Visconti Palace Hotel

On the advice of our travel agent, we've already booked a room at the Modigliani Hotel for next year. It's a small family run hotel tucked near the Spanish Steps, and we can walk to most of the attractions we want to see. Breakfast is included in the price, and it was reasonable. We have one of their superior rooms with a wrap around terrace. You might want to check them out if you'd like to sample Rome as close to a native as possible.

Rome is a huge city and there isn't a chance you can walk it all. :D We have visited there at least a dozen times, with stays of at least 3 -6 days each and still have not seen everything we want to see...... though we have returned repeatedly to favorite sites.

Sorry GN, I forgot to add that when we looked at our precruise with HAL and the price, we could stay at a nicer hotel (IMO) and still save money.

In fact we stayed at a historical Palazzo with only 12 rooms and it's own private water dock. Even with the water taxi, upgraded accomodations, we still saved big $$$ for our two days before the cruise when we compared it to HAL's precruise prices;) JMO and our experience though

Sorry GN, I forgot to add that when we looked at our precruise with HAL and the price, we could stay at a nicer hotel (IMO) and still save money.

In fact we stayed at a historical Palazzo with only 12 rooms and it's own private water dock. Even with the water taxi, upgraded accomodations, we still saved big $$$ for our two days before the cruise when we compared it to HAL's precruise prices;) JMO and our experience though

Kazu.... Are you thinking of beautiful Venice vs. Rome? :confused: :D Both are fabulously, out of this world wonderful IMO

We stayed at the Visconti Palace during a HAL pre-cruise package and found it to be very satisfactory. We thought the location was fine for us, as we used Rick Steves' Rome tour book for seeing Rome on our own. We walked just about everywhere and thought that the hotel was fairly centrally located for most of the places we wanted to see/visit. We would stay there again if we ever return to Rome. Hope this helps! Have a great cruise. :)

Kazu.... Are you thinking of beautiful Venice vs. Rome? :confused: :D Both are fabulously, out of this world wonderful IMO

oops - I was when I mentioned the water taxi :eek: but the same applies for Rome (less water taxi). We are doing the same thing this year in Rome and another palazzo and paying less than HAL ;) I prefer to choose my places to stay - a great hotel with great staff really sets you up for the cruise.

Sorry for the water taxi reference.

I would search the Ports Italy board and if you can't find any reviews or comments then post your question there. here is the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

Thank you very much for your helpful suggestion! I appreciate it. :)

And I apologize to you, kazu, and to all others here on CC whom I have offended in any way, shape or form. :o

Thank you very much for your helpful suggestion! I appreciate it. :)

And I apologize to you, kazu, and to all others here on CC whom I have offended in any way, shape or form. :o

We are all here to help each other - that's what it's all about:)

oops - I was when I mentioned the water taxi :eek: but the same applies for Rome (less water taxi). We are doing the same thing this year in Rome and another palazzo and paying less than HAL ;) I prefer to choose my places to stay - a great hotel with great staff really sets you up for the cruise.

Sorry for the water taxi reference.

There were a few times years ago when we used the HAL hotel or transfers for expediency but we now almost always choose our own hotels and travel arrangements.

Yes, I have stayed at the Visconti Palace and found the rooms to be very clean with good bathrooms and toiletries. The staff were most pleasant and helpful with a breakfast room that was spacious and with a very good breakfast buffet. The hotel is within easy walking distance of many sights, particularly if one is interested in the Vatican and the Vatican Museum. Several good restaurants are located nearby. (And the two that I tried did not take traveler's checks.)

Another thought: If one of the hotels that is available is the Crowne Plaza, be cautious. The bus to the airport stopped there after picking me up and the guests boarding had much to say about the hotel and its location, very little of which was positive.

If you are looking for a hotel in close proximity to the Vatican I can recommend Hotel Santa Anna on the Borgo Pio(134). It is less than 2 blocks to front door of St. Peter's, is on a "walking street" and relatively quiet at night for Rome. Beautiful little boutique hotel, close to neighborhood trattorias.

Also if one is eligible to use it, the USO is about 1 block away. (Via Vespasiano 44)

We were stationed about an hour south of Rome for 3 years and many of our friends and relatives (and myself) have stayed at Hotel Santa Anna and loved it.

Yes, I have stayed at the Visconti Palace and found the rooms to be very clean with good bathrooms and toiletries. The staff were most pleasant and helpful with a breakfast room that was spacious and with a very good breakfast buffet. The hotel is within easy walking distance of many sights, particularly if one is interested in the Vatican and the Vatican Museum. Several good restaurants are located nearby. (And the two that I tried did not take traveler's checks.)

