Alaska Northbound 25 May - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly!

Plummy

Having completed our cruise to Alaska, I wanted to thank those who helped us with our planning and give some information to those who are still in their planning stages. We travelled from the UK to Vancouver on Regent flights with BA, deviating on the return. They put us up in the Sutton Place Hotel in Vancouver. We had a Navigator suite on the 9th deck. Did the following excursions:

Ketchikan - private combination tour with Southeast Sea Kayaks kayaking and floatplane to Misty Fjords (excellent)

Tracy Arm - Allen Marine catamaran from the ship

Juneau - Helicopter glacier trek cancelled due to bad weather so Mendenhall explorer instead

Skagway - White Pass scenic railroad & Ghosts and Goodtime girls walking tour

Sitka - Allen Marine Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest

On disembarking, we took the train from Seward to Anchorage where we did a Segway tour before flying to Seattle on Continental. Stayed overnight at Cedarbrook lodge in Seattle before spending the day sightseeing and an overnight flight with BA back to Heathrow.

Please feel free to ask if you want more info on any of the above but my summary of the trip is as follows:

Good

• Alaska is amazing! Saw more wildlife than expected including bears on 3 occasions (and did not do a bear watching tour!); whales, bald eagles, porpoises and sea lions from the ship; sea otters, Arctic Terns, Moose, harbour Seals, starfish and Sun Stars plus a Golden Eagle on excursions.
  • Allen Marine are an excellent company, both the Tracy Arm trip and the Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest were highlights of our trip
  • Thank you to the person who suggested the The Alaska Cruise Handbook with the map (and the person who suggested the fridge magnets). Having the map on the wall of the cabin enabled us to track our journey and be prepared for points of interest listed along the way.
  • Navigator Suite - definitely worth the extra money if you can afford it. We spent a lot of time in our room and on the balcony. Having dinner served course by course, watching the sunset and the porpoises as we sailed out of Skagway, was priceless.
  • Crew capers - one of the best bits of entertainment on the cruise
  • White pass train ride - a surprisingly good excursion, lots to see including a black bear right alongside the track!(Picture attached) Overall we were very impressed by the quality of the excursions
  • Stone massage in Canyon Ranch
  • Cody the Assistant Cruise Director was very talented and his Rock and Roll night was a lively affair.

Bad

• The quality of the food was inconsistent - some great meals some not so good
  • The Naturalist was terrible - she had a monotone voice and read from scripts. Totally lacked any passion compared to the naturalists from Allen Marine. Very disappointing as the wildlife was a key element for us on an Alaskan cruise
  • Surly staff, as Tallships has mentioned, some were excellent but others really need to question why they work in a customer facing role!
  • Errors on the bill and inability to put it right - check and double check your account:
    • Complimentary pressing of clothes on night one is provided in a Navigator suite, we were then charged for it
    • Paid £266 (in sterling on the credit card several months before the trip) for the helicopter trek that was subsequently cancelled - refund given as $266!

[*]It took 3 attempts to get my account correct including the last morning when instead of enjoying my breakfast, I was yet again trying to explain the difference between dollars and sterling to the staff and why they couldn't simply swap one for the other! Also be aware that this is an American company that may market globally but have no concept of how to serve their international customers. Refunds are given in dollars cash (or a US cheque) which when expensive tours are cancelled adds up to a lot of money which we then have to pay to convert back to UK currency. They should refund to a credit card in sterling.

[*]Check and double check everything - Regent adopts a mass market mindset when disembarking. You are asked to complete a form with your preference in terms of where you want your bags to go etc, this is then totally ignored. Check when you receive your coloured tags that they mean what you think they do e.g. we received black tags which we believed meant they were going to the Hilton Hotel as requested, it actually meant they were going to the airport

Ugly

This was the most surprising aspect of this holiday to us All Inclusive = Booze Cruise! We had to put up with some appalling bad language from two middle aged American women at the table next to us in Compass Rose one night as they had clearly drunk too much. We were also woken up with prank telephone calls in the early hours, again by those who were clearly intoxicated.

This was our first time in Alaska and our first time with Regent. Alaska was amazing and as a result we are glad that we made the decision to go to Alaska. Regent however, did not live up to our expectations and we will not be travelling with them again.

