From Bermuda: Some Random Notes

Host Caroline

Are you still in Jacksonville? (if I am remembering correctly) Flying up to Boston the day of or staying over a night?

Hi Z:D yes, I am still in Jacksonville. I am not sailing out of Boston but

out of Bayonne, NJ and flying up a day early for sure:D. Celebrity

doesn't sail from Boston but I was there last year:)...last year I went

from NJ to Boston, Newport AND Bermuda. Bermuda was only one day.

This trip is NJ to Bermuda and the ship is there for 3 days:).

Wanna go?:)

Hi Z:D yes, I am still in Jacksonville. I am not sailing out of Boston but

out of Bayonne, NJ and flying up a day early for sure:D. Celebrity

doesn't sail from Boston but I was there last year:)...last year I went

from NJ to Boston, Newport AND Bermuda. Bermuda was only one day.

This trip is NJ to Bermuda and the ship is there for 3 days:).

Wanna go?:)

Now I remember you are a Celebrity fan. We started with Celebrity and have pretty much tried them all except for NCL. We will be heading to Bermuda Sept 16th on the NCL Dawn from Boston. So easy for us. Just a 2 hour trip down the turnpike. :)

So this trip (as you know) the ship is in port for 3 days:)...from everything I have read to get to the beach? The Ferry would be

a good choice?:D. I sail solo and not sure if anyone on the roll call

will be doing anything together during the day. What are the Crystal

Caves? I will do another search but wondering if I could get some

information from someone on here too. Just wondering about daytime

stuff for 3 days without "an excursion".

The caves are neat, but would probably be at the bottom of my three-day list. Same for the Frog & Onion, to me it's just typical pub-grub -- nothing special.

I'm guessing you'll be docking at the Dockyard. Take the ferry to Hamilton, from there you can take a bus anywhere on the island -- so get the two or three-day pass. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you're trying to figure out what bus to take -- they're very helpful. And when you board the bus, say hello to the bus driver and ask him to announce your stop.

My favorite places in Bermuda are: 1) Horseshoe Beach Bay. The southern-shore beaches are all along the southern road and pretty close together. You could easily spend breakfast until dinner just visiting several of the beaches along the south shore road, simply taking the bus from one to another or even in some cases, just walking from one to another. Warwick and Elbow beaches are close and also beautiful. Warwick has beautiful rock formations and Elbow is wide and flat -- each beautiful in their own way.

2) Tobacco Bay Beach, near St. George, is also beautiful. You can take the ferry from the Dockyard to St. George or a bus from Hamilton. While in St. George I'd spend an hour or so checking out St. George and the shopping area. And probably a drink and lunch at the White Horse Pub -- sit out on their deck if it's a nice day.

3) Spend half a day or so in Hamilton checking out the shopping along Front Street. Have a drink and lunch at the Hog Penny Pub. Maybe take the bus from Hamilton to the aquarium and zoo in Flatt's Village. The aquarium and zoo is fun and will take you no more than 90 minutes. Nearby are the caves and the Swizzle Inn. The food at the Swizzle Inn is typical pub-grub but it's fun to at least stop by for a nice adult beverage. So, maybe half a day in Hamilton and the other half day at either the aquarium/zoo or caves/Swizzle Inn.

4) Gibbs Light House is fun. One Hundred eighty-five steps to the top, be sure to take your camera!

5) The Commissioner's House at the Dockyard is interesting (and free). Great air conditioning too, if it's a hot day. Plan on spending one to two hours viewing their exhibits.

So, I'd want to spend my days like this, in no particular order:

day 1: visiting a few of the beaches along the south shore road

day 2: St. George, Tobacco Bay Beach and downtown St. George, White Horse Pub

day 3: Hamilton, the shopping along Front Street, Hog Penny Pub and either the aquarium/zoo or Crystal Caves/Swizzle Inn. You might be able to do both the aquarium/zoo and Crystal Caves/Swizzle Inn in one long afternoon.

And maybe your itinerary will include a half-day you can spend at the Commissioner's House at the Dockyard. And checking out the shops at the Clocktower Mall.

Hi Paul, thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions.:) Too many

things for me to choose from:eek:. Yes, the ship docks at the Navalyard.

I was there last year and had lunch at the Frog and Onion with a friend

from the ship so maybe that is part of the reason I enjoyed it so much:D

Anyway, I don't want to put so much in one day that I feel rushed.

I think I am going to take the ferry on day 1 to Hamilton, walk around

there and take the bus to Horseshoe Bay...stay there for a couple of

hours and then a bus back to the ship.

And on day 2 take the Ferry to St George and someone posted a

Walking Tour from Frommer's guide that sounded very interesting to me.

The one place I wanted to go is Swizzle Inn but you mentioned the

Hog Penney Pub...Pub food there too I am guessing;) but might do

that for lunch before going to Horseshoe Bay.

I guess I do the Swizzle Inn on day 2:)

Day 3 I am just going to hang around the NavalYard since that is

the day we sail back to NJ.

The one place I wanted to go is Swizzle Inn but you mentioned the Hog Penney Pub...Pub food there too I am guessing;) but might do that for lunch before going to Horseshoe Bay. I guess I do the Swizzle Inn on day 2:)

The Hog Penny has "pub" in their name, and it's a pub, but much better food than a regular pub. Very old-school inside atmosphere, much like I imagine an old English pub. And it's just a few hundred feet up a side road from Front Street.

We always get their Bermuda Fish Chowder. When they bring it to your table they'll ask if you want a shot of dark rum and hot sherry sauce. The rum and hot sauce really spice up the chowder -- it's a Bermuda classic!

Yes, don't try to do too much in one day -- that's never a good idea.

Archived