From Bermuda: Some Random Notes

Host Caroline

Just a few observations and will post more or answer questions when I return but will perhaps add to this anything that I haven't seen on the board yet.

First, there is NO 4:00 ferry from Hamilton to Dockyard. If you don't get the 3:30 ferry you will have to wait till 4:30. The line for the 4:30 ferry was huge by 4:00 so get there by 4:00 if you want to be sure to get on the 4:30 one.

The Harbor Nights we enjoyed: Goombey dancers, local drum line boys who were amazing and some nice vendors.. Had drinks at Pickled Onion and did this as shore excursion i.e. it was worth it to us to have our own private boat to take us to Hamilton, give us a drink and bring us back w/out dealing with ferry.

Dockyard distances are not bad at all but the little tram is iffy and with Gem docking b4 we do I would not plan on ferry to St Georges first day

Spent day with Colin Jennings today and had fabulous time.. did Fantasy Cave, climbed Gibbs Hill lighthouse and then to the bar at night.. 330 steps or so in one day is too many for old people... we go to St Georges tomorrow on ferry and I'm off to soak my feet :)

Just a few observations and will post more or answer questions when I return but will perhaps add to this anything that I haven't seen on the board yet.

First, there is NO 4:00 ferry from Hamilton to Dockyard. If you don't get the 3:30 ferry you will have to wait till 4:30. The line for the 4:30 ferry was huge by 4:00 so get there by 4:00 if you want to be sure to get on the 4:30 one.

The Harbor Nights we enjoyed: Goombey dancers, local drum line boys who were amazing and some nice vendors.. Had drinks at Pickled Onion and did this as shore excursion i.e. it was worth it to us to have our own private boat to take us to Hamilton, give us a drink and bring us back w/out dealing with ferry.

Dockyard distances are not bad at all but the little tram is iffy and with Gem docking b4 we do I would not plan on ferry to St Georges first day

Spent day with Colin Jennings today and had fabulous time.. did Fantasy Cave, climbed Gibbs Hill lighthouse and then to the bar at night.. 330 steps or so in one day is too many for old people... we go to St Georges tomorrow on ferry and I'm off to soak my feet :)

We have booked the Harbor Nights excursion for next week... was it easy to find your private boat there and back? I have no idea what to expect. :rolleyes: What time did you leave to get there and what time was the return?

Thanks and enjoy your week!!!

Hi Caroline, Do you know, if you, or your fellow cruisers on your roll call, were able to park at Cape Liberty in the back lot behind the cruise terminal? Overspray is still an issue and I'm not sure if they allow parking back there or just out in front close to Bayonne Drydock facility. Thanks in advance.

Not Host caroline bur.....

I was with Collin on June first... and we had a wonderful time... He was paitent with my parents, he explained everything, he was considerate (brought bread for the fish at somerset bridge) The tour with him was one of the high points of our visit...

Cathi

Caroline, glad to hear about Colin, we have him booked for the 20th. Can't wait.

My concern is the transportation situtaiton. We have an excursion booked to Horeshoe Beach the second day and I am contemplating cancelling it, if taking the taxi for 6pp is working out ok. Have you heard anything or experienced anyting with it? This is our first time to Bermuda so really don't want to leave too much to chance, but if things are going well, don't want to spend the extra money either? Any help would be appreciated.

Kathy

Caroline, glad to hear about Colin, we have him booked for the 20th. Can't wait.

My concern is the transportation situtaiton. We have an excursion booked to Horeshoe Beach the second day and I am contemplating cancelling it, if taking the taxi for 6pp is working out ok. Have you heard anything or experienced anyting with it? This is our first time to Bermuda so really don't want to leave too much to chance, but if things are going well, don't want to spend the extra money either? Any help would be appreciated.

Kathy

You really dont need a pricey excursion to Horseshoe. Take the bus directly to Horseshoe and taxi back or taxi both ways. Go early...:D

quick bec. internet minutes running out..

Harbor Nights tour is by boat right near ship, not ferry dock, and they wait literally under bow of Veendam in Hamilton and come back at 10:00 .. if you want to come back earlier have to do on your own (ferry).

No idea re parking in Bayonne... where others parked.. hasn't come up and never tho't to ask. We are right near ship, couldn't really see where drydock area was.. will post more when I get back dep. on car situation for us.

Colin was 6 hrs... Gibbes Hil (climbed), Paget Marsh, Horseshoe (very brief not beach person), St Georges, Fantasy Caves and some nice stops along the way but he will customize how you want it.. took ferry back to ship from Hamilton.

Will be home late SUnday and catch up on questions Monday...

quick bec. internet minutes running out..

Harbor Nights tour is by boat right near ship, not ferry dock, and they wait literally under bow of Veendam in Hamilton and come back at 10:00 .. if you want to come back earlier have to do on your own (ferry).

Will be home late SUnday and catch up on questions Monday...

Thanks, Caroline! We'll be embarking as you are disembarking! ;)

You really dont need a pricey excursion to Horseshoe. Take the bus directly to Horseshoe and taxi back or taxi both ways. Go early...:D

Thank you. Will be cancelling this excursion. Would rather save the money and spend it on something else:D

Hi Caroline, Do you know, if you, or your fellow cruisers on your roll call, were able to park at Cape Liberty in the back lot behind the cruise terminal? Overspray is still an issue and I'm not sure if they allow parking back there or just out in front close to Bayonne Drydock facility. Thanks in advance.

There was nothing in drydock.. we parked in the "regular" parking lot near terminal as did everyone else, I believe.. don't think I would hoof it to that further lot... we have $25 cover that we use when we have to leave car out if we are working in garage and would have used that. We did express disembark which was a breeze and bec. car was close we were on the road at 7:40!