IMG_1504_1_1.jpg.1304493f83ea0d05f41efe93b242b228.jpg

IMG_2154_4_1.jpg.a1a22c9b09ff65cf5b1aa0da19029167.jpg

IMG_1763_1_1.jpg.703713b0ed015f739fdbce26d9a6275c.jpg

IMG_2017_2_1.jpg.2e7a9d66bc3d055c33c8f7b1e43ad21f.jpg

Interesting. We have cruised with Regent many times on all three ships, including two Alaska cruises. We have never experienced inapropriate behavior by passengers or surly attitude by staff and are looking forward to our next; a 19 night cruise from Sydney to Singapore in February. I feel badly for your bad experience and hope that you give Regent another another chance in the future. In my experience, what you experienced was an anomaly.

Good review. Sounds like Regent needs to find a good second naturalist for when Terry Breen is not onboard.

As for disembarking, why should the bags go to Hilton versus airport? You flew out same day. Since you were on Regent air they do everything they can so you don't have to handle your bags at all.

I hope you included the surly staff on comment card; especially midweek comment card. As for the drunks, I hope you called guest relations and broght this issue up to Hotel Director.

WRT food, which cruise line would you compare the food to?

Thanks for your review. We made the Alaska trip on Mariner before all inclusive alcohol or excursions so things have changed a lot.

Enjoyed reading your post - our good, bad and ugly is so very consistent with what you experienced

We too had surly experiences with a small number of staff; the front desk staff are hit and miss. It was also interesting to see a fair bit of tipping quite openly on the ship. As I posted, there was a loud argument in the hallway outside our room at 2 am between a couple and could have been alcohol was involved.

Agree about your observations re: Allen Marine - terrific tour operator

It was also interesting to see a fair bit of tipping quite openly on the ship.

If there is open tipping on ship in middle of cruise, I would head to hotel director. That is mainline going to far. They are putting the crew in untenable spot. If the crew are unhesitantly accepting, that definitely should be reported. That can lead to uneven service.

Dear Plummy,

As we are boarding on Wednesday, would you feel comfortable alerting us to what foods you did not prefer? I can stay away from clear dislikes on the menus, but if its bad prep . . .I'd like to not take my chances.

And as for open tipping - boy, that is a surprises. I wasn't expecting this. As a hard core Sea Dream cruiser we are used to contributing to a crew welfare fund, tipping our cabin attendant and if truly exception service is rendered (such as a special party, etc) a discrete tip. But not open. From the responses of other posters - this is not standard Regent practice?

thanks so much for the info.

FT

We have taken two Regent Alaska cruises within the past three years. Tallship (I think) mentioned that approximately 80% of passengers were first timers on Regent. Although they were sailing on a luxury ship, it sounds like they did not look into the differences between HAL/Princess, etc. and Regent. Had they done so, they would hae known about the tipping policy (even if you do tip for extraordinary service to one person or give to the crew fund, it is definitely not done on a regular basis or in front of passengers).

When Terry Breen is not on board, it is just not the same. We had another naturalist on board that was a wealth of information but had a monotone voice that put us to sleep.

In terms of drunkenness, it sounds like some people have not been around open bars in their lives and do know how to act in a luxury all-inclusive environment. The only place I have seen an Regent passenger who may have had too much to drink is at a bar late as night.

Stories about the Alaska cruises on Regent have indicated that the experience on board bears little resemblance to a typical Regent cruise. It reminds me of something I learned in Europe last week. The following is not meant as a put down to anyone . . . . just differences in culture.

Cruiselines are heavily advertising to the Chinese. They are taking lessons on learning courtesy and the culture of the people they will be in contact with. At this time, new cruisers are not aware of how to dress and may come to dinner in pajamas. A women that worked in a hotel said that it was not uncommon for a man to come to the front desk in his underwear to ask for another towel, more water, etc. It is also common for Chinese to take masses of food from the buffet and leave most of it on the plate.

Looking forward to hearing stories from the rest of the Alaska cruises. Especially the ones when there is 100 children on boared who may or may not be supervised by their parents.

Dear Plummy,

As we are boarding on Wednesday, would you feel comfortable alerting us to what foods you did not prefer? I can stay away from clear dislikes on the menus, but if its bad prep . . .I'd like to not take my chances.

