All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

Thanks that is helpful...I should be able to catch the 10:30am flight to ATL

They have been doing a lot of road work on the Turnpike Bridge going to Newark. I have been stuck for 30 minutes on the extension to Newark, making a 20-30 minute drive to the airport from Bayonne almost an hour. Allow extra time, you never know when the traffic can back up.

After reading about the expensive parking and potential paint spray issues at the pier, I am quite happy that we managed to convince my brother in law to drive us and then pick us up. I imagine that there is a drop off lane, right? I'm a good passenger when it comes to being dumped at the curb with my luggage...I can evacuate a vehicle quickly without holding up traffic. :cool:

Don't worry, you won't have to jump out of the car while it drives past..LOL :p There is a drop-off area that you can pull in to and unload your luggage.

Don't worry, you won't have to jump out of the car while it drives past..LOL :p There is a drop-off area that you can pull in to and unload your luggage.

Well that's nice...I'm so used to doing the ol' tuck and roll as I get dumped out of the car at the airport.

Well that's nice...I'm so used to doing the ol' tuck and roll as I get dumped out of the car at the airport.

LOL

Have a great cruise. Even though I am just off the EOS, I am jealous. Love the Explorer and sailing out of Bayonne.

As far as I know there really isn't an alternative. We have sailed Explorer twice and both times I tried to research parking elsewhere but they seem to have it priced so that even if you tried to use a Park & Ride near the airport, the Taxi to port would make it just as expensive as parking at the port and a lot less convenient. I have heard some people who have stayed overnight the night before the cruise in one of the hotels in the area that will allow you to keep your car there but idk if they charge for a shuttle or how much the overnight stay would cost. We are sailing again in March so if anyone does find an alternative I would definately be interested as well.

For a park/sleep look at the Fairfield Inn on trinityreservations.com - $117 tax included for the room, breakfast, and 14 days parking on 3/8/12. There is a number on the web site to arrange transportation - $40 for up to 4 people. I stayed there in Feb and got a group together from the roll call - we each paid $10/pp each way to the port and back. I liked the hotel and would recommend it.

Edited by 138east
clarity

LOL

Have a great cruise. Even though I am just off the EOS, I am jealous. Love the Explorer and sailing out of Bayonne.

I really am hoping for a great cruise since it is my first time and all. I am deathly afraid of ending up seasick (escalators and elevators make me woozy yet I can ride rollercoasters for hours on end) but I am going to get on that ship armed with a ton of anti-nausea/seasickness items. I really want to love cruising and will be very upset if it turns out to be something I can't do.

I really am hoping for a great cruise since it is my first time and all. I am deathly afraid of ending up seasick (escalators and elevators make me woozy yet I can ride rollercoasters for hours on end) but I am going to get on that ship armed with a ton of anti-nausea/seasickness items. I really want to love cruising and will be very upset if it turns out to be something I can't do.

I was also very worried before my first cruise two years ago... I did have one day of seasickness (during our first full day at sea), but it went away by dinner that night and didn't return for the duration of the cruise. I found that, when I was inside, not looking out the windows helped.

I was also very worried before my first cruise two years ago... I did have one day of seasickness (during our first full day at sea), but it went away by dinner that night and didn't return for the duration of the cruise. I found that, when I was inside, not looking out the windows helped.

I noticed on the first or second night between 5 and 9pm I'm nauseous. Not throwing up but just intense nausea.

(This past time it had to with too much tequila but still lol)

Also take dramamine(they make a non-drowsy) or bonine every day at the same time whether you feel sick or not

I was seasick on my first cruise. Someone told me about ginger pills and that is what I take now. Starting the day before we embark I take the ginger every day. I have also taken half a bonine tablet, but didnt need it on my last cruise. Good luck

I noticed on the first or second night between 5 and 9pm I'm nauseous. Not throwing up but just intense nausea.

(This past time it had to with too much tequila but still lol)

Also take dramamine(they make a non-drowsy) or bonine every day at the same time whether you feel sick or not

Do you have any problems drinking and taking bonine? I am slightly concerned about that.

IME summer sailings from Bayonne tend to be less bouncy....take your bonine or whatever starting the day before.....also green apples help......keep a little something in your stomach...

I was seasick on my first cruise. Someone told me about ginger pills and that is what I take now. Starting the day before we embark I take the ginger every day. I have also taken half a bonine tablet, but didnt need it on my last cruise. Good luck

IME summer sailings from Bayonne tend to be less bouncy....take your bonine or whatever starting the day before.....also green apples help......keep a little something in your stomach...

We've found ginger, capsules and candied, to work very well for us. Both as a treatment and a Representative.

Thank you all for your responses. I've used Bonine in the past for one particularly hellish Amtrak Auto Train ride to Florida (never again!) and it worked well. I was even able to drink a few glasses of wine (pretty much the only thing that kept me from throwing myself off the train) without turning into a vegetable.

However, I hadn't heard about ginger capsules. I knew that ginger was supposed to help but I didn't know it came in capsule form. *heads to the GNC website* I guess I can add that to my arsenal.

I am just browsing your thread to get some info on EOS. We usually sail out of Baltimore on Enchantment (which we love). Exploring the possibilities of NJ. Does RCCL provide a bus or shuttle from DC area to the Port? Looks like EOS will go into dry dock either 2013 or 2014. Your thread is great with a lot of info.

I am just browsing your thread to get some info on EOS. We usually sail out of Baltimore on Enchantment (which we love). Exploring the possibilities of NJ. Does RCCL provide a bus or shuttle from DC area to the Port? Looks like EOS will go into dry dock either 2013 or 2014. Your thread is great with a lot of info.

Try this, they leave from Baltimore $100 R/T

Entertainment Tours

The drive from Baltimore to Jersey is so easy! We are from Jersey and did a Baltimore cruise, I wouldn't hesitate to just drive up.

The drive from Baltimore to Jersey is so easy! We are from Jersey and did a Baltimore cruise, I wouldn't hesitate to just drive up.

Well . . the one suitcase knocks me out. I am a very heavy packer. In fact, I own the title (within our little group) of the most suitcases.

How long is the drive from Baltimore to Cape Liberty?

Thanks everyone.

Edited by Grandama Gail

Well . . the one suitcase knocks me out. I am a very heavy packer. In fact, I own the title (within our little group) of the most suitcases.

Thanks everyone.

Mapquest says:

4 hrs 19 mins / 232.55 miles

Thank you all for your responses. I've used Bonine in the past for one particularly hellish Amtrak Auto Train ride to Florida (never again!) and it worked well. I was even able to drink a few glasses of wine (pretty much the only thing that kept me from throwing myself off the train) without turning into a vegetable.

However, I hadn't heard about ginger capsules. I knew that ginger was supposed to help but I didn't know it came in capsule form. *heads to the GNC website* I guess I can add that to my arsenal.

A little device called "sea bands" will work miracles and you can consume alcohol while wearing them. They do not make you sleepy. I was skeptical at first. Now, I swear by them for the car ride to and from the port, the tender, etc.

MARAPRINCE

Thanks everyone.

We drove it in March of '10 in 3 and a half hours from Carroll County.

Glenn :)