be great. Here in the DC region, we have more engineers than we have work for even with the third largest region for technical staff nationally (ain't federal contracting great?) and I still know many qualified engineers who aren't employed right now because it's an employers market where they can pick and choose who they want.

One issue to be cautious about, sometimes the fact that you do have a vacation planned may be enough to prevent you from getting a job. I've seen people told "well, we were interested, but just couldn't work around your availability so we had to go with someone else...". This was for an engineer who had a family commitment planned and was up-front about it. The project was already a couple of months behind due to the loss of the previous employee and had a contract to fulfill in several months. They were already faced with being behind and a ramp-up time for the new staff member. They could not afford the week and went with someone else. By the time he heard about it, the job had already been offered to the other person. If you are going to have this planned and be un-front about it (which is a *MUST* when interviewing), then you should also be willing to cancel at the last minute. When you mention it, you should mention that you would like the time off for a vacation already scheduled and paid for, but that you'll reschedule if the job requires it. Although it would be nice, not everyone will take the time to come back and ask if you could reschedule, they'll just mark you as unavailable and move on. And buy vacation insurance now.

You can specifically tell the new employer that you have a family vacation planned and tell them the dates you will be gone. Of course you won't get paid for time off, but I think if you put it out there from the get-go, you will get the time off. I always have anyway.......

That is EXACTLY what I tell all of them. All say they will work around it and although I won't get paid(BFD), I'll still get to go

That is EXACTLY what I tell all of them. All say they will work around it and although I won't get paid(BFD), I'll still get to go

That is what I told the new employer, "that I don't expect to get paid for that week, should you decide to let me take it", (least of my worries), but I did let them know ahead of time, so I gave them the choice. I am still hoping they will give me the concession, but I am prepared if they don't.

I am pidgeon holed into a specific area being a fine wine rep, and there are very minimal choices in my field here. This is a job I have been waiting for the last 6 months. I will dearly miss going on the cruise, but it is only a week vs. my career. Not much of a choice.

Snoopy: Once again, I DO like your style. You are a pretty cool dude!

Ooops...sorry, that is the Florida girl in me coming out!! :D

Cheers!

I am pidgeon holed into a specific area being a fine wine rep, and there are very minimal choices in my field here. This is a job I have been waiting for the last 6 months. I will dearly miss going on the cruise, but it is only a week vs. my career. Not much of a choice.

Ahhh...quite sensible. With some of my friends who have been unemployed, I've often wondered about the choices they've made. The way I see it, you get insurance, if you need to cancel, you cancel and then you schedule a vacation as soon as they let you and then watch the 90-day ticker for last 90-day discount cruises!

Snoopy: Once again, I DO like your style. You are a pretty cool dude!

Ooops...sorry, that is the Florida girl in me coming out!! :D

Cheers!

(in bad French accent, a la John Astin) "Ooh la la, ma cherie, merci."

Good luck. I do hope everything works out well for you with the dream job *AND* the vacation.

On a completely different note, I remember visiting Merritt Island. I work for NASA and have had several trips down to work at KSC. I've been to some nice areas on Merritt. I can't remember any specifics since it was some years ago, although one really great place with huge orders of great rock shrimp comes to mind. And my folks live out in the NE Orlando area and I've done a lot of driving around the Central Florida region over the last 20 years.

Ahhh...quite sensible. With some of my friends who have been unemployed, I've often wondered about the choices they've made. The way I see it, you get insurance, if you need to cancel, you cancel and then you schedule a vacation as soon as they let you and then watch the 90-day ticker for last 90-day discount cruises!

(in bad French accent, a la John Astin) "Ooh la la, ma cherie, merci."

Good luck. I do hope everything works out well for you with the dream job *AND* the vacation.

On a completely different note, I remember visiting Merritt Island. I work for NASA and have had several trips down to work at KSC. I've been to some nice areas on Merritt. I can't remember any specifics since it was some years ago, although one really great place with huge orders of great rock shrimp comes to mind. And my folks live out in the NE Orlando area and I've done a lot of driving around the Central Florida region over the last 20 years.

