All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

[quote name='avazah']I apparently have saved a cruise compass from August 3rd of this year (thanks to whoever provided that!), it says that Lora is the piano player. Can't say for sure that it hasn't changed since!

Clarea, do you know how close you need to be to your cruise to request entertainment info via email? We're 44 days out, think they'd be able to tell me at this point?[/quote]

Just got back from an Explorer cruise. Lora is still the singer/piano player there. My favorite though was Scott in the Crown and Kettle. One night early in the trip he does a Neil Diamond set and the rest of the trip is audience request-mostly 50's, 60's and 70's

Just off the Explorer yesterday. We had a fabulous 9 night cruise! The crew are amazing, very attentive and friendly. One major observation is that this ship really needs a dry dock sooner than later.... I know she is scheduled for 2015, but honestly there are areas of the ship that are looking very tired and worn. I'm used to an older ship (AOS), but on this cruise I couldn't help but notice that it was looking a bit on the beat up side. These are my own observations...... Like I said, we had a fantastic cruise and met some wonderful people!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]

[quote name='ckrobyn']Just off the Explorer yesterday. We had a fabulous 9 night cruise! The crew are amazing, very attentive and friendly. One major observation is that this ship really needs a dry dock sooner than later.... I know she is scheduled for 2015, but honestly there are areas of the ship that are looking very tired and worn. I'm used to an older ship (AOS), but on this cruise I couldn't help but notice that it was looking a bit on the beat up side. These are my own observations...... Like I said, we had a fantastic cruise and met some wonderful people!!!!!

h

Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL][/QUOTE]

Hi ckrobyn

What were your observations?

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Forums mobile app Edited by lovetocruiserccl

[quote name='beachbuddy']Hi all, we haven't been on the Explorer for a while and the last time we sailed on her they didn't have a "D" lounge, only a "D" event which we hardly went to. Just wondering if they ever put a "D" lounge in. Anyone know???

Thanks,
Patty[/QUOTE]

Hello,

We recently returned from the Brilliance repo and enjoyed the Diamond Lounge. Could someone tell me what a Diamond nightly event is? Thank you.

[quote name='ckrobyn']Just off the Explorer yesterday. We had a fabulous 9 night cruise! The crew are amazing, very attentive and friendly. One major observation is that this ship really needs a dry dock sooner than later.... I know she is scheduled for 2015, but honestly there are areas of the ship that are looking very tired and worn. I'm used to an older ship (AOS), but on this cruise I couldn't help but notice that it was looking a bit on the beat up side. These are my own observations...... Like I said, we had a fantastic cruise and met some wonderful people!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using [URL="http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1"]Tapatalk[/URL][/quote]

[COLOR=darkorchid][B]Robyn, welcome back. As you can see from my signature, we're doing this cruise in March. Can you be more specific about EX looking tired, worn and beat up? Specifically how are the cabins? the bedding? Hopefully, we won't notice all that much since most of our cruises were on older ships just before they went into dry dock. [/B][/COLOR]

Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL][/QUOTE]

Off topic...we will be on the ship next week. Just wondering when it started to warm up. Day 2 or day 3?

Thanks!

[quote name='itsmecarrie']Off topic...we will be on the ship next week. Just wondering when it started to warm up. Day 2 or day 3?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Was on the 11/14 sailing last week, we were pretty lucky with day one not being too bad at all and a lot of people were by the pool on day 2, warmed up nicely.

[quote name='itsmecarrie']Off topic...we will be on the ship next week. Just wondering when it started to warm up. Day 2 or day 3?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

If you are on the 12/2 sailing you should come over to the roll-call, we have a great crowd of people and many repeat Explorer cruises that can answer all your questions:

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1627857&page=194[/url]

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Based on my experience last march and the cold weather we have now I would saw after noon day 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks![/QUOTE]

If you are on the 12/2 sailing you should come over to the roll-call, we have a great crowd of people and many repeat Explorer cruises that can answer all your questions:

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1627857&page=194[/url]