And as for open tipping - boy, that is a surprises. I wasn't expecting this. As a hard core Sea Dream cruiser we are used to contributing to a crew welfare fund, tipping our cabin attendant and if truly exception service is rendered (such as a special party, etc) a discrete tip. But not open. From the responses of other posters - this is not standard Regent practice?

FT

That is a difficult one to answer as it wasn't consistent. Overall, we found the Compass Rose to have the best food, more often. In the room we had one dinner that was fabulous, and another that was just OK. Breakfast in the room followed a similar pattern, the same items ordered on one day would be cooked beautifully another day overcooked and dry. The pool grill does a great burger but the hot items on the buffet were often cold, as was the stew. Breakfast in La Veranda was a bit chaotic but we had a nice dinner there one night in a very relaxed atmosphere (salmon in puff pastry on the carvery). I had a breakfast steak in Compass Rose one morning and it was beautiful. The Baked Alaska in the Compass Rose was also memorable.

As for tipping we did not see this happen so cannot comment.

As for disembarking, why should the bags go to Hilton versus airport? You flew out same day. Since you were on Regent air they do everything they can so you don't have to handle your bags at all.

Why ask us where we want our bags to go and then ignore us? I wouldn't be happy leaving my bags at the airport in an unlocked room for 4 hours, but more importantly we had a tour going from the Hilton which would have been much more convenient.

Enjoyed reading your post - our good, bad and ugly is so very consistent with what you experienced

Agree about your observations re: Allen Marine - terrific tour operator

From reading your report, it seems we shared many experiences together but don't think we ever met!

Thanks for a well balanced report! The information on excursions was helpful and confirmed what we had heard elsewhere. I am optimistic that Terry Breen will be on our 8/23/2011 sailing...would anyone out there know for sure?

Food is so subjective but I appreciate your comments. It helps to manage expectations.

It has been my experience that some people will "over consume" regardless of cash or open bar.

Interesting. We have cruised with Regent many times on all three ships, including two Alaska cruises. We have never experienced inapropriate behavior by passengers or surly attitude by staff and are looking forward to our next; a 19 night cruise from Sydney to Singapore in February. I feel badly for your bad experience and hope that you give Regent another another chance in the future. In my experience, what you experienced was an anomaly.

We were on the May 13-25 Alaska sailing on the Navigator and did not experience any bad behavior from the guests or a surly attitude from any of the staff.

Wow. Just wow. With our first Regent cruise coming up August 31, and final payment made last week, I did a big gulp when I read this. This combined with quite honestly the negative "nature" I find in general here on the Regent board, has me feeling quite uncomfortable about now.

When 555lavan1t said this was an anomaly and hoped that the OP would give Regent another chance, I know it was well-meaning, but honestly, this is not a small chunk of change (at least to us it isn't) and there are lots of good cruise products out there, so why after spending that sum of money and having bad experiences would you give another chance? I probably wouldn't.

I canceled a Crystal Alaskan cruise after running the numbers and finding that Regent was a better deal considering it's all inclusive nature. We also liked the idea of non-formality for Alaska. I took all this into consideration, even though we love Crystal, and booked the Regent cruise. I sure as heck hope I don't regret it.

I've certainly never run across a surly server on Crystal. Heck, for that matter, I've never run across a surly server on a mass cruise-line. And when I hear such things by more than one person, independent of each other, that gets my attention. Quickly. :eek:

Terry Breen will be back on the Navigator on June 29 for the rest of the season so Debmarie should not have a lecturer problem.

I hope that the people who had issues with the staff and other things - went to see the GM or as minimum said something on both the mid trip and final evaluation forms.

I also hope that if there was noise in the corridors during the night, the front desk was notified IMMEDIATELY. And the same for the prank calls since I'm sure the calls can be traced.

Although tipping is included, some passengers chose to tip - there is no rule against it but it is unnecessary unless someone does something above and beyond their job. Making a contribution to the Crew Welfare Fund is always an option.

TC2 and tallship both refereed to the atypical passenger make up on the Alaska cruises - very few repeaters. Not an excuse - just a fact. I am not disputing what Plummy wrote, I'm just saying that this is NOT how the passengers on other regent cruises behave on any regent cruise I have been on.