Not Host caroline bur.....

I was with Collin on June first... and we had a wonderful time... He was paitent with my parents, he explained everything, he was considerate (brought bread for the fish at somerset bridge) The tour with him was one of the high points of our visit...

Cathi

In 6 hours we visited Somerset, climbed Gibbes Hill, went to Horsehoe and Warick Bay Beach (just short visit - not beach people), visited two lovesly areas near aquarium, went to St George for lunch stop and a little sightseeing (not long bec. we went back on our own), Fort St Catherine, thru lovely photo op areas, did Fantasy Caves while he waited, went to Paget Marsh and back into Hamilton.. he's a wonderful guy, lots of great tidbits of info re island!

Host Caroline, Thank you for your tips. My husband and I will be in Bermuda on the October 16, Carnival Glory sailing. It will be our first trip on the Glory and our first time in Bermuda.

We are older and have some mobility issues. Can you tell me it how much we will have to walk once we leave the ship. In some ports, like St. Martin, and St. Kitts, there were golf carts or some form of transporting cruisers to the main port area. Are there any things like that in Bermuda ? If not, can you give me an idea of how long the walk will be to the Kings Wharf area? Are there any places to sit down along the way?

I understand there is a tram or something that runs throughout the Wharf area and that there are plenty of places to sit.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

There's complimentary tram that comes to ship and then stops several places around the Dockyard area so getting around should be okay for you.. also there are benches. Glassworks was interesting and in the same shop as the rum cakes which are soo good - worth a stop. Lots of shops in Clocktower Mall as well.

Ferry is easy and tram stops there if you want to go into Hamilton .. lovely ferry ride if nothing else!

That's where we parked on the May 29 sailing. It was really close and we had no problems.

There is a train trolley that runs a round trip type route that you can get on at the exit from the ship. This will eliminate a somewhat long walk on the pier - It will take you through the Naval Dockyard area with several stops througout the route. It certainly is a welcomed ride on the return to the ship - especially if you have trouble walking and are tired. The trolley train is FREEE. Hope this helps you Delta Dear. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks, Doughboy139, I am so excited I wish we were leaving tomorrow. It is little things like the walk from the ship that can cause anxiety. The experience when we got off the ship in Roatan was a shock and not a good experience for us at all. . Ever since then, I check ahead of time. I appreciate you sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi:)..I know this cruise was a Cruise Critic sailing and was wondering

if any of the hosts are going to post a review? I am going to Bermuda

in September. I have been there once but it was only for 1 day

and I just stayed around the Naval Yard, walked around and had lunch

at the Frog and Onion with a friend from the ship.

So this trip (as you know) the ship is in port for 3 days:)...from everything I have read to get to the beach? The Ferry would be

a good choice?:D. I sail solo and not sure if anyone on the roll call

will be doing anything together during the day. What are the Crystal

Caves? I will do another search but wondering if I could get some

information from someone on here too. Just wondering about daytime

stuff for 3 days without "an excursion".

Thanks so much:)

Hi:)..I know this cruise was a Cruise Critic sailing and was wondering

if any of the hosts are going to post a review? I am going to Bermuda

in September. I have been there once but it was only for 1 day

and I just stayed around the Naval Yard, walked around and had lunch

at the Frog and Onion with a friend from the ship.

So this trip (as you know) the ship is in port for 3 days:)...from everything I have read to get to the beach? The Ferry would be

a good choice?:D. I sail solo and not sure if anyone on the roll call

will be doing anything together during the day. What are the Crystal

Caves? I will do another search but wondering if I could get some

information from someone on here too. Just wondering about daytime

stuff for 3 days without "an excursion".

Thanks so much:)

LOIS!! Remember me, Z from years ago? Had to change my screen name some time ago. I remember when you where going on your first cruise! Holly cow, you have done a few.

To get to the beaches from the Dockyard is the number 7 bus. There are buses also that have a sign that says "special." They go right to the beaches. You can also take a taxi.

This is the place to be to get the info on Bermuda. :D Jan Z

LOIS!! Remember me, Z from years ago? Had to change my screen name some time ago. I remember when you where going on your first cruise! Holly cow, you have done a few.

To get to the beaches from the Dockyard is the number 7 bus. There are buses also that have a sign that says "special." They go right to the beaches. You can also take a taxi.

This is the place to be to get the info on Bermuda. :D Jan Z

Hi:)...oh yes, your name was Z but I cannot remember how to spell

the rest of it. Yes, I have been cruising alot LOL...every vacation is

a cruise:D....I would prefer to take the ferry. Can I go to Hamilton

on the Ferry and then take a cab? Have 3 days but on the last day

I will just walk around the Naval Yard. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and good to see you again:)

Janet, I was reading a review that said the Ferry is excellent.

I can walk around Hamilton and St George?

Hi:)...oh yes, your name was Z but I cannot remember how to spell

the rest of it. Yes, I have been cruising alot LOL...every vacation is

a cruise:D....I would prefer to take the ferry. Can I go to Hamilton

on the Ferry and then take a cab? Have 3 days but on the last day

I will just walk around the Naval Yard. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and good to see you again:)

Janet, I was reading a review that said the Ferry is excellent.

I can walk around Hamilton and St George?

Yes, you can. Just keep reading the Bermuda board. There are tons of things to see.

The old screen name was zurmolly...Z as you called me. :D

Yes, you can. Just keep reading the Bermuda board. There are tons of things to see.

The old screen name was zurmolly...Z as you called me. :D

Oh wow:)...yes, I remember now. So nice to see you again:D

Oh wow:)...yes, I remember now. So nice to see you again:D

Are you still in Jacksonville? (if I am remembering correctly) Flying up to Boston the day of or staying over a night?

Archived