OOPS double post Edited by funNsun4me

[quote name='BonTexasNY'][COLOR=darkorchid][B]Robyn, welcome back. As you can see from my signature, we're doing this cruise in March. Can you be more specific about EX looking tired, worn and beat up? Specifically how are the cabins? the bedding? Hopefully, we won't notice all that much since most of our cruises were on older ships just before they went into dry dock. [/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Like I said, these are my own observations. The cabin corridors (we were on deck 9) had dirty carpets that are also looking quite worn. The art in the same corridor is in a state of disrepair...for some reason there are passengers who think it's funny to tear pieces of the art off the walls. The pool area needs a lot of work, you can see rust on the outside of the hot tubs, and paint peeling in several areas, especially where the suite seats are located. The elevators were making a high pitched squeal the whole cruise, and the talking voice sounded muffled when it told you the deck you were getting on and off of. Lucky for me, I had seen a video of the Royal Family Suite before I opened the door, otherwise I would have been in a state of shock. This cabin needs work. The rubber around the balcony door was falling off, walls are dented and/or scuffed, the furniture was dirty and the couch as well as the chairs in various states of disrepair...for example if you leaned too far back in your chair, you could hear a "popping" sound?!?! My observations are if the 2nd most expensive cabin on the ship is neglected, what do the other cabins look like? I sailed in an OS on the AOS for 2 weeks last March and it was beautiful and luxurious, but more importantly well cared for.
The public areas like the Promenade and the various bars and theatre venues looked good, as did the dining room.
I would most definitely sail on the Explorer again, I just think a dry dock is needed earlier than 2015!
Hope this answers your question?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I was pleasantly surprised! Day 2 was quite comfortable in the afternoon as we were on the balcony in T-shirts. Day 3 by afternoon there were people in the pool.

[quote name='ckrobyn']Like I said, these are my own observations. The cabin corridors (we were on deck 9) had dirty carpets that are also looking quite worn. The art in the same corridor is in a state of disrepair...for some reason there are passengers who think it's funny to tear pieces of the art off the walls. The pool area needs a lot of work, you can see rust on the outside of the hot tubs, and paint peeling in several areas, especially where the suite seats are located. The elevators were making a high pitched squeal the whole cruise, and the talking voice sounded muffled when it told you the deck you were getting on and off of. Lucky for me, I had seen a video of the Royal Family Suite before I opened the door, otherwise I would have been in a state of shock. This cabin needs work. The rubber around the balcony door was falling off, walls are dented and/or scuffed, the furniture was dirty and the couch as well as the chairs in various states of disrepair...for example if you leaned too far back in your chair, you could hear a "popping" sound?!?! My observations are if the 2nd most expensive cabin on the ship is neglected, what do the other cabins look like? I sailed in an OS on the AOS for 2 weeks last March and it was beautiful and luxurious, but more importantly well cared for.
The public areas like the Promenade and the various bars and theatre venues looked good, as did the dining room.
I would most definitely sail on the Explorer again, I just think a dry dock is needed earlier than 2015!

Sent from my iPhone using [URL="http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1"]Tapatalk[/URL][/quote]

[COLOR=darkorchid][B]Thanks, Robyn. Yes you answered my question. I'm glad you had a great cruise in spite of it but the items you mentioned in disrepair really do sound awful especially given the suite you were in. It sounds like the public areas were better taken care of than the cabins. :eek:[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='ckrobyn']Like I said, these are my own observations. The cabin corridors (we were on deck 9) had dirty carpets that are also looking quite worn. The art in the same corridor is in a state of disrepair...for some reason there are passengers who think it's funny to tear pieces of the art off the walls. The pool area needs a lot of work, you can see rust on the outside of the hot tubs, and paint peeling in several areas, especially where the suite seats are located. The elevators were making a high pitched squeal the whole cruise, and the talking voice sounded muffled when it told you the deck you were getting on and off of. Lucky for me, I had seen a video of the Royal Family Suite before I opened the door, otherwise I would have been in a state of shock. This cabin needs work. The rubber around the balcony door was falling off, walls are dented and/or scuffed, the furniture was dirty and the couch as well as the chairs in various states of disrepair...for example if you leaned too far back in your chair, you could hear a "popping" sound?!?! My observations are if the 2nd most expensive cabin on the ship is neglected, what do the other cabins look like? I sailed in an OS on the AOS for 2 weeks last March and it was beautiful and luxurious, but more importantly well cared for.

We sailed with Robyn, and had a great time. In cabin 7620(E2), I did notice some rust on the balcony walls and furniture legs. Maintenance did paint the balcony walls during the 9 days.

