OFFICE closing, lost job, balance due next week..

[quote name='island lady']I will be sure to post a "yippeee!!" if and when (I hope) I get the final ok!! If they decide not to let me go....well....I will just celebrate the next year![/QUOTE]

[size=3][font=Book Antiqua]Yes, please do! I was travelling over the weekend and I'm just getting caught up now . . . happy to hear that you're right on track. :)

Also curious to hear how things are going for Redwings . . . any more news on the employment front??
[/font][/size]

OK here is the update:
The office is closing on 4/1. I am on a project thru 4/10, so I have a little more time.
Last week I have received an offer from a small integration firm. More money, less benefits, more work hours. I am waiting to hear from another company regarding an offer that should be forth coming. Bottom line, I have a job if I decide to take it. Best of all, WE ARE GOING ON OUR CRUISE. Thank you everyone for your support and help. I did manage to network with a few people thru this forum and you never know
what may happen.

Happy to hear your good news, Redwing!! I was wondering what ended up being your situation.

I was fully prepared to have to cancel my cruise (leaving the same time as your's, different ship), because I finally got the offer and start date for the new job I had been waiting over 6 months for. I had to wait a week to find out if they would give me the vacation time.

This is a big celebration as we are boarding the day of the 50th birthday, and it is our anniversary a couple days later. Hated to have to lose that, but the job was more important.

I am happy to report that they indeed gave me the time off, with pay! Guess they wanted me as much as I wanted the job!

Now I will have an even sweeter time on the cruise than ever before!!

Ahh...victory is good!!

Cheers!

[quote name='Sunny AZ Girl']I am happy to hear the good news for both of you! I am so glad that everything has worked out not only for your cruises but for the jpbs. I'm sure everyone is breathing a big sigh of relief! :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Ginny!! That was very nice of you, as always! :)

Cheers!

Cancel. Yes, it will be disappointing, but the cruise is a luxury. We all know people -- good people with educations and solid work histories -- who've been unemployed or underemployed for a year or more at a time. It would be irresponsible to spend lavishly when you don't know when another paycheck will be coming in. The cruise industry will still be there a year from now, and then you can take your cruise with no doubts. If you go right now, instead of returning recharged and refreshed, you'll come back thinking, "Why'd I spend the money?"

[quote name='MrsPete']Cancel. Yes, it will be disappointing, but the cruise is a luxury. We all know people -- good people with educations and solid work histories -- who've been unemployed or underemployed for a year or more at a time. It would be irresponsible to spend lavishly when you don't know when another paycheck will be coming in. The cruise industry will still be there a year from now, and then you can take your cruise with no doubts. If you go right now, instead of returning recharged and refreshed, you'll come back thinking, "Why'd I spend the money?"[/QUOTE]

MrsPete, did you read the whole thread or just jump to the end? The OP came back and posted that he already had one possible job lined up with an offer but was holding off while evaluating a second offer. So either way, he had a new job lined up.

At this point, even those of us cautious about cruising without a job are behind him as long as he can get the time off from the new job. And unless there are some pressing deadlines (which can be discussed before startng the job), most companies will at least be willing to offer "Leave Without Pay" for the week off. With his wife's income, they should not have any problem with one week without pay.

Oops -- no, I didn't read the whole thread. I replied to the first page, which is sometimes a mistake. Since I see that the original poster has a job offer, the whole situation is different. If the new employer will allow the time off so soon, I'd say go and have a great time -- after all, he is no longer facing unemployment.

However, I hold to my original post in that I think it's irresponsible for a person who has no job prospects to go on a vacation. Another poster said something about the typical American family being two paychecks away from living on the streets, a statistic I think we've all heard before; I don't see how people can be comfortable with that.

Hi Redwing and Islandlady,

I hadn't checked this in a while, I am so glad to hear that things worked out so well for both of you, but now I need you to send a little luck my way. If you recall in my post of 3/17, my hours had been cut back to 3 days a week. Well, guess what? I was officially laid off last Weds.

We are cruising on 4/24 (Explorer) and had already paid for the cruise. We did however, look at the excursions we had booked and did cut back on those to spend a little less $$. And, we've talked to the kids about reduced spending on extras as well. So, I won't have my massage and facial on this trip, but I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to sitting on my balcony at night and feeling the peace of the ocean as we sail. And, I've already starting packing!!

I do get to collect unemployment (I was employed in MA and the benefits are actually decent in that state compared to NH, so although I live in NH, I worked in MA and that is where I get to collect from), and we have savings that will allow me to go at least 8 months. Not that I am thrilled about using it, but at least I am not in complete panic mode.

For me, my industry (mortgage banking) is coming to a screetching halt. So, I am going to look at my passions and my strengths and probably make a career change. I have always enjoyed baking, and just took a 7 month french pastry course, so I am thinking of pursuing that.

Anyway, congrats to both of you, I am sure you will be in your best frame of mind to start your new jobs after you've been pampered and enjoyed time with your family!

[quote name='dc-snoopy']Wonderful! I'm glad that both of your situations worked out well. Calm seas and gentle winds to your sails.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Snoopy!! :)

Knowing everthing is "on an even keel" makes the trip all that much more special, and well earned!!

Cheers!

I had a feeling that I was going to get canned (laid off, that is) and I was not mistaken. However, back in December, I got a bonus...I decided that since I had used previous surprises to pay for big bills and other practical/everyday things, I was going to enjoy it for once! After a rough few years (major death in my family, job uncertainties, etc.), I felt that I needed it...it was paid for before I got canned in January (and I did receive severance) and I just went on it three weeks ago. It was SO what I needed; it allowed me to get away from life for a while! :) Back to the job search again now!

[quote name='boatbunny']Hi Redwing and Islandlady,

I hadn't checked this in a while, I am so glad to hear that things worked out so well for both of you, but now I need you to send a little luck my way. If you recall in my post of 3/17, my hours had been cut back to 3 days a week. Well, guess what? I was officially laid off last Weds.

We are cruising on 4/24 (Explorer) and had already paid for the cruise. We did however, look at the excursions we had booked and did cut back on those to spend a little less $$. And, we've talked to the kids about reduced spending on extras as well. So, I won't have my massage and facial on this trip, but I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to sitting on my balcony at night and feeling the peace of the ocean as we sail. And, I've already starting packing!!

I do get to collect unemployment (I was employed in MA and the benefits are actually decent in that state compared to NH, so although I live in NH, I worked in MA and that is where I get to collect from), and we have savings that will allow me to go at least 8 months. Not that I am thrilled about using it, but at least I am not in complete panic mode.

For me, my industry (mortgage banking) is coming to a screetching halt. So, I am going to look at my passions and my strengths and probably make a career change. I have always enjoyed baking, and just took a 7 month french pastry course, so I am thinking of pursuing that.

Anyway, congrats to both of you, I am sure you will be in your best frame of mind to start your new jobs after you've been pampered and enjoyed time with your family![/QUOTE]

Sending luck your way, Boatbunny!! And thanks for your well wishes!! :)

In my case, the cruise money was already saved up for, but the new job I had been waiting for was going to come into play before the cruise would be here. If I were in your situation, having just freshly been laid off and being able to collect decent unemployment, plus I am sure you have already paid for the cruise with it coming up so soon....I would not feel bad about going.

When you get back, you will feel refreshed and the job possiblities will open up for you. Not to mention being able to have all that time during your vacation week to think about what you will want to do, and able to use your family as sounding boards!

Happy cruising!!

Cheers!

Archived