*** The ALL NEW RCI Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

Welcome home Dave.

I think the Mouse comes in first, then Princess comes when Mouse leaves. As noted above, Mariner arrives 11-11-11. I think Magic comes in close to Mariner's arrival. Exciting season for Galveston - just think of all the departures to watch. But dang it you just know that Magic is going to block Mariner at the pier!

Thanks for the list Dylan.

Welcome home Dave.

I think the Mouse comes in first, then Princess comes when Mouse leaves. As noted above, Mariner arrives 11-11-11. I think Magic comes in close to Mariner's arrival. Exciting season for Galveston - just think of all the departures to watch. But dang it you just know that Magic is going to block Mariner at the pier!

Thanks for the list Dylan.

Lets all write the owners and marketing department of Galvez, Tremont, Harbor House to add a cam on roof top bar of Tremont Hotel in order to

watch Mariner and other ships that will be docking at both terminals of Galveston port in 2012.

It should be a win win situation and especially for marketing exposure for The Tremont Hotel

which is two blocks from port terminals and with the roof top bar and observation decks on top of hotel!!!!!!!

There are wonderful couches to sit in up there! We were ther Saturday evening to watch fireworks and have a drink

after Art Walk! Great views of city and port!!!!!!!!!!

Christine Hopkins, Public Relations Manager

Mitchell Historic Properties

chopkins@mitchellfamilycorp.com

(409) 457-1055

mgarrett@MGAProductions.com

Texasteen - Sign me up!! I have always loved reading this thread. Don't post often for afraid of getting slammed, but love to read it. DH and I are going on the Mariner 11-2-12 out of Rome to Galveston and and the Magic on 2-5-11 as I really want to see the Magic.

Texasteen - Sign me up!! I have always loved reading this thread. Don't post often for afraid of getting slammed, but love to read it. DH and I are going on the Mariner 11-2-12 out of Rome to Galveston and and the Magic on 2-5-11 as I really want to see the Magic.

We will be with you on Rome to Galveston!

When it gets close in time we will coordinate meeting if you like?

If you haven't go to

Roll Calls - Mariner -

paperclip.gif firstnew.gif Roma--Galveston Nov 2 2012

We love Cruise Critic and this thread!!!:D:D

Thanks for the thread Dylan!:D

WELCOME BACK RANCHER DAVE!!!!!!

Aggie - post away, no slamming allowed on this thread. Well.....ok, I'm a Longhorn so I may have to slam you for other reasons ;) but not for cruising.

ssb - thanks for the idea. We almost switched from Galvez to Tremont this next cruise but found when it came down to it, we love our Galvez. But I would like to check out their roof top bar at Tremont!

Here is everyone in our new group so far:

• BecciBoo
  • BillOH
  • BonTXNY
  • CGBCruiser
  • Cindy
  • crazy 4 cruising
  • crazy4themouse
  • cynt
  • Daisy May
  • DeepWaterMariner
  • enidcruiser
  • Galveston Cruiser
  • GCurry
  • geoblond
  • golfpccc
  • hawlcruiser
  • klingoncruiser
  • LisaH
  • mcca2
  • MichelleChell
  • mirka972
  • pscruzinboyz
  • pspercy
  • Rancher Dave
  • ssb
  • Texas_firefighter
  • TEXASMUNK
  • Texas Teen
  • time4u2go
  • Turtle_lover
  • TxBubba
  • txskier
  • Woe is me
  • wolfganghowell
  • wrp96

You can actually fit the list of everyone onto one screen! :eek:

Hello everyone....Texas Teen....please include me in your new thread. I guess I was deleted from the old thread:D;)

Can hardly wait until we get all the new ships in Galveston. Have the Mariner booked b2b--12/4 & 12/11. Will check out Carnival Magic in Jan. We love sailing out of Galveston--no flying and just convenient.
Which Magic Cruise in Jan.? We're onboard the 15th.

ssb - thanks for the idea. We almost switched from Galvez to Tremont this next cruise but found when it came down to it, we love our Galvez. But I would like to check out their roof top bar at Tremont!
Starting probably in 82 or 83, George Mitchell bought that block and started construction of the Tremont, the third hotel by that name in Galveston History. I believe that it was the second Tremont where Sam Houston gave his farewell address from a balcony when Texas seceded from the Union at the start of the Civil war. But of course, you knew that!:)

Anyway, an old mercantile took up most of it with a small hotel on the corner of 23rd. At one point they had to prop up the walls from the outside, as the construction was about to cause them to fall out in the street.:eek:

We stayed there last Jan., the rooms are beautiful in a unique property if you can get a good rate. I've enjoyed that rooftop bar a time or two myself. Cynthia, George's wife had him get the street name changed from Mechanic to Ship's Mechanic Row. This was about the time that they thought that Harborside sounded better than Port Industrial.:rolleyes: Along with the hotel, George jump started Galveston Mardi Gras which had been dormant since the 60s.