[quote name='BonTexasNY'][COLOR=darkorchid][B]Robyn, welcome back. As you can see from my signature, we're doing this cruise in March. Can you be more specific about EX looking tired, worn and beat up? Specifically how are the cabins? the bedding? Hopefully, we won't notice all that much since most of our cruises were on older ships just before they went into dry dock. [/B][/COLOR][/quote]

Just off EX as well. I just wanted to add that the Beds and beddings were wonderful. We asked for mattress toppers and the beds were super duper comfy!!:D Edited by Shar27

I truly believe that so many of these issues depend on who is in command of the ship at the time. Last time we were on the Explorer we had a very large L shaped couch in our cabin. On our second night we dined with Captain Olav Nyseter and he made it a point to tell my wife and I that he was personally in our cabin inspecting the condition. He apologized because the couch was dirty and there were a few other things that needed attention. He went on to say that he was going to ensure that everything he noticed would be fixed. Keep in mind we did not make one complaint or even discuss these issues with anyone on the ship.

Well little by little we saw some things getting "touched up" and on our first port day we walked back into our cabin to find the entire sectional couch had been reupholstered and looked brand new.

We saw Capt. Nyseter a couple days later and he asked how it looked. Told him it was great. He went on to tell us that this was his first trip back after vacation and one of the first things he does is make an inspection of public areas and some cabins to ensure everything is up to his definition of acceptable. Well that was apparent throughout the rest of the cruise. So many little things we noticed in the beginning were being fixed, painted or replaced over the next 10 days.

Looking back back at cruises that we thought were great regarding the condition of the ship, many times we saw the same Captains in command of the ship.

Anyone who has sailed with Capt. Olav "Hurricane" Nyseter knows that he is the true epitome of what you think a sea Captain should be and it is even more impressive to see that such a great Captain also takes the time to personally inspect the guest areas and ensure that they meet the standards. I think too many times the Captains simply rely on their crew and this is when we start to see things fall into poor condition.

Sadly Capt. Nyseter has retired. We were hoping to see him again when we are on the Explorer next week.

[COLOR=darkorchid][B]Thanks for everyone else who posted about the condition of the EX.[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkorchid][/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkorchid][B]Sharonna, glad the bedding is comfy. W[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=darkorchid][B]hat is a mattress topper??? [/B][/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=#9932cc][/COLOR][/B]

Guest maddycat
[quote name='BonTexasNY'][COLOR=darkorchid][B]Thanks for everyone else who posted about the condition of the EX.[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkorchid][/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkorchid][B]Sharonna, glad the bedding is comfy. W[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=darkorchid][B]hat is a mattress topper??? [/B][/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=#9932cc][/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]

A matress topper is also called an egg crate. It's a piece of foam about 3" thick that is put on top of the matress for an extra layer of cushioning. I've been asking for one and I find that it makes the bed much more comfortable for me. Other wise the bed is too firm.

Guest maddycat
We were on the Explorer on Nov. 3rd and stayed in D2 balcony cabin 7338. The cabin was in good shape. The carpeting looked new. The sofa was clean, no stains. No mold or mildew in the bathroom.

The drapes did needed some work. All 3 (sheers, blackout and outer) were hanging off their hooks at the ends of the rods. It made it hard to block out all of the morning light.

One thing that they should do is flip the matresses occasionally. They sag in the middle.

The halls on deck 7 were is good shape. I didn't notice any damaged art work or worn carpeting.

[quote name='maddycat']A matress topper is also called an egg crate. It's a piece of foam about 3" thick that is put on top of the matress for an extra layer of cushioning. I've been asking for one and I find that it makes the bed much more comfortable for me. Other wise the bed is too firm.[/quote]

[COLOR=darkorchid][B]I don't think we ever asked for one before so I must like a firm bed. I'll have to check more closely this time around. Thanks![/B][/COLOR]

I forgot to add that we made absolutely no complaints whatsoever while onboard about our suite. I did however note my observations on the comment card we received on the last night.
As Shar27 stated, my bed was crazy comfy! I asked for 2 mattress toppers and it was heavenly :)

[quote name='OnTopOfTheSeas']
[B]Anyone who has sailed with Capt. Olav "Hurricane" Nyseter knows that he is the true epitome of what you think a sea Captain should be [/B]and it is even more impressive to see that such a great Captain also takes the time to personally inspect the guest areas and ensure that they meet the standards. I think too many times the Captains simply rely on their crew and this is when we start to see things fall into poor condition.

Sadly Capt. Nyseter has retired. We were hoping to see him again when we are on the Explorer next week.[/quote]

We had a pleasure to sail with Captain Nyseter. You are absolutely correct. Captain Olav was THE Captain of the Ship. He was literally everywhere. Very impressive man.

[quote name='allboys27']With all the different beverage packages, can someone tell me if the beer bags are still available on Explorer?
TIA[/quote]
I don't know if the bags are available, but if they are, they would not be part of any beverage package. Edited by clarea