Mimito4, we are also on the August 31st Alaska cruise and paid the balance this past week as well. We have cruised with Regent on many cruises (on all the ships) and we have never experienced what Plummy had (sorry to hear that she did). Don't get buyer's remorse. You will go and have a great time and we think you will come away a fan of Regent. It looks like we'll have a good group from CC and we are looking forward to meeting everyone. Linda & Larry in NJ

Wow. Just wow. With our first Regent cruise coming up August 31, and final payment made last week, I did a big gulp when I read this. This combined with quite honestly the negative "nature" I find in general here on the Regent board, has me feeling quite uncomfortable about now.

When 555lavan1t said this was an anomaly and hoped that the OP would give Regent another chance, I know it was well-meaning, but honestly, this is not a small chunk of change (at least to us it isn't) and there are lots of good cruise products out there, so why after spending that sum of money and having bad experiences would you give another chance? I probably wouldn't.

I canceled a Crystal Alaskan cruise after running the numbers and finding that Regent was a better deal considering it's all inclusive nature. We also liked the idea of non-formality for Alaska. I took all this into consideration, even though we love Crystal, and booked the Regent cruise. I sure as heck hope I don't regret it.

I've certainly never run across a surly server on Crystal. Heck, for that matter, I've never run across a surly server on a mass cruise-line. And when I hear such things by more than one person, independent of each other, that gets my attention. Quickly. :eek:

You are fortunate to be going on the Alaska cruise at the end of the season. Children and their parents will be back to school. Regent regulars tend to sail in May and August 31st and beyond. The crew will probably be thrilled that the Alaska season is about over and will be able to give their typical Regent service.

I appreciate this review very much. In 150 days on Regent I've never encountered a surley crew member. A bad hair day once or twice, but never surley. That is not to say I doubt one bit this report. I hope and trust the offenders were reported by name. I've been consistently pleased with the quality of the food on Regent but when it comes to food I'm an easy sell. There isn't a fast food joint that doesn't entice me. While Terry Breen (and Sandra Bowern) sets a really high standard for Regent, they really should try to match it on an extended itinerary like Alaska. Sorry that didn't happen this summer. On the alcohol consumption issue I'm with Marc 100%.

Terry Breen will be back on the Navigator on June 29 for the rest of the season so Debmarie should not have a lecturer problem.

That is what we understand as well so all should be good on that front

I hope that the people who had issues with the staff and other things - went to see the GM or as minimum said something on both the mid trip and final evaluation forms.

I spoke with the Concierge and wrote the specifics on my evaluation form

I also hope that if there was noise in the corridors during the night, the front desk was notified IMMEDIATELY. And the same for the prank calls since I'm sure the calls can be traced.

Security was called

Although tipping is included, some passengers chose to tip - there is no rule against it but it is unnecessary unless someone does something above and beyond their job. Making a contribution to the Crew Welfare Fund is always an option.

I and others saw tipping happening quite openly

TC2 and tallship both refereed to the atypical passenger make up on the Alaska cruises - very few repeaters. Not an excuse - just a fact. I am not disputing what Plummy wrote, I'm just saying that this is NOT how the passengers on other regent cruises behave on any regent cruise I have been on.

Plummy's experience is very much in line with what I experienced. Our next door neighbors also had similar reports. I must repeat that these things are not huge turn offs to me or else I would not book again- these are issues that are correctable and I hope Regent will take note

I responded above .....

I am optimistic that Terry Breen will be on our 8/23/2011 sailing...would anyone out there know for sure?

debmarie, I received Terry's monthly email last week and in it she said she would be on board the Navigator in a few weeks. So hopefully unless something unforeseen happens, she will be on when you go.

Wow, I think these newbies need to be educated about the tipping policies. I really like that tipping is taken care of--I don't want that culture to change on Regent, if I'm going to be cruising.

Can you imagine someone, first day of cruise, slipping a $50 to one of the waiters on the pool deck to make sure that his drink is never empty. This pool waiter then "camps out" near his benefactor thus slighting his normally good service to all on the pool deck. That is why I don't like tipping and I think it needs to be reported and curtailed. Otherwise, we just need to report the waiter who, unfortunately, has been put in an untenable situation by accepting the tip.

Archived