Ahh Snoopy, I knew there were many reasons I liked you!! ;)

The place you mentioned is Dixie Crossroads in Titusville. And you are right, they have really great rock shrimp!! :D Best around!! They have been a landmark restaurant for years. The DH and I were there just 2 weeks ago, as they are close to where our tax man is located...oh no...the dreaded tax time...yikes!! :eek:

My DH is also an engineer, he is in the power plant biz, but likes the perks of my job better!! I keep the wine cellar filled! :D

Most of my neighbors here work for NASA. Some really great people!! :)

Cheers!

Ahh Snoopy, I knew there were many reasons I liked you!! ;)

The place you mentioned is Dixie Crossroads in Titusville. And you are right, they have really great rock shrimp!! :D Best around!! They have been a landmark restaurant for years. The DH and I were there just 2 weeks ago, as they are close to where our tax man is located...oh no...the dreaded tax time...yikes!! :eek:

My DH is also an engineer, he is in the power plant biz, but likes the perks of my job better!! I keep the wine cellar filled! :D

Most of my neighbors here work for NASA. Some really great people!! :)

Cheers!

*snap* That's it!

As soon as I saw Dixie Crossroads, it rang a bell. That was it. Does it have a big veranda around the front of the building? That's also seems vaguely right.

And I also remember a place out in Canaveral with Buffalo wings with heat on a scale of 10 (I do remember #10 was great - "Now you may go to Nirvana") ... wow, haven't thought about these places in a few years.

*snap* That's it!

As soon as I saw Dixie Crossroads, it rang a bell. That was it. Does it have a big veranda around the front of the building? That's also seems vaguely right.

Yup...that's it!! :)

They have a huge wooden porch area with fish swimming around under the walkways. On the weekends, they have bands that play for the throngs of people waiting for a table. They do not take reservations, but do a great business in drink sales for the waiting shrimp lovers.

Hope you can make it to the "big meatball" here again soon!!

Cheers!

If your wife works, you all won't starve. Being out of work is stressful on the whole family, not just you, so this gives everyone something to look forward to. It may take awhile to land another good job, so don't worry about taking a new job before the cruise. As someone else said, a good employer will let you take the time off for something that was prearranged.

I would also say that it is okay to bounce your situation here. It is kind of neat that so many strangers have given you food for thought. Nothing wrong with that at all. :)

Go for it. Nothing in life is guaranteed. You could cancel and plan another and then get laid off before you're next cruise. It hard enough on the pysche to be out of work. At least you have somehing relaxing to look forward to and if you havent found anything jobwise by then at least you'll come back refreshed. Go for it. You could be hit by a truck and disabled next year. Your KIDS will thank you:D

This thread reminds me of a Jerry Springer episode, or maybe a Dr. Laura radio show. Why do all of those people call with the stupid questions that everyone listening knows the answer to?

LOL

Kevin

I'm starting to think that maybe it's really a psychology experiment - and we're just comparing the behavior patterns between optimists and pessimists! It's amazing how different people see the same situation so differently!

My wife and I have a fall back plan if one of us loses a job. Granted it involves selling the house and moving back home but we would find a way to take the vacation. Nothing like kicking yourself while your down. Go cruise and enjoy.

This just goes to show how different we all are. NO WAY I sell my house and move back with the folks so that I can go ahead and take my cruise!!! "Sorry kids, we're going to be spending 24/7 with grandma, but hey, you'll have one good week anyway!"

Maybe I'd feel differently if I had no kids...

No, definitely never want to move back with the parents. Sorry Mom, no offense intended!:o

This thread reminds me of a Jerry Springer episode, or maybe a Dr. Laura radio show. Why do all of those people call with the stupid questions that everyone listening knows the answer to?

LOL

Kevin

you keep coming back for more so it must have some allure, huh? ;)

This just goes to show how different we all are. NO WAY I sell my house and move back with the folks so that I can go ahead and take my cruise!!! "Sorry kids, we're going to be spending 24/7 with grandma, but hey, you'll have one good week anyway!"

Maybe I'd feel differently if I had no kids...

No, definitely never want to move back with the parents. Sorry Mom, no offense intended!:o

I second that motion.

BTW, I was laid off a couple of years ago, and before that happened I never went for more than two weeks between a job. Well after the layoff it took me THREE MONTHS to find a job. Gave me some perspective. I have friends--with highly marketable skills--who have been on the job hunt for more than a year.

