Alaskan Cruise with a 9 and 7-year old

TRAVELISMYTHING

We are doing the Celebrity Infinity Alaskan Cruise August 5th with my 9 and 7-year-old (boy and girl). First of all, we usually only do Disney Cruise Line, so I am a little apprehensive of the Celebrity kid's club and them/us enjoying an older ship. I assume with it being summer, there will be more kids on this typically "older cliental" cruise line. We are doing the Lumberjack show/indian village, gold panning/salmon bake and whale watching/glacier excursion, so I think those will be friendly excursions. Any feedback to make me feel better about these choices or our cruise from those who have done this cruise or cruise line with kids will be helpful!

I cruised Alaska on Royal Caribbean 2 years ago with my children aged 4, 11 and 13. We enjoyed it much more than any of our Caribbean cruises. There were a lot of active activities that we did and enjoyed. I'm going back on Princess this summer just with my 6 year old. We're going on a b2b. Even though we'll hit each port twice, there are still too many things that I want to do. We'll have to go back a third time.

I am just wondering why you are concerned about Infinity being an 'older' ship? Disney Magic and Wonder were launched in 1998,1999 respectively. Celebrity Infinity was launched in 2001. EM

I am just wondering why you are concerned about Infinity being an 'older' ship? Disney Magic and Wonder were launched in 1998,1999 respectively. Celebrity Infinity was launched in 2001. EM

I'm assuming that by "older" she means a ship that is geared towards an older age group.

We cruised Holland to AK when DD was 6. It definately had 'older' people on the ship in general. DD had a wonderful time. The kids center was fabulous.

We cruised to Alaska on Princess with our daughters when they were 10 and almost 4 and had a wonderful time. We have cruised Disney, Princess twice, Holland America and this summer will be going on Celebrity. Of the cruise lines that we have already sailed my daughters actually prefer Princess over Disney. I think that you will find cruising in Alaska rather than the Caribbean that the ports of call are more important to you than the ship that you are on. Personally, I wouldn't want to cruise in Alaska or Europe on Disney and have the kids focussed on Mickey Mouse rather than experiencing the place that we are visiting.

Having said that there were plenty of kids on our cruise to Alaska. Both of my daughters enjoyed the kids club and found plenty of friends to play/hang out with. I was also quite impressed with the activities in the kids club which tended to have an Alaskan theme and were, therefore, somewhat educational. Princess also had a park ranger in the kids club on the day that we were in Glacier Bay (I'm not sure whether or not Celebrity does the same thing). There may be fewer kids on Celebrity than on some of the other mainstream cruiselines but during summer vacation there should be plenty for your children to have playmates.

Our ports of call were Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. We also did a cruisetour for 5 days after the cruise that went as far north as Fairbanks. Anything that had to do with wildlife or sled dogs was a big hit with my girls. If your kids like animals and being outdoors then they will love Alaska!

I have an Alaska page on my blog with photos and a detailed description of what our family did in Alaska that you are welcome to look at if you like. The link to my blog 'Gone With the Family' is in my signature.

Lisa

We cruised to Alaska on Princess with our daughters when they were 10 and almost 4 and had a wonderful time. We have cruised Disney, Princess twice, Holland America and this summer will be going on Celebrity. Of the cruise lines that we have already sailed my daughters actually prefer Princess over Disney. I think that you will find cruising in Alaska rather than the Caribbean that the ports of call are more important to you than the ship that you are on. Personally, I wouldn't want to cruise in Alaska or Europe on Disney and have the kids focussed on Mickey Mouse rather than experiencing the place that we are visiting.

Having said that there were plenty of kids on our cruise to Alaska. Both of my daughters enjoyed the kids club and found plenty of friends to play/hang out with. I was also quite impressed with the activities in the kids club which tended to have an Alaskan theme and were, therefore, somewhat educational. Princess also had a park ranger in the kids club on the day that we were in Glacier Bay (I'm not sure whether or not Celebrity does the same thing). There may be fewer kids on Celebrity than on some of the other mainstream cruiselines but during summer vacation there should be plenty for your children to have playmates.