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for posting the new thread. Have not posted on the old one for a while but will try to stay up to date on this one. I did see the RancherDave was in Singapore for his Legend cruise and I hope they are having a wonderful time.

Looking forward to Sunday mornings and watching the Mariner come up the channel. I will be saying goodbye to Voyager (boo-hoo)in August with my cruise out of Venice. I have become quite attached to the old girl. Still I wish her Bon Voyage and hope the Aussies enjoy her as much as we have.

Good luck with the new thread. :)

Kate - it's Nancy & Buddy from the Viva Voyagers TA in '08. We have booked the Mariner TA from Rome to Galveston 11/2/12. Join us. We'd love to see you again.

Which Magic Cruise in Jan.? We're onboard the 15th.

Starting probably in 82 or 83, George Mitchell bought that block and started construction of the Tremont, the third hotel by that name in Galveston History. I believe that it was the second Tremont where Sam Houston gave his farewell address from a balcony when Texas seceded from the Union at the start of the Civil war. But of course, you knew that!:)

Anyway, an old mercantile took up most of it with a small hotel on the corner of 23rd. At one point they had to prop up the walls from the outside, as the construction was about to cause them to fall out in the street.:eek:

We stayed there last Jan., the rooms are beautiful in a unique property if you can get a good rate. I've enjoyed that rooftop bar a time or two myself. Cynthia, George's wife had him get the street name changed from Mechanic to Ship's Mechanic Row. This was about the time that they thought that Harborside sounded better than Port Industrial.:rolleyes: Along with the hotel, George jump started Galveston Mardi Gras which had been dormant since the 60s.

Love your history fun facts posts and your Mark Twain quote :) Galveston sure has a rich history.

Few more hours in Shanghai.

Hope cruisers planning on sailing from here like smog...my allergies are going crazy here but at least 5 days on the cruise I didn't need my allergy medicine so that was nice.

I will probably write the review while in the air...it's only a 14 hour flight to Toronto. :D

Hope the Shanghai cruise terminal gets several logistics sorted out before the Voyager comes in...luggage was a total nightmare for the Legend on Saturday.

Afternoon everyone :) Anyone familiar with Galveston can you tell me what type of food Kokomos has? We tried to get a menu but that is another story...LOL

Haven't a clue as it is a bar/restaurant at the Holiday Inn. Too many good restaurants on the island to eat at a hotel.

Starting probably in 82 or 83, George Mitchell bought that block and started construction of the Tremont

I worked for Mitchell Energy at the time he and Cynthia started their re-building of Galveston and spent many a day here going through properties and evaluating progress. Same with the development of Pirates Beach and Cove.

The Tremont had the Wentletrap restaurant at one time, A project of Cynthia's. Unfortunately it didn't last. Coats for men and skirts for ladies were mandatory:( Today, it is only manadatory to have "dress" flip flops, though the Pelican Club does require men to have jackets (which can be removed once they are seated).

Hi guys from Le Grande, Oregon. It was an interesting drive up from Winnemucca, mostly on back roads. What a pretty day. We detoured 3 miles in for a historical point and found it was the grave of Jean Baptiste Charbonneau. This was the child born by Sacajawea when she was with Louis and Clark. They called him "Pompey". It was WAY out there in nowhere. Ya never know what you will find when on a roam. :D

I worked for Mitchell Energy at the time he and Cynthia started their re-building of Galveston and spent many a day here going through properties and evaluating progress. Same with the development of Pirates Beach and Cove.

The Tremont had the Wentletrap restaurant at one time, A project of Cynthia's. Unfortunately it didn't last. Coats for men and skirts for ladies were mandatory:( Today, it is only manadatory to have "dress" flip flops, though the Pelican Club does require men to have jackets (which can be removed once they are seated).

I remember the Wentletrap Restaurant...it was good and you did have to dress for dinner! Although when we went there, it was on the block behind the Tremont House and not in it.

Kate - it's Nancy & Buddy from the Viva Voyagers TA in '08. We have booked the Mariner TA from Rome to Galveston 11/2/12. Join us. We'd love to see you again.

Oh........the Promenade... Queen Nancy..... :) How are you guys? I booked that cruise on the 2010 Royal Voyagers TA, but canceled as I wanted to do another route. I am booked on the Jewel TA from Harwich to Boston 2012 via the Faroe Island's and Iceland............... It is a very popular ship so I had to book early.

I seem to remember you guys live in Florida so if you have any time at the end of your cruise please let me know as I would love to meet up again.

I remember the Wentletrap Restaurant...it was good and you did have to dress for dinner! Although when we went there, it was on the block behind the Tremont House and not in it.

Wentletrap was on Strand, but considered part of the Tremont Hotel.

Had to dress for lunch also:(

Archived