As for whether you go on the cruise or not, I like the suggestion of possibly swapping for a shorter or less expensive cruise, even if you have possible leads in the hopper. In my case, we didn't have a cruise pending, but we had a land vacation we had been planning for some time. We just reduced the number of days and went on the vacation. I felt better about it because it was much less expensive, and we still had a good time. Of course, YMMV. My husband was working, so it was doable.

go and have fun.

big picture...this job thing is just one blip in your whole life. you will get another job. you will have other sources of income at your disposal and you're not gonna starve.

i've been in this boat and can tell you...that life is short. you should milk every second of pleasure that you can from it.

now i'm not saying to be irresponsible. don't overdo it onboard the ship with $1000 spa treatments (unless you can afford it). but go and have fun, laugh, dance, and just enjoy your time and your family because once these moments are gone...you can never get them back again.

money...it comes and goes (mostly goes whenever i'm concerned).

This is one of the most assinine questions I have ever seen someone ask of strangers. It is your life and your family at stake here, why are you asking strangers for advice about this situation. The sad thing would be if you took anyone's advice other than your closest family members.

Good Luck

Kevin

What an idiot. While you may have a somewhat valid point, your lack of tactful communication skills is obvious. You must be alot of fun to live with.

While I'm sure the OP is discussing this issue with his wife in depth, sometimes it's just nice to hear what others might or might not do in a similar situation.

MTS

What an idiot. While you may have a somewhat valid point, your lack of tactful communication skills is obvious. You must be alot of fun to live with.

While I'm sure the OP is discussing this issue with his wife in depth, sometimes it's just nice to hear what others might or might not do in a similar situation.

MTS

Calling someone an idiot, then complaining about their lack of "tactful communication skills." Hmm...:rolleyes:

Had a similiar thing happen in '92...first cruise, paid the deposit and then got laid off a few weeks before I made the final payment. Had the $$$ to pay for it and did it. Not only did it get me hooked on cruising but it was definitely a plus....

when we came back, I was the only one who wasn't stressed about having to go back to work...it was right before the holidays and since I didn't have a lot of cash to blow on gifts that year, most of my gifts were from the islands (CHEAP).... 8 months later, I got called back to the job I left..

Life is short...just do it....

I've changed my mind, boatbunny is right. Go for it ! Take out your savings, borrow from the neighbors and crank up the credit cards. :D It will be worth it. You will feel better when you get back to all that missery. Just get er done!!

Calling someone an idiot, then complaining about their lack of "tactful communication skills." Hmm...:rolleyes:

I was using language that this rued poster can most likely relate to. If he can dish out that kind of "attitude", than he shouldn't be surprised when he get's it back.

To the original poster of this thread, don't let folks with no manners make you feel bad. Fortunately, most the folks on this website are nice people, but their are always a few in every bunch no matter where you go.

MTS

We were planning a cruise with friends and the same thing happened to them. They both lost their jobs before we went. But they went anyways, we had a great time and they are SO glad they went ahead with the cruise. I say since you have one income still coming in, go and have a great time with your family. Kids grow up fast enough and you can never get the time back.

Redwings,

I would take the cruise if you have the money right now to pay for it. I found out on Nov 2 that I was getting laid-off - tomorrow is my last day :( .

Anyway, as my Christmas gift my husband went and booked us on an 11-night cruise to Hawaii for this May. At first I thought he was absolutely nuts - I'm loosing my job and we are going to Hawaii for 2 weeks (staying for a few days after the cruise). But I look at it this way, I have severance pay coming, a retention bonus, and I can get unemployement. Because we have cruised before and because of the great advice from fellow cruise critic members we know what to do to save on excursions, hotels, and other travel expenses.

So I am going to Hawaii in 9 weeks and I can't wait. Luckily I was offered a job today and will start next week and I was up front about my trip and they are giving me the time off. Of course it is without pay - but I lucked out with my lay off package. I'm glad we didn't cancel our trip, everything worked out in the end.

Just one more thing (sorry so long), I had planned on bringing my lap top with me if I was still out of work to search monster at night for jobs. Unfortunately postings get pulled so quickly I didn't want to miss something, but taking 15 - 20 minutes at the end of the day to e-mail a few resumes isn't bad if your in the tropics :cool:

Archived