Norovirus on Crown Princess!

curtdesilets

my in-laws got on crown princess fri 3 june,were told about the virus on previous cruise,spoke to them sunday and they said buffet was still being served by staff who were also getting your tea /coffee.they said it was disorganised and long queues. if the out break was near the beginning of previous cruise and them passengers have got off surely should be no virus as every whereshould have had a good clen.

Hi There

Noro can be very hard to get rid off, first it might be coming onboard new with every cruise,

but most likely the bug is still alive on some surface, have cruised with noro a few times,

even with the ship held over for deep cleaning the ship we still had a small out break.

Once we were in port with three other ships they all had noro we did not

the ship acted like we did have noro for abot two or three days as it was assumed we would bring it back on board,

yours Shogun

All you need to know and then some: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus.htm

DH got this e-mail from Medline this AM since he's in a medically related field. The virus is generally brought on board by a passenger(s).

There were long lines the first day of our cruise also, but it settled down promptly. The extra measures weren't that irksome, especially if you understand how the virus is transmitted. There's no medication or vaccine against it, and you can get it again after your brief immunity wears off. Washing hands, and hand sanitizers are good measures. I did think the handrails could have been wiped down more often when we were around, but hard surfaces aren't ideal breeding places for the virus - food and moist areas are. A good policy is to keep your hands away from your mouth, eyes and face until you can wash thoroughly.

Jeez - years ago my son got norovirus in a college dorm. I should have demanded a tuition refund for the classes he missed!

It sure looks like all the whining by the OP is an attempt to 'rationalize' a future request/demand for monetary compensation.

It wasn't that bad...we even ate large salads from the HC....makes you wonder about some folks, doesn't it?

It wasn't that bad...we even ate large salads from the HC....makes you wonder about some folks, doesn't it?

I never had an issue either. I actually felt worst for the staff in the buffet lines. They were having to work double what they normal do. The IC was the BEST!! We ate there a LOT!!!

While it is no joking matter I have left the line-up to the MDR to enter the men's room to wash my hands. When I come out I take on the pose of a medical doctor, arms outstretched and bent up at the elbow as in waiting for surgical gloves to be applied. You would be surprised how often others have then left the line and entered the washroom. We all need to be reminded and here was a way to do so without saying a word.

We were on HAL earlier this year. They worked their food service for the first couple of days as though there were a virus outbreak on board. I believe that it made more passengers aware of proper hand hygiene. It was preventative and it worked. I believe that all the HAL ships do this at the beginning of each cruise. I believe it to be good!

Jim

These posts are interesting. I have now travelled on 3 cruise lines, Disney-Royal Caribbean-and Princess.

Princess was the only cruise line where using 'cleaning' your hands before entering the dining rooms or buffets was NOT mandatory. The others handed out disposable cloths or squirted your hands with disenfectant and then you could enter. Maybe it is a policy Princess should adopt?

We didn't feel terribly inconvenienced by any of the precautions either. There were lines sometimes to get into the buffet, but they moved quickly, and to be honest, I thought it was nicer once inside because it was controlled and not too crowded. In fact, we felt safer eating in the buffet than the MDR. In the MDR they didn't clean the menu covers (easily the most germ-infested items in any restaurant) and they didn't divide the serving and clearing duties. The assistant waiter would bus the table next to you and then turn right around and put down new silverware on your table for the next course.

We were also delighted when they cancelled the Captain's Circle thing that we had no plans to attend (I guess Captain Andy didn't want to shake all those hands, lol) because the apology note came with drink tickets good at any bar on the ship. My husband parlayed them right into martinis at Crooner's and they gave him olives. He didn't get the fancy olive platter that he loves, but he got olives plopped into the glass.

It could have been worse. A couple of years ago Celebrity had a sick ship and they repeatedly splashed bleach over every surface imaginable. People leaning against railings or sitting in deck chairs had their clothes ruined with no compensation. And the fumes! Anyone around these parts at the time might remember the talk about the bleach cruise. The threads were legendary! Good times.

I don't understand. In your opening post, you used the words 'draconian' and 'mess', whislt complaining there were no nibbles served with drinks and you could not serve your own food at the buffet.

Now it seems that these dracnian measures were insufficient as areas in the buffet were not swabbed and sterilised before soemone else sat down?

So are you now saying that the draconian measures that were imposed did not go far enough?

Cruise lines have to try and minimize and conatin any outbreak of norovirus that occurs. The most obvious precautions to take are around food, rather than chairs, tables or perfume sprays.

My initial post using the phrase "Draconian Measures" may have been overstated. We simply felt that 10 days of code red for the buffet was excessive. You were scolded if you touched anything anywhere. It defeats the exact purpose of a buffet wherein you could put ice cream on a salad if you so wished. My wife and I were eating breakfast about 8 days into this nonsense when we witnessed the sneezing/gagging incident previously described. The Code Red measures at that point proved absolutely useless as the waiter/server/code red enforcer Princess employee basically reversed anything the ship was attempting to do. Other reviewers said that the code red was wearing out the staff.

As many posts here had suggested, by far the best advice is to AVOID the buffet and eat solely in the MDR or specialty restuarants should a "Code Red" situation occur. I would advise that if you get Code Red.