Our ports of call were Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. We also did a cruisetour for 5 days after the cruise that went as far north as Fairbanks. Anything that had to do with wildlife or sled dogs was a big hit with my girls. If your kids like animals and being outdoors then they will love Alaska!

I have an Alaska page on my blog with photos and a detailed description of what our family did in Alaska that you are welcome to look at if you like. The link to my blog 'Gone With the Family' is in my signature.

Lisa

Lisa, Thanks for your message. What a great blog! Looks like my kids are going to have a blast on this cruise based on what your family did!

I'm assuming that by "older" she means a ship that is geared towards an older age group.

We cruised Holland to AK when DD was 6. It definately had 'older' people on the ship in general. DD had a wonderful time. The kids center was fabulous.

I do mean "older" as in not as many kids. I am sure we are going to have a great time. Thanks for the replies. I would like a reply from someone who has traveled on Celebrity with kids. Anyone???

Great feedback....I think I'm "onboard" for Alaska!

We always have done tropical cruises, but I've been itching to go to Alaska. Both of my kids love animals of all kind being outdoors so I think they will have a great time. If we go, it would be next year and they would be 5 & 7. While, that is still pretty young, I almost think it would be better to go when they are still young just becuase of their love of animals and wildlife.

Now, I just have to convince DH.

We are doing the Celebrity Infinity Alaskan Cruise August 5th with my 9 and 7-year-old (boy and girl). First of all, we usually only do Disney Cruise Line, so I am a little apprehensive of the Celebrity kid's club and them/us enjoying an older ship. I assume with it being summer, there will be more kids on this typically "older cliental" cruise line. We are doing the Lumberjack show/indian village, gold panning/salmon bake and whale watching/glacier excursion, so I think those will be friendly excursions. Any feedback to make me feel better about these choices or our cruise from those who have done this cruise or cruise line with kids will be helpful!

The experience will differ from Disney but it should still be nice. We took our children to Alaska on Celebrity twice to Alaska when at ages similar to your children and on Celebrity other times. There won't be as many children as Disney but you will have a fair number of children and they have the children's programs for them.

Overall,the average age of the adults will be higher than that of Disney but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Keith

Sailed Disney years ago, just got back from the Disney world a few short days ago.

IMHO during summer there will be plenty of kids and an active kids club on almost all major lines. Now is Celebrity going to have rotating resturant, character themed shows, characters and all things mouse, NOPE. Can and will you have fun, I think so unless you are expecting Mouse experience to be why you are sailing alaska. My kids enjoyed the princess kids club last year hugely.

I think your tours / excursion look good. I didn't think my 10 year old would have enjoyed the whale watching, she had a blast.

Sailed Disney years ago, just got back from the Disney world a few short days ago.

IMHO during summer there will be plenty of kids and an active kids club on almost all major lines. Now is Celebrity going to have rotating resturant, character themed shows, characters and all things mouse, NOPE. Can and will you have fun, I think so unless you are expecting Mouse experience to be why you are sailing alaska. My kids enjoyed the princess kids club last year hugely.

I think your tours / excursion look good. I didn't think my 10 year old would have enjoyed the whale watching, she had a blast.

Thanks for the feedback. You are right, I am coming to the relization that Alaska is about the itineary/excursions, not about the ship/cruise line. I am definately not expecting characters and themed shows, just wanted to be sure I didn't feel uncomfortable with my kids there or that I had to "keep them quiet" or not let them have fun if they were bothering others if they were one of the few kids if you know what I mean. Luckily, my kids are pretty calm/not too wild. :)

As far as the excursions, I am glad to hear your daughter liked the whale excursion. That is the only one I was not sure about as it sounds like it could be "boring" to a kids, but it sounds like a once in a lifetime experience to me.

Archived