Silver Explorer Antarctica: Men's Attire

ShyOne60

For those people who have been on the "old" Prince Albert II to Antarctica, on the nights where they have the welcome and farewell dinners, are any type of sportscoats and ties appropriate for the men, or is a dark-colored jacket more often worn? Just thinking ahead.....

Many thanks in advance.

For those people who have been on the "old" Prince Albert II to Antarctica, on the nights where they have the welcome and farewell dinners, are any type of sportscoats and ties appropriate for the men, or is a dark-colored jacket more often worn? Just thinking ahead.....

Many thanks in advance.

I just looked at pictures from the Captain's welcome dinner, courtesy of Kristine Hannon who is a fantastic photographer!

More men were wearing dark jackets than lighter colored jackets. Maybe half of the men wore ties. There were some in buttondown shirts, sweaters, or polo shirts without jackets.

PAII was quite informal. Never once got the feeling that anyone was worrying about what kind of clothing was appropriate. I got the feeling that most wore jackets because of the temperature and not to be dressed up. Would recommend you bring what's most comfortable, or easiest to pack, and you'll probably be fine.

• 10 months later...

Men's bomber jackets, motocross jackets and distressed leather jackets are among the popular varieties of men's sport coats. Motocross jackets typically fall to the waist and have metal hardware and zippered pockets; they are designed to have a tight fit. So you should try this one.

There were definitely evenings where jackets were more the norm for men. But I did not see any tuxedos and don't recall seeing many suits. Generally, slacks and collared shirts or sweaters were the typical men's attire for evening. It's a more casual ship than the rest of the Silversea fleet.

As an aside, it is a fantastic trip - you will love it!

I think a recurring theme in theses responses it that people just "don't recall" how people were dressed. The cruise is so laid back, you can wear nearly anything and still fit in.

On our cruise, there was one gentleman who wore a tux for the Captain's Farewell Dinner. I'm sure he felt as comfortable in his tux as others did in jackets, sweaters, etc. Personally, I wore a blue blazer. I generally travel in my blazer as it has plenty of pockets for boarding passes, baggage claim tickets and it can be worn with everything from shorts to jeans to dress pants. But, that's just me.

Main thing is to enjoy your trip. You will never experience anything else like it on this planet.

Most people just wore what they wished to at dinner. It went from people very dressed up to just slacks and a shirt. I would take whatever you feel comfortable with - no one is looking at people on this trip - the scenery is too spectacular. Even during dinner if wildlife - in our case a pod of humpback whales - is sighted the dinner service stops and everyone (including the crew) goes out to the decks as the captain slows the ship down. You may be spending dinner hour outside on the deck and then coming back to eat later. So remember to take your hat/gloves and Silversea jacket with you to dinner so you can be ready to run outside. And of course your camera.

Archived