I noticed you will be on the same ship later this month. I am very interested in hearing your review afterwards, especially if Code Red is the colour of the day (or weeks).

Hope in some way this helps.

Jeez - years ago my son got norovirus in a college dorm. I should have demanded a tuition refund for the classes he missed!

It sure looks like all the whining by the OP is an attempt to 'rationalize' a future request/demand for monetary compensation.

OP's just explaining the facts. Try re-reading some of my posts. This statement about a refund was satire. :D

These posts are interesting. I have now travelled on 3 cruise lines, Disney-Royal Caribbean-and Princess.

Princess was the only cruise line where using 'cleaning' your hands before entering the dining rooms or buffets was NOT mandatory. The others handed out disposable cloths or squirted your hands with disenfectant and then you could enter. Maybe it is a policy Princess should adopt?

Princess used to do this. I have been on many of Princess ships that did this. Somewhere along the way, it has been decided (discovered?) that the Purell (or equivilent) doesn't stop the spread of norovirus so they stopped doing it. Hot water and soap is best along with not touching your mouth, etc...

my in-laws got on crown princess fri 3 june,were told about the virus on previous cruise,spoke to them sunday and they said buffet was still being served by staff who were also getting your tea /coffee.they said it was disorganised and long queues. if the out break was near the beginning of previous cruise and them passengers have got off surely should be no virus as every whereshould have had a good clen.

It blows. Believe me, the buffet business was a mess. Have your in-laws eat in the MDR. Much better bet. - OP

We didn't feel terribly inconvenienced by any of the precautions either. There were lines sometimes to get into the buffet, but they moved quickly, and to be honest, I thought it was nicer once inside because it was controlled and not too crowded. In fact, we felt safer eating in the buffet than the MDR. In the MDR they didn't clean the menu covers (easily the most germ-infested items in any restaurant) and they didn't divide the serving and clearing duties. The assistant waiter would bus the table next to you and then turn right around and put down new silverware on your table for the next course.

We were also delighted when they cancelled the Captain's Circle thing that we had no plans to attend (I guess Captain Andy didn't want to shake all those hands, lol) because the apology note came with drink tickets good at any bar on the ship. My husband parlayed them right into martinis at Crooner's and they gave him olives. He didn't get the fancy olive platter that he loves, but he got olives plopped into the glass.

It could have been worse. A couple of years ago Celebrity had a sick ship and they repeatedly splashed bleach over every surface imaginable. People leaning against railings or sitting in deck chairs had their clothes ruined with no compensation. And the fumes! Anyone around these parts at the time might remember the talk about the bleach cruise. The threads were legendary! Good times.

It may have been the best they could do. And most employees were very accommodating, I agree. But we had some pretty cramped seating areas, and the other inconveniences I had mentioned. Apparently from a post on this board, the virus is still there.

Shame on Princess if they aren't providing adequate hand sanitizing equipment. I know it's not a foolproof way to prevent the spread of these gastro bugs but it's better than nothing, especially as so many people are so slack about hand washing in general. HAL and Regent provide automatic sanitizer dispensers in elevators, entrances/exits to ALL public areas, washrooms of course, top and bottom of gangways - the list goes on and from my observation if the facility is provided then most people will use it, even if they are guilted into doing so by seeing others doing the right thing.

The reason your salted nut snacks were withdrawn is because the person who dipped their fingers into the bowl before you could well have been the person who didn't wash their hands after using the WC or maybe just touching handrails or elevator buttons.

I understand your frustration but I think you'd be telling a different story if you'd been unlucky enough to fall victim to noro and spent a happy 48 hours trapped in your bathroom no doubt cursing the person who'd passed it on.

Shame on Princess if they aren't providing adequate hand sanitizing equipment. I know it's not a foolproof way to prevent the spread of these gastro bugs but it's better than nothing, especially as so many people are so slack about hand washing in general. HAL and Regent provide automatic sanitizer dispensers in elevators, entrances/exits to ALL public areas, washrooms of course, top and bottom of gangways - the list goes on and from my observation if the facility is provided then most people will use it, even if they are guilted into doing so by seeing others doing the right thing.

The reason your salted nut snacks were withdrawn is because the person who dipped their fingers into the bowl before you could well have been the person who didn't wash their hands after using the WC or maybe just touching handrails or elevator buttons.

I understand your frustration but I think you'd be telling a different story if you'd been unlucky enough to fall victim to noro and spent a happy 48 hours trapped in your bathroom no doubt cursing the person who'd passed it on.

I agree, it would have been much worse to have Norovirus. But at the same time, I think Princess seriously needs to redefine their Standard Operating Procedures for these outbreaks. Their operation, from my personal observations, leave a lot to be desired. Like lack of hand sanitizers, for instance.

Please forgive me if the following website is already well-known, but I found it is a good source of information (The Center for Disease Control website for International Cruise Ships):

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

Any other official Health Agency website availabe from other countries? Thanks, -S.

Edited by Salacia

I agree, it would have been much worse to have Norovirus. But at the same time, I think Princess seriously needs to redefine their Standard Operating Procedures for these outbreaks. Their operation, from my personal observations, leave a lot to be desired. Like lack of hand sanitizers, for instance.