I have read about the breakfast buffet, which, I understand, is included with the HAL pre-cruise package at this hotel. I find no reference to dinner being served at this hotel. So, does this hotel have a restaurant for dinner too? I don't believe that traveller's cheques are accepted outside of North America, even in the currency of the country.

I don't recall that it had a restaurant for dinner - at least I don't think it did when we were there in 2006. There were several really nice restaurants close by. I particularly remember a pizza restauant we really enjoyed - we may have even gone there a couple of times. Another thing to factor in is the transfers that are included. The port (Civitavecchia) is quite a distance from Rome, so the HAL transfer was convenient and stress-free.

Several years ago we stayed there after a HAL cruise. Our TA booked it privately for a lot less money than HAL was charging. But we used the HAL transfer service to get to the hotel - very convenient. We had been to Rome several times before and knew where the hotel was located in reference to what we wanted to see and do. There is a nice pizza restaurant (I think San Marco) just a few blocks away going toward the Vatican. Rooms were nice and in quiet location. Breakfast buffet is fine.

I have read about the breakfast buffet, which, I understand, is included with the HAL pre-cruise package at this hotel. I find no reference to dinner being served at this hotel. So, does this hotel have a restaurant for dinner too? I don't believe that traveller's cheques are accepted outside of North America, even in the currency of the country.

There was no dinner service at the hotel. But, as others have also said, there are plenty of other nice establishments close to the hotel.

I had Euro denominated traveler's checks. The hotel would cash them for an unacceptable fee. I was able to cash them at the Vatican Bank. The Bank also charged a fee, but it was less than what the hotel wanted. (I do not recall the exact amount of the fees. Sorry.)

GeriatricNurse,

We stayed at the Visconti Palace as part of a HAL package in 2008, before a trans-Atlantic to Ft. Lauderdale. We found it comfortable, clean, efficient and conveniently located.

The breakfast buffet was exceptional for Rome. There was not a hotel restaurant for dinner, but they had a bar which served snacks. As others have posted, there are many ristoranti/trattorie nearby.

Full disclosure -- we lived in Italy for 6 years, including 4 months in Rome itself, and I speak Italian (not at all native fluently, but idiomatically Southern Italian). I think you have to determine what is your comfort zone. The Visconti Palace is excellent for English-only speakers who may not be that confident in a World City, especially if it is your first time. If you are more energetic and confident, there are many options -- Rome is a fabulous city and one of my favorites, and you can find all kinds of special experiences there.

Others have recommended boutique hotels, or other places. If we were not on a cruise package, we probably would have stayed at the Grand Hotel Flora (now a Marriott, and a personal sentimental choice, having spent my 4 months in Rome as resident there) or the Eliseo (a more modest place, but excellently located, that we have used before.) Both are on/near the "top" of the Via Veneto, and cater more or less to foreign visitors.

But, we found the Visconti Palace more than adequate, and nicely located, and we had no problems with it for a few nights pre-cruise.

Dave

GeriatricNurse,

We stayed at the Visconti Palace as part of a HAL package in 2008, before a trans-Atlantic to Ft. Lauderdale. We found it comfortable, clean, efficient and conveniently located.

The breakfast buffet was exceptional for Rome. There was not a hotel restaurant for dinner, but they had a bar which served snacks. As others have posted, there are many ristoranti/trattorie nearby.

Full disclosure -- we lived in Italy for 6 years, including 4 months in Rome itself, and I speak Italian (not at all native fluently, but idiomatically Southern Italian). I think you have to determine what is your comfort zone. The Visconti Palace is excellent for English-only speakers who may not be that confident in a World City, especially if it is your first time. If you are more energetic and confident, there are many options -- Rome is a fabulous city and one of my favorites, and you can find all kinds of special experiences there.

Others have recommended boutique hotels, or other places. If we were not on a cruise package, we probably would have stayed at the Grand Hotel Flora (now a Marriott, and a personal sentimental choice, having spent my 4 months in Rome as resident there) or the Eliseo (a more modest place, but excellently located, that we have used before.) Both are on/near the "top" of the Via Veneto, and cater more or less to foreign visitors.

But, we found the Visconti Palace more than adequate, and nicely located, and we had no problems with it for a few nights pre-cruise.

Dave

Dave, your post above is one of the finest posts I have read on Cruise Critic. Thank you!

GeriatricNurse,

Dave

Dave, thank you very much for the information. I appreciate it. :) I have contacted the Visconti Palace Hotel, who responded to indicate that during the summer months, there ia a "special" BBQ, from 7:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m., on the rooftop terrace of the hotel, which sounds quite interesting! It would be a perfect place to dine & be able to oversee the evening skyline of Rome! :) Also, there is a restaurant, "L'Antico Porto" adjacent to the hotel.

Archived