Just as an FYI, do some research on hand sanitizers vs. washing with soap and the general consensus in the medical community is that washing your hands for 20 seconds (or more) is more effective than using a hand sanitizer. In fact, in many cases, the use of hand sanitizers contributes to the spread of disease because of the false sense of protection (folks think they don't need to wash their hands and choose to just use hand sanitizers). That being said, hand sanitizers have their place at the buffet because of the serving utensils being used that are handled by everyone. But really, the best prevention would be to wash your hands frequently, be careful what you touch and be careful not to touch your face with your hands...

Found this from last year and it correlates exactly with the situation on Crown last week:

There was a norovirus outbreak on our September '09 cruise on the Grand. This gave Princess a wonderful excuse to reduce the number of selections in Horizon Court for no reason whatsoever. I can understand not allowing cruisers to serve themselves, but can't understand their reducing the selections available.

Also, the rules put into effect for HC waitstaff was odd. Passengers were not allowed to get their own drinks: tea, coffee, water. The waitstaff had to bring it to you with gloved hands...the same gloved hands used to clear dirty dishes. Made no sense at all.

Lew

If I had to do it again I still would not report it because they don't do anything for you but give you a shot to help with they nausea and vomiting and then charge you $111.00. That was the total bill that they charged for the nurse coming to the cabin and giving him a shot that did absolutely nothing for him. They were not happy. quote]

We had Code Red 2x on the Emerald in the Caribbean. Part of the capitain's announcement and the letter we received on that day in our cabin, was a statement that any Noro treatment received from the ship'd doctor was free of charge.

Let's hope that the Crown is virus-free next week !

We too were impressed and not inconvenienced by the additional sanitation measures incorporated during the Code Red on our Crown Princess cruise. Immediately upon entering our cabin, I used Clorox disenfectant sheets to wipe every handle, knob, remote and countertop surface to reduce the chance of getting sick. Once the Norovirus was announced, I made the decision to avoid the Buffet as I forethought, it would be a difficult situation having servers and lines galore. Having daily room service was a convenience for our early morning tours. Using one's own bathroom was another smart move to reduce further infection. Also "requesting" that sick individuals not go on organized tours was important although ignored by many. I saw our wait staff sanitizing menu jackets inside and out. I tried not to touch hand rails and public walls as much as possible. I am glad to say only one person who was to share tours with us got sick and was honest enough to contact the medical center. They confined her for at least 4 days.

Yes, parties and special events were cancelled, snacks weren't available and individual service took a little more time, but a small percentage of passengers and crew of all ages were effected. There was still plenty of food to eat!

Kudo's to Princess, IMHO. People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

We too were impressed and not inconvenienced by the additional sanitation measures incorporated during the Code Red on our Crown Princess cruise. Immediately upon entering our cabin, I used Clorox disenfectant sheets to wipe every handle, knob, remote and countertop surface to reduce the chance of getting sick. Once the Norovirus was announced, I made the decision to avoid the Buffet as I forethought, it would be a difficult situation having servers and lines galore. Having daily room service was a convenience for our early morning tours. Using one's own bathroom was another smart move to reduce further infection. Also "requesting" that sick individuals not go on organized tours was important although ignored by many. I saw our wait staff sanitizing menu jackets inside and out. I tried not to touch hand rails and public walls as much as possible. I am glad to say only one person who was to share tours with us got sick and was honest enough to contact the medical center. They confined her for at least 4 days.

Yes, parties and special events were cancelled, snacks weren't available and individual service took a little more time, but a small percentage of passengers and crew of all ages were effected. There was still plenty of food to eat!

Kudo's to Princess, IMHO. People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

Thanks for your comments Bev. I think our error was to continue to eat most of our meals in Horizon. Overall, our cruise was excellent apart from the buffet situation. I just posted my review on the Princess Board. See if you agree.

I'm curious about a couple of things. When one person in a room had Noro and was quarantined how did that effect the other people in the same room?:confused: Also, people say that it is irresponsible to not report having the virus. But maybe it is just motion sickness or such, so as long as you stay in your room and take appropriate steps why does it matter? This is a genuine question not sarcasm.

I have never been on a cruise with a virus outbreak but, from everything I'm hearing the only thing you can do is wash your hands frequently and avoid touching anything. Since I will be on this ship in July I hope they have the problem taken care of by then.

I'm curious about a couple of things. When one person in a room had Noro and was quarantined how did that effect the other people in the same room?:confused: Also, people say that it is irresponsible to not report having the virus. But maybe it is just motion sickness or such, so as long as you stay in your room and take appropriate steps why does it matter? This is a genuine question not sarcasm.

I have never been on a cruise with a virus outbreak but, from everything I'm hearing the only thing you can do is wash your hands frequently and avoid touching anything. Since I will be on this ship in July I hope they have the problem taken care of by then.

I think your question is a good one. The only advantage I can see about reporting your illness would be in the event of you getting worse, the medical team will have had a baseline and if you have other pre-existing conditions they will be in a better position to deal with your